Tested "good" SD card poll for M9

ggriswold

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seems like lots of folks are having trouble with various SD cards. I thought it would be fruitful to have a thread of SD cards that are known good. If you have had no problems with a specific card please list:

Brand

Size

Version Details

Speed Rating

Some manufacturers continually change the labeling of their cards so it can be tricky to nail down the exact card. Let's see what comes of the poll and hopefully it will be a resource for people looking for cards that work OK.

Hoodman 16GB black SDHC card Class 10

Hoodman 32GB "Steel" SDHC card Hoodman claims above Class 10 performance.

Never a problem with either card in the M9. I also use these for Sony EX-3 recording which is quite demanding. Not the cheapest cards around, but they work every time.

Sandisk Ultra, Extreme (2, 30mb transfer) and Extreme Pro (2, 45mb transfer), all in 8 gig cards, and no problems. Many other 2gig Sandisk cards which are now all with my daughters- had no problem with them either.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Panasonic 4GB class 10 SD HCs. They're a wonder, and not expensive, and less likely to be counterfeit.

ETA: I have had trouble with Sandisk Extreme III SD cards. Just one or two going south, which isn't surprising given how many I've bought having a DMR, an M8 and now an M9. But the Panasonics really do work extremely well (as in noticeably more quickly) with the M9; the other benefit is that they're also quite fast to read out in a UDMA reader (like the Lexar dual pro CF / SD).

There are also newer ones with ridiculously high read / write rates. I haven't tried those yet, but I'm going to :)

Edited by Jamie Roberts
  • Like 1

My list is: Brand, Size, Label, Class. Here you are:

• Fujifilm, 16 GB, Fujifilm SDHC, Class 6

• SanDisk, 16 GB, Ultra SDHC, Class 4

• SanDisk, 8 GB, Extreme SDHC, Class 6

• SanDisk, 8 GB, Extreme Pro SDHC, UHS-1

• SanDisk, 2 GB, Ultra II SD+ Plus USB, Class 4

• Transcend, 16 GB, Premium SDHC, Class 6

Can't get many exposures on the 2GB Ultra II SD+ card, but they are neat, and I tested mine just to know if they worked. And they do.

There is a WindoZe bit of software which will test a card for integrity and whether it is a manufacturer original. It's been mentioned here. I have a Mac so I'll leave y'all to search for it.

Never had to deal with this crap with film.

Edited by pico

I have three Transcend SDHC 16GB class 10 cards, that I bought about a year ago, all are working fine.

I also have a panasonic card, and a couple of sandisks, which have been fine, but I don't use them as much, and don't have them with me to see what model they are.

- Steve

Sorry, I should have read closer, my card gives problems, it's a Genuine SanDisk 32GB class 4 (15MB/s) - endless issues with multiple photos not being written, stalling of camera on current and last firmware.