Compact interchangeable lens camera coming 09/12

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has one FF camera already, the M9. It won't be cannibalized by the mirorless camera expectedly so the latter should be APS-C or APS-H most probably.

I don't think so. Well, in some sense, yes, the M10 would be for classical rangefinder fans, and the new camera would be aimed to a wider audience, at a lower price (the viewfinder-rangefinder system would be replaced by a electronic system). But this "cannibalization" is not relevant considering the components of the two cameras would be the same (processor, screen, motherboard, sensor...)... so, they would be two variants of the same thing.

Not a matter of hardware IMO. Why would people buy an uber-expensive M10 if they can get a cheaper FF mirrorless camera fitting AF as well as M and R lenses? If the latter is not APS i will send you a bottle of Normandy cider my friend. :D;)

Perhaps it simply will not be any use for the M line by 2012, at all.

I mean, the R line ended its days in 2009, and now that everything is so uncertain with Kodak.

Why not start with completely clean slate, and bet everything on the new camera system.

Let the past be the past and look forward.

:D:D:D:D

Why would people buy an uber-expensive M10 if they can get a cheaper FF mirrorless camera fitting AF as well as M and R lenses?

... just for the optical viewfinder and rangefinder (plus materials, finish and other details, if they want to stress differentiation). I don't know how large the difference in production cost would be, but maybe enough for a substantial price separation.

I don't see a third complete system of lenses for photography, and even less for a competitive APS-C system.

Edited by rosuna

No need for a complete set of new lenses if the mirrorless camera can fit M and R lenses. A couple of AF zooms could suffice in the first place don't you think so?

... if the format is APS-C, no, the compatibility of M and R lenses is no significant for the potential user of that camera due to the crop factor. Anyway, you can use those lenses on any other mirrorless system right now, with adapters. And take a look at the copious offering of lenses of competitors. Next year we will have two more of those systems at least (Pentax and Fujifilm).

The most important differentiating factor have be the format, and a strong/good/full compatibility with M (and R) lenses, in my opinion. Then, you can relax (somewhat) the initial offering of AF lenses.

This is a dangerous moment for Leica because they have to make a decision. On one hand, the current available technology is a strong determinant. On the other hand, technology evolves very fast, and once a decision is made, you cannot change it and you are chained to it forever. The original 4/3 system from Olympus is a good example of one such conceptual error in establishing a new system.

I think Leica has this question open yet:

Leica's CEO talks mirrorless again

Edited by rosuna
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Precisely, - the mirror less APS-C market begins more and more to look like the proverbial shark pool.

And that is as known, - according to Leica, - not anything for them.

Let us have a camera with a FF sensor.

We Leica fans are niche people.;)

I agree. Full frame for a good compromise of perspective and compactness. Stand out from the crowd with full frame and lose the mechanical focus mechanism that plagues the repair workshop. No autofocus.

I'm so pleased by Fuji's announcement. I was thinking I might be shelling out for a Nex7. Now my film M's are safe for a couple of years - and I love them.

More fuji talk here

Pete