Owners of a brand-new Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm lens

01af

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This 6-bit code doesn't work on any camera because 001010 isn't assigned to any lens in the first place. So how can you say it worked on your M9? It definitely does not.

Olaf,

The proof of the pudding......

135 T-E coded as 001010

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Uh oh, I think it dawns on me what's going on here: You're confusing 0 and 1, right? White