Tri Elmar 28-35-50MM f/4

Guest stanjan0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just cannot understand why Leica has not updated and re-released this lens (and no l don't believe the "we can't get the glass" story). Not only do I think it would be a big seller but would sell more M9's as well. For many folks raised on zooms, the absence of a multi-focal mid-range lens is in-explicable. I bet Leica would sell 10 times as many MATE-3's than they do Summilux 21's.

Every time I go off on a trip, I take my 35 ASPH Lux, WATE, and 90 Elmarit-M with me but it is the MATE that is on my M8 and now M9, 90%+ of the time. Other than as some have mentioned, a slight weakness at 28mm, a great lens.

Last week sailing in Sardinia - MATE at 50mm

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
Add image

Guest stanjan0

Wilson, thanks for looking and commenting favorably on the Mate. I have always been envious of Europeans by their ease of travel, what I mean by that is the countries of Europe are so close together. I learned in grammar school that the distance from Paris, France to Moscow, Russia is approximately 3000 miles the same distance from NYC to LA. on the west coast of the US. From England by ferry to the continent is only hours and the train under the channel the same, wow am I envious. Well maybe some day if the Good Lord lets me. :)

Edited by stanjan0
additional comments, spelling always spelling

Last year bybrett had the best suggestion imo: a 35/75mm, without a third focal length, in order to make the design less complicated and fragile.

I'd gladly accept a bit of getting used to, if the max. aperture at 35mm was 2.8 and at 75mm 4.0.

Since the 35mm frame in the RF is smaller than the one of 28mm, it would be a real pleasure to use, leaving more of the frame unobstructed even if the lens was bigger.

With 4.0 allthrough as the 28-35-50 it would still be a top seller.

Guest stanjan0

Tri, wishes often come true but, I don't think yours will because, I think Leica is coming out shortly with a system that will be more reasonable in price so as to appeal to the greater general public. A new Mate would be stupendous, don't you think? :)

Edited by stanjan0
additional inserts

Let's wait and see. We have our lenses :)

Don't need any more right now, so this is not my concern.

I think Wilson's point is valid and Leica should listen.

Has anyone asked Leica recently why they don't revise and re-issue the MATE? The last time I asked about 3 years ago during a visit to Solms and just before I found mine, I got the "can't get the glass for one of the elements" tale. At a Contax group meeting in Germany about 18 months ago, we had a guy there who worked for Schott Glass. He said that they can make an equivalent for any glass every made, other than the radioactive ones and press glass blanks, again pretty much in any asymmetric format required, so Leica's story does not really stack up. Perhaps it is fear of warranty claims, which would be a reasonable commercial decision. On the other hand if they made it a zoom, it would be mechanically simpler and I am sure there is a more robust way to link the frame change tab than the V2, which in turn was an improvement on the V1.

I was very lucky to find one of the last made and sold as a 30% M8 discount lens, factory coded from new. It had had mount problems right from the start and the original owner got bored with it. It took two more visits to Solms with me but now it is almost perfect. The frame change on my M9 (but strangely not on my M4 or M8) is slightly sticky going from 28mm to 50mm and the 50mm frame is a bit ghostly until I flick the frame change lever.

Wilson

Guest stanjan0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson, thanks for your remarks and yes I think your right that Leica can again make the Mate . Perhaps your guess why they don't sounds reasonable but, there is a host of reasons why they aren't doing so. Good luck on your Mate problems. When I bought my Mate from a supposedly honest seller his description made it sound as a Mate #2 series, unfortunately it turned out to be in the last batch of the series #1. The Mate I bought is in appearance brand new and the images it takes seem OK great to this neophyte, so until I find a series #3 this will do. I will take it and a few other different lens on my 60th wedding anniversary cruise in a few months. All be well. :)

Edited by stanjan0
always spellling, always

I bought the MATE when it first came out and have always loved it. I also bought the WATE version and together they make great companions when I travel on business. When I travel specifically for photography I usually take primes but walking around in good light will often just leave the MATE on.

Regards, Tom

I bought the MATE when it first came out and have always loved it. I also bought the WATE version and together they make great companions when I travel on business. When I travel specifically for photography I usually take primes but walking around in good light will often just leave the MATE on.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

stanjan0, I have only just caught up with this thread. (I would have expected to find it in the Customer Forum). I enjoyed your enthusiasm and early feelings about the MATE.

