Sign in to follow this  
Telyt2003

Tern hits the brake and turnstone dance - Telyt 400/6,8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

please have a look at these two birding images taken at the beach:

1) An example of "action wildlife photography";) ('follow focus tracking', manually): This sandwich tern / Brandseeschwalbe (Sterna sandvicensis) had lost its prey (a sand eel) in the air, and "stopped" immediately to avoid flying past it. A tenth of a second later, the bird had snapped the fish again.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...crop_luf-b.jpg

(please click the link)

2) The turnstones / Steinwälzer (Arenaria interpres) below, a juvenile and an adult, performed a dance at the beach.

Both images taken 'hand held' with the sliding-focus Telyt 400/6,8 (at 8), Visoflex2/3, M8, shoulder stock (14188 v.1), and a good strap (14130), both images cropped (distance at least 25 meters in first example, around 4 meters in second example).

Best,

Telyt2003

Edited by Telyt2003

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you, Karl Georg, Stuart, K-H., Dopaco, Dan, Paul!

Some additional informations you may be interested in:

The colours, in this case, were a bit reddish in reality, because the beach was covered by red mud (probably stained by micro-algae). The photo was made with a (B+W) series 7 IR-cut filter in the filter slot of the Telyt.

Since the Telyt 400/6,8 optically is of the "telescope type", and the resulting strong curvature of field (actually a "curvature of the layer of sharpness"), I tend to keep everything intended to be in focus as much in the centre of the image as possible (where the Visoflex's circle of focus is). The composition can be changed later by cropping the image asymmetrically.

However, the "curvature of the layer of sharpness" can be employed as an "extended field of depth", whenever objects at the borders of the image are closer than those in the centre of the image. In this example, the adult turnstone which suddenly jumped when the photo was taken, is still in focus, because I had adjusted the focus to the front of the scene before.

(In the other example, the tern in flight, I was tracking the focus of the bird trying to keep it in the centre of the image. But when the bird suddenly "hit the brake", it lagged behind my movement getting off centre/more towards the border of the image (and thereby actually a bit closer to me than anticipated). Thus, I could use the "extended field of depth" of the Telyt 400/6,8 to shoot the bird immediately without re-adjusting the focus.)

I think this curvature of field/sharpness can be a nice feature (even an adavantage) as long as one does not try to photograph the flat prairie at a long distance.

Best regards,

Telyt2003

Edited by Telyt2003

... the "curvature of the layer of sharpness" can be employed as an "extended field of depth", whenever objects at the borders of the image are closer than those in the centre of the image. ...

... use the "extended field of depth" of the Telyt 400/6,8 to shoot the bird immediately without re-adjusting the focus. ...

Telyt2003

Please, read depth of field (instead of "field of depth"), sorry

Probably a twist inspired by the respective German word(s): I also tend to distort Schärfentiefe (into "Tiefenschärfe")

. Edited by Telyt2003

Very nice and hard to do with a Visoflex.

Cheers Jan

Thank you, Jan!

I found it quite relaxing to do!

Like it very much: Being prepared (exposure set, diaphragm remains -almost- open), permanently follow focus and framing), and hit the release button in the one and right moment. It's just for (great) fun !

As you will know, there is nothing complicated to a Visoflex since it is so basic (with the exception of setting up the equipment!).

The same simplicity I like when using M-lenses.

Finally, you just need to concentrate on a few things, and bring them together in right moment ...

The more it is practised, the more you come into a "flow" ...

In the meantime, I have stopped to mark the frame for the M8 on the screens of my Visoflexes, because it distracted me; I prefer the Visoflex 2 housing for many reasons (my shutter rewind reflex very much likes bringing the mirror back into position after each shot), and have stopped using the exposure meter since long ...

Best,

Telyt2003

...you sound like a thinking photographer who is not afraid to work hard to achieve results, Telyt2003. Excellent images, particularly when put into context - thanks for reminding us that an over-reliance on technology is no substitute for good technique.

