New firmware for M8 is online

If you downloaded it using Safari it will already be unzipped. Right click on the file and select 'info'. Does it have a 'UPD extension?

If you downloaded it with Firefox it will not of automatically been unzipped.

Trust me, this is user error not a problem with the file.

Just remember most people don't use Macs, and some people who use Macs don't use Safari (which automatically unzips the firmware - Firefox doesn't)

I have tried and I am using Safari. As you say Safari Unzipps any files and opens automatically .The last thinng as you says when I tried to Unzipp manually by clicking left and opening the diologues, it lead me even to the apple store apps to find a Programn.

The answer was no. Safari can't open etc. etc.

This afternoon< Do Henry.> from the forum send me a unzipped File. Even it did not helped me and i could not do it.

I am thinking is there some thing wrong with my memory card which is 4G HDHC Panasonic?

I send a mail to Leica Firmware support and see if they can help me or I am going to see Richard Caplan Leica sub retailer and i can get help from him.

Thank you guys, for all you for your time and kindess to help me in this matter and i really appreciate it and I owe you a big thank.

I am still happy with what I have with my M8 though!!!>>>>>>:D

Is this new firmware applicable to the M8u?

Lets examine the bits that could/can be upgraded: frame lines, saphire lcd cover, vulcanite, black dot and the shutter.

- New frame lines, 100% mechanical not related to fw.

- Saphire lcd cover, not related to fw.

- Vulcanite covering, not related to fw.

- Black dot, not related to fw.

- Quiet shutter, related to fw - same as M8.2.

Off cause the new firmware can be used on an upgraded M8, last time I looked it was still an M8.

C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tried and I am using Safari. As you say Safari Unzipps any files and opens automatically .The last thinng as you says when I tried to Unzipp manually by clicking left and opening the diologues, it lead me even to the apple store apps to find a Program

Look in your downloads folder

I expect there are .upd files waiting for you there.

• Like 1

Cyril Jayant

Look in spotlight, enter .upd and that will find the file, hover the pointer over the file result and you will see the path to where it is.

If you click on the file you will see it cannot be opened, it should not :D

Drag and drop to the SD card.

I'm sure Richard Caplan will help but please get them to demonstrate the technique for the future.

Good luck

• Like 1

Merci ma poule! ;-)

Oui, oui, Henri... J'ai fait bien les choses... Mais il y a un "je ne sais pas quoi" qui se passe au moment de reinitialiser l'appareil. Sinon, après, pas de problème. C'est juste pour le faire redémarrer. Je fais venir demain de Paris le deuxième M8 et on verra bien si j'ai le mëme problème.

Amitiés de Bilbao.

If you are in Madrid we can try to do the upgrade from my laptop and my card. I have done it without problems...

Lets examine the bits that could/can be upgraded: frame lines, saphire lcd cover, vulcanite, black dot and the shutter.

- New frame lines, 100% mechanical not related to fw.

- Saphire lcd cover, not related to fw.

- Vulcanite covering, not related to fw.

- Black dot, not related to fw.

- Quiet shutter, related to fw - same as M8.2.

C

Sorry to be OT, but are these upgrades still available? I have an M8u, and was thinking about getting the new frame lines.... along with the new firmware, then put a red bow on the camera and call it renewed!

Still very happy with the M8, works well and takes lovely images....

I doubt the theory that there was any improvement of high iso performance due to the last firmware update. But what I noticed since I bought the M.2 two years ago that with every update of the raw processors noise got less of a problem.

Regards,

Steve

PS: Actually I seldomly need anything higher than ISO 320

Sorry to be OT, but are these upgrades still available? I have an M8u, and was thinking about getting the new frame lines.... along with the new firmware, then put a red bow on the camera and call it renewed!

Still very happy with the M8, works well and takes lovely images....

Hi,

Well, I just got my M8 back today from Solms with the main 3 upgrades done. Always intended to but just didn't have the cash spare until now. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Well, I suppose it depends how you feel about your camera. Probably more money than the camera's worth, but not to me. I'm not going to sell my 2006 M8 (first batch of black bodies into the UK) and I must say that it's like a new camera now. The shutter is certainly quieter but different sounding to my M2/3s. The frame lines are just great now for middle distance working: what you see is what you get on the monitor! I'm pleased! Probably more accurate than the M9 so I've been told? My monitor was actually broken when working in USA, so I decided to get the sapphire glass too. Nice! Cost me what it says on their web page, which is cheaper than it was some time ago when there was an increase. They also replaced the eyecup, cleaned the sensor, adjusted and cleaned the range finder, and 'adjusted all parts' in with this price.

Leica seemed to delay slightly in returning my camera back to me. It was ready on 20th, but didn't ship until 22nd. I was wondering if the new firmware would have been put in and they didn't want me to receive it until it was officially released. But it returned with 2.005 still in so I'm about to upgrade now. Hoping, having read what people have said, this will add to my 'new camera' experience!

(Got an X100 recently too!)

Best,

Jeffrey.

Apologies for offending the sensitive people below. I'll ask someone else.

Paul Michael

Yes it is, Paul michael, I've installed it on my M8u without any problems.

Pete.

Was my immediate, straight answer not what you were looking for?:confused:

Pete.

Apologies for offending the sensitive people below. I'll ask someone else.

Paul Michael

You will find a dignified silence is often the best approach to comments such as those you received, which obviously caused you some offence. The other posters here can easily discern who has made themselves look silly. Our moderators can also often have a "quiet word" to reign in such behaviour if it becomes repetitive.

You are most welcome here to post any questions at all and the response from Pete was more in line with what you can expect. Prompt, accurate and polite.

Rechecking the UK link it does specify M8 software and does not specify, as far as I can see, that this also applies to the M8u and M8.2. which makes you original question more than relevant.

Edited by chris_livsey
additional coment
  • Like 2