When can we expect a reasonably good screen and fast image review?

movito

Someone privy to its engineering (or very smart) will create a USB to external device (iPad?) for post-image viewing. New wireless is going to go through the roof for speed soon, so maybe a wireless device will suffice. I still do not need, nor want live view, even though I have one camera that has it. '

\\

Strong feelings of deja (live)vu now in this thread... :rolleyes:

Think I'll sit the rest of this one out while it dies a death and wait for the next seemingly innocuous question to be asked that brings the usual suspects into the fray.

In the meantime I am going to prepare some boilerplate answers to save time and effort next time around; after all, until Leica actually announces something new all this is all just one big mass debate.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

One thing I hope they do introduce in the next model is the set button in the middle

of the scroll wheel, I find it a bit awkward for some reason to the side and naturally

make for the middle of wheel, probably from use of other cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, that's a weird customization that steals a valuable button slot on the left of the screen and adds motor confusion when using the joypad.

'motor confusion' is well described, I just keep making the same error :)

I also always end up in the 'protect photos' menu by accident too, so even

if it was just used for that function alone I would be happy, not that I ever use it..

I also agree with this. And I think people can go buy what they are are looking for in a Canon/Nikon body without waiting/wanting leica to produce what is basically a dslr.

As soon as CaNikon builds a DSLR that accepts Leica M lenses, removes the pentaprism, and installs a viewfinder (possibly rangefinder focusing) -- I'll buy that DSLR :)

I like Leica's for size, image quality, and I enjoy film photography. I don't care what Leica does as long as it is reasonable improvements without trying to make the M series a DSLR. A new screen, better high iso performance, are not going to put a burden on the camera. I don't understand live view desire with the M9 My mk4 has it and I have never used it.

Exactly. But I don't have any fear Leica is going to turn the M into a DSLR. As for Live View, it is a nice feature and didn't hurt the 5DII vs the 5D, nor did video.

I find the LCD to be an embarrassing part of the Camera. Really Leica? For $7k you put on a $20 lo-res LCD? If Leica changed the bottom (or top) plate to 'reinforced polycarbonate' to cut cost, that would not be acceptable (but would not alter how the camera functions) - however an LCD is an integral part of the camera (whether or not you use it). The cheapy buttons are also annoying.

I certainly didn't buy an M9 for the rear screen, and I use it occasionally to check exposure/flash, and for menu settings. If Leica really can't improve the LCD for the M10, my advice is to just leave it off. I would rather not be insulted.

A 5DII size screen won't fit easily - however a screen that provides the same image size will. Make it a true 2x3 screen, and overlay the exposure info (or toggle it off) and it fits (as long as the bezel/frame can be minimized). The main issue really is the low resolution. (An iPhone screen is $55, there has to be an affordable solution).

And please don't tell me to go buy a DSLR. I have one. That's why I bought an M9. Hopefully the M10 will let me SELL my DSLR.

Screen Comparison 5dII on the M9:

http://photos.revolve.cx/img/v24/p550537921.jpg

Edited by kevin2i
  • Like 1

Actually, thunderbolt could be proved a very solid foundation for Leica to finally dump that useless USB port for something fast and also with the ability to project directly in monitors or shoot tethered.

No one has done it either, its a fairly new IO interface.

And I'll bet it passes away in a quiet death. Apple is rumored to be dropping it.