...you sound like a thinking photographer who is not afraid to work hard to achieve results, Telyt2003. Excellent images, particularly when put into context - thanks for reminding us that an over-reliance on technology is no substitute for good technique.

Thank you very much for your kind words, aesop!

"To work hard", is this case, I would translate into "Regular practise, moving out, having fun. And document your results".

Telyt2003

Thank you, Jan!

I found it quite relaxing to do!

Like it very much: Being prepared (exposure set, diaphragm remains -almost- open), permanently follow focus and framing), and hit the release button in the one and right moment. It's just for (great) fun !

As you will know, there is nothing complicated to a Visoflex since it is so basic (with the exception of setting up the equipment!).

The same simplicity I like when using M-lenses.

Finally, you just need to concentrate on a few things, and bring them together in right moment ...

The more it is practised, the more you come into a "flow" ...

In the meantime, I have stopped to mark the frame for the M8 on the screens of my Visoflexes, because it distracted me; I prefer the Visoflex 2 housing for many reasons (my shutter rewind reflex very much likes bringing the mirror back into position after each shot), and have stopped using the exposure meter since long ...

Best,

Telyt2003

I have many really nice photos using the 400 and 560mm 6.8 lenses, but what got me thinking was one day at a bird marsh I ran into a man using a canon with a 100 - 400mm and as we walked the 3 or 4 mile walk around the marsh he was getting way more shots because by the time I did all the focusing and messing with the viso most of the time the bird was gone, and he had maybe 4 or 5 pictures for my one.

It was fun to use Viso but I decided to sell all of it for a GH2 and 100-300mm now I'm getting more shots than I know what to do with. Can't post any because there not Leica shots

I am hoping leica comes out with a larger sensor the GH2 and at least one lens that equals a 400mm

Auto focus would be nice for this old guy.

Cheers enjoy the Visoflex.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LCL999
      I have a rather marvellous 400mm Telyt. It has a male 39mm O.D. thread which is bigger than the standard LTM. The normal way to connect it to an M series camera is to use a 16466 M which provides the matching female thread to a male M bayonet (23mm flange-to-flange), plus a Visoflex I or II which has M-bayonet to M-bayonet to connect to the camera and is 41mm flange-to-flange. The Visoflex houses the reflex mirror plus bits sticking out to set and trigger the mirror.
      Now that I have an SL, I don't need the Visoflex. It would be nice to replace it with a simple 41mm spacer with M-bayonets on each side. i.e a dummy Visoflex. Does such a thing exist?
      Alternatively I could replace both the Visoflex and the16466 with a 64mm spacer, 39mm female thread to male M-bayonet. Does such a thing exist?
      The third alternative is disassemble the Visoflex. I haven't tried that. If I do, what problems might I face?
    • By LocalHero1953
      Leica TL2 black body, boxed and complete (straps, cable, instructions, charger, alternate power socket pins).
      Additional two batteries (3 total), matching Visoflex EVF Type 020, steel lug pins (2 nr), black dummy pins (2 nr), lug pin removal tool.
      Excellent condition, no significant marks, fully working with no problems. The outer box is a bit tatty at the closure point but intact.
      I bought the TL2 a year ago, used, from the Leica Shop, Vienna, as a back up for my CL for travel. I would keep it but it has been replaced by a full-frame Sigma fp.
      The TL2 sells for just under £1000 on ebay, and the Visoflex for another couple of hundred pounds. Including the Visoflex and batteries, this is a bargain!
      Postage or courier charges will be added at cost, to be agreed before final sale.
    • By Charadis
      I recently found a super deal on a Visoflex 020 being sold by Adorama through auction listed as having major defects; the details described as "** Item Notes: Viewfinder does not switch back to LCD screen properly; Likely proximity sensor issue; May have other issues; Cosmetic condition is E ** 

