Zeiss 21 f/4.5 with M9

mas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard a rumor that the Zeiss 21 f/4.5 is incompatible with the M9 because of specific color issues having to do with the angle of outside sensors and the position of the back of the lens. Any truth to that?

According to post #249 on this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/186830-new-firmware-1-162-m9-online-13.html

the ZM 21 f/4.5 still has trouble on the M9 with the newest firmware (yes it did before, too)

There are some samples showing the color problems the f/4.5 has on the M9 here (old firmware):

Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 ZM Review

A USA retailer had this on their website at one time as the only one of the ZM range not recommended for the M9 by Zeiss USA. I just checked and that is no longer on that retailer's website.

You might like to ask Zeiss directly?

A USA retailer had this on their website at one time as the only one of the ZM range not recommended for the M9 by Zeiss USA. I just checked and that is no longer on that retailer's website.

You might like to ask Zeiss directly?

The website of the US retailer I've bought several of my Zeiss lenses from, Popflash, still has a warning on the 21mm F4.5 Biogon page that states,

"ZEISS DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS LENS IS USE WITH THE LEICA M9 DUE TO COLOR SHIFT!"sp

I use the ZM Biogon 21mm/f4,5 on M9. Color shift is well visible even with the 1.162 firmware. (The same firmware allows near perfect correction, instead, with the CV UW Heliar 12mm/f5,6, now.)

The Biogon 21mm/f2,8 seems to be mandatory if color shift correction must be taken in account. In my specific case, the "other" Biogon is of choice because I just make B&W with it and, most important to me, the 21mm/f4,5 distortion is the lowest possible. (A comparison about distortion on Zeiss original data sheet is suggested).

The edge correction of the new firmware is very dependent on the ISO setting. I use a CV 21 Skopar and results are very good at ISO 160, especially at wider apertures. (Lens set for the old 21 2.8) I'd expect the same from the Biogon 4.5. If you shoot white walls you will find slight discoloration on the left edge at F11, but I never see it in normal photos.

I got the CV to use on film, where I use 100 ISO, so finding it now works well on the M9 at 160 is a great bonus! As an old film user I seldom use the high ISO settings on my M9, so needing to use 160 with the 21 isn't a limitation for me, especially since slow shutter speeds are easy with the 21.

The edge correction of the new firmware is very dependent on the ISO setting. I use a CV 21 Skopar and results are very good at ISO 160, especially at wider apertures. (Lens set for the old 21 2.8) I'd expect the same from the Biogon 4.5. If you shoot white walls you will find slight discoloration on the left edge at F11, but I never see it in normal photos.

There must be some sample variant because my 21mm Skopar is appallingly bad on my M9 at any ISO and any aperture.

Steve