Upgrade M9 to M9P Merged Thread

jaapv

HA! This is a good one! Can you imagine what they would say if I sent mine in

for an ‘’up grade’’

Story: Once Bill Monroe sent his precious F5 mandolin back to Gibson for a minor

repair…. that’s all he wanted and asked for.

Gibson decided because he was a big star to refinish the instrument completely.

Monroe, when he got it back a saw what they had done…. took out his pocket

knife and cut the mother-of-pearl Gibson logo out of the headstock.

• 2 months later...
Cleaning, Lubrication, and Adjustment.

Pete.

Thank you Pete!

Is it that wise to upgrade? It costs almost that much as the Leica Elmarit 28mm ASPH... :confused: But on the other hand, if the M9 has to be checked then it would be wise to take the upgrade program?!?!

Could somebody explain the pros/cons of the upgrade program, if the M9 is out of warranty? Thx!

• Like 1

Thank you Pete!

Is it that wise to upgrade? It costs almost that much as the Leica Elmarit 28mm ASPH... :confused: But on the other hand, if the M9 has to be checked then it would be wise to take the upgrade program?!?!

Could somebody explain the pros/cons of the upgrade program, if the M9 is out of warranty? Thx!

Well you surely would get an extra warranty after the two year service. If you use your m9 in rugged situations, and there are chances it may get damaged due certain conditions, I think the extra warranty is a big help. The cosmetic changes however is completely personal taste, some people like the way it is, some people like the P version better. However, Cla will usually cost you anyway, so its an ok package.

But for me, personally, I wouldnt do it. Id rather spend the money on a lens, or buy some tickets to somewhere for a short holiday trip.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I talked to CS Solms today. Upgrades, either crystal screen or full upgrade to M9P will be available from October onwards. The price of a full upgrade will be 1050 Euro net (EU add VAT)

But it will save you the cost of an extended guaranty if your camera is about two years old then (mine will be past two years) so that makes it quite reasonable by Leica standards.

I booked the second week of November. By then it will have been through an extended trip in Africa and need a CLA anyway, making it even more attractive. Chrome I think, and an extra engraving of my name at the back :)

Does anyone know if Leica still offers this service to M9 owners in 2017? I'm soon sending my camera in for sensor replacement - and since the camera will be away for so long, I'm considering an upgrade. Jaapv - if I understand you correctly, the cost (six years ago) to replace the crystal screen and the top and bottom covers was 1050 Euro?

Not the screen - that costs considerably extra. I do not know whether they stll do the upgrade as a package, but changing top and bottom and a-la-carte leather should be possible. Ask them.

I am looking at getting top and bottom plates changed from original black to M9-P silver chrome, and Leica have confirmed they can do this.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my M9. Did Leica indicate to you what the cost would be?

I had my M9 upgraded to M9-P (sapphire glass, top and bottom plate) last year in 2016 when I sent the camera to Leica @ New Jersey for a CCD sensor replacement. They charged me $2K (US Dollar) for the upgrade. The CCD sensor replacement was no cost.

I understand some folks get attached to their cameras, but at least here in the UK it would be cheaper to sell or part exchange an M9 and buy an M9-P than spend that amount on an upgrade. An upgrade would give mint parts I suppose.

Thanks d0c0m0.

I understand some folks get attached to their cameras, but at least here in the UK it would be cheaper to sell or part exchange an M9 and buy an M9-P than spend that amount on an upgrade. An upgrade would give mint parts I suppose.

Oridinarily that would make sense, however with the current sensor issue, it would be better to upgrade a M9 with a new corrosion resistant sensor.

The coating on the rangefinder window had almost completely peeled off, and the sensor needed replacement.  So when the repair centre said that the top plate needed to be replaced in order to fix the rangefinder window, I figured now was as good a time as any to go M9-P.  I've asked for:

- complete service and clean

- rangefinder adjustment and calibration

- silver chrome M9-P top and bottom plates

- sapphire LCD screen

- new standard leatherette

- free sensor replacement

Everything comes to about AUD$2500.  It's more than the difference between selling my rather used M9 (about $3500) and buying a mint secondhand M9-P (about $4700-6000), but it will be like having a brand new camera except for the shutter, and it will have the new sensor.

The only negative is that since the work is being carried out by the official Leica repair centre in Australia, it will take 7-8 weeks because the parts need to arrive from Germany. :(

Edited by Archiver
  • Like 1

The coating on the rangefinder window had almost completely peeled off, and the sensor needed replacement.  So when the repair centre said that the top plate needed to be replaced in order to fix the rangefinder window, I figured now was as good a time as any to go M9-P.  I've asked for:

- complete service and clean

- rangefinder adjustment and calibration

- silver chrome M9-P top and bottom plates

- sapphire LCD screen

- new standard leatherette

- free sensor replacement

Everything comes to about AUD$2500.  It's more than the difference between selling my rather used M9 (about $3500) and buying a mint secondhand M9-P (about $4700-6000), but it will be like having a brand new camera except for the shutter, and it will have the new sensor.

The only negative is that since the work is being carried out by the official Leica repair centre in Australia, it will take 7-8 weeks because the parts need to arrive from Germany. :(

Actually my M9 is also at Camera Clinic for a sensor replacement. Did you make the request to upgrade your M9 to M9-P with Camera Clinic or with Leica Australia?

Actually my M9 is also at Camera Clinic for a sensor replacement. Did you make the request to upgrade your M9 to M9-P with Camera Clinic or with Leica Australia?

I made the request to Camera Clinic, who then queried Leica about parts and prices.  I believe that Camera Clinic contacted Wetzlar directly.  The labour component was very reasonable, only a few hundred out of the $2500.

Edited by Archiver
  • Like 1

I had my M9 upgraded to M9-P (sapphire glass, top and bottom plate) last year in 2016 when I sent the camera to Leica @ New Jersey for a CCD sensor replacement. They charged me $2K (US Dollar) for the upgrade. The CCD sensor replacement was no cost.

I forgot to mention that the upgrade also included the black M9-P leatherette.

Leica NJ gave me a choice to choose between smooth MP-style leatherette and black M9-P leatherette. I chose the latter one.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...