However, the price was too good to pass up, less than half price of a brand new one. So I took a chance and bought it. When I received and tried it out, to my surprise, it worked, but there were green lines across the display. The lines went away when I angled the viewfinder to the max 90 degrees angle, but only temporarily. Issue returned when I adjusted the angle of the viewfinder again. 
      I spent the latter half of a Friday evening/night before I pinned the problem down to the LCD connection to the main board. I started disassembling the base module where the unit connects to the camera at the hot shoe. There are four screws at the bottom, then the top of that module can be lifted up and out. There is a swinging door with the tiniest spring that attaches to that top piece, very easy to lose. The door can fall off easily. The hot shoe connection can then be disconnected from the metal hinge assembly by removing two silver screws and pushing back the two plastic tabs securing the connector to the hinge plate. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
      To disassemble the main eyepiece module, the rubber eye "hood" or protector had to be removed; it is held in by double-sided adhesive at the top and bottom inside. Behind that, there are two screws left and right flanking the eyepiece that hold the upper and lower housing together. After I removed those, I spent a lot of time working the housing, trying to figure out if there were any other screws, or if adhesive or tabs were holding them together. Turns out, I took a chance and found out there is a tab on each of the three sides. The bottom comes off, and the main assembly is attached to the top housing. 

The ribbon flex cable connecting the base module to the eyepiece main module had no signs of damage; connection was fine, and removing/reattaching it did not resolve the green-lines issue. There were no breaks on the flex. However, pushing the flex beneath made the green lines disappear temporarily. So I removed the mainboard from the top housing assembly, and found a misaligned connection between eyepiece LCD and the mainboard: see, the connection is crooked 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
      It may have dislodged from the connector after a drop, or perhaps maybe it was never properly installed at the factory. Or maybe the continued adjusting/angling of the viewfinder furthered the loose connection? In any case, removing and reinstalling the connection made the green lines disappear and have not reappeared ever since I reassembled everything together. 
      I tested the eyepiece multiple times on my TL before reassembling everything back together. 

Gotta say, I'm very happy with the viewfinder. Though it seems to pale in comparison to the viewfinder in my recently acquired CL, it is still a very welcome addition. And very fun to use. I'm not a serious photographer, but I'm slowly working my way into a new hobby.. 

Some background; I have repaired other people's smartphones in the not too distant past, and I collect and repair vintage Macintosh computers. After my experience with the TL, Leica cameras are working their way into becoming a new part of my collection. 
    • By J-T
      Hi

I've been procrastinating for a very long time over getting something to work with my M9P for macro work - specifically taking shots of antique/vintage fountain pens I've restored for sale or show.

Technically I should be looking at a whole different camera (or digital Visoflex if I had a later M camera) but it would be great to get something working with the outfit I currently have.

To start with I have a Visoflex III and I have my M9P and a few lenses that suffice to say don't work well for close up.

I'd like to keep this simple and not break the back and I've figure out I'm probably looking at a v2 Elmar-V 65mm f3.5 which is a relatively 'meh' lens specifically built for the Visoflex and won't work directly on the M9 but apparently but does the job.  The Macro Elmar-M 90mm f4 has far too many zeros in the price even for a used one and it is indeed a nice lens.

Here is where I am:

1. Elmar-V 65/3.5 + 16464 universal focusing mount (OTZFO) + 16471 (OTPRO) ring extension
      2. Tele-Elmar-M 135/4  + 16464 universal focusing mount (OTZFO) + 16471 (OTPRO) ring extension

Option 1 gives me infinity to 330mm (13") or 330mm - 270mm focusing distance with EF= 2x or 3.4x (apparently)
      Option 2 gives me infinity to 980mm (38.5") or 980mm - 680mm focusing distance with EF = 1.4x or 2x (apparently)

I'm going to say the despite the Tele-Elmar being a significantly more useful lens outside macro work and with a significantly better optical formula its probably going to be a pain to use for my application use case.

I could look at getting the bellows adapter for the 135/4 but suspect this is just going to get a little unwieldy and out of hand.

Thoughts/experiences?