I bought Version 2 new for my M6 and was well pleased. Next it joined my M8; initial disappointment. Got it coded and presumably recalibrated because it came back like a new lens. Now it has become a travel lens of choice on the M9 where I find, even at full aperture, TE35 and TE50 produce results indistinguishable from my current Summicrons. It is not first choice when working indoors by available light unless I am able to use a table tripod. TE28 leaves me wanting and I rarely use that focal length unless in extremis. However its distortion is easily corrected in Photoshop, not so its slight lack of 'bite'. Generally its 28mm setting does not perform as well as the other focal lengths and, if I think I am going to need a 28mm, I also carry my excellent current prime Elmarit ASPH which is small and light and hence no additional burden.

MATE's design and construction is a marvel of engineering. It is no hardship for me to treat its complex mechanisms with respect; not molly-coddling, just sensible respect.

While I admit to coming near to selling this lens last year, I now realise what a useful objective it is, even if I mainly use the 35-50 settings. The last upgrade of LR3 seemed to show it in an even better light. Enjoy your new lens and do get it coded if it is not already coded.

Guest stanjan0

David, thanks for your reply, I'll look into coding it but, I'm going on a 70 day cruise in September and thats the main reason I bought it. I'll call Leica in New Jersey, USA, and see what their turn-around is. :)

Edited by stanjan0
sentence structure
  • Like 1

Guest stanjan0

David, thanks for your reply, I'll look into coding it but, I'm going on a 70 day cruise in September and thats the main reason I bought it. I'll call Leica in New Jersey, USA, and see what their turn-around is. :)

Edited by stanjan0
sentence structure

The 28mm focal length is a lot better at f8 or even f16, if it is bright enough. It is only really if I take almost the same shot with my ZM Biogon 25mm, that I notice the softness of the 28mm length on the MATE. It will still be noticeably better than most Canon or Nikon super zooms when set around 28mm and a different world from the cheaper zooms. My sister has a Sigma 18-200 on her Nikon D90 and it is truly appalling. She took a whole lot of photos of my daughter's wedding in South Africa last Christmas and I honestly think a Lomo would have been sharper.

Wilson

The 28mm focal length is a lot better at f8 or even f16, if it is bright enough. It is only really if I take almost the same shot with my ZM Biogon 25mm, that I notice the softness of the 28mm length on the MATE. It will still be noticeably better than most Canon or Nikon super zooms when set around 28mm and a different world from the cheaper zooms. My sister has a Sigma 18-200 on her Nikon D90 and it is truly appalling. She took a whole lot of photos of my daughter's wedding in South Africa last Christmas and I honestly think a Lomo would have been sharper.

Wilson

I agree that TE28 is probably better than many zooms wide open. Apart from my initial testing, I rarely operate the lens stopped down lower than f/11 and favour f/56-8 regardless of focal length setting. In fact I think the optimum performance is about f/8, after which it deteriorates marginally. It is close to its best performance wide open!

I agree that TE28 is probably better than many zooms wide open. Apart from my initial testing, I rarely operate the lens stopped down lower than f/11 and favour f/56-8 regardless of focal length setting. In fact I think the optimum performance is about f/8, after which it deteriorates marginally. It is close to its best performance wide open!

Last year bybrett had the best suggestion imo: a 35/75mm, without a third focal length, in order to make the design less complicated and fragile.

I thought this was a great idea if optically possible. 35/75 or 28/50 would replicate widely used combos for simple travel requirements, no lens changes, etc. We should ask Leica for it!

I thought this was a great idea if optically possible. 35/75 or 28/50 would replicate widely used combos for simple travel requirements, no lens changes, etc. We should ask Leica for it!

I'm going on a 70 day cruise in September and thats the main reason I bought it.

Perfect lens for the purpose. If possible, just make sure you also bring something faster for lower light conditions. I have been to several sunny locations carrying just the MATE and a Lux (35 or 50). The former typically carried 80% of the workload, but f/4 can become quite a limitation at times.

I'm going on a 70 day cruise in September and thats the main reason I bought it.

Perfect lens for the purpose. If possible, just make sure you also bring something faster for lower light conditions. I have been to several sunny locations carrying just the MATE and a Lux (35 or 50). The former typically carried 80% of the workload, but f/4 can become quite a limitation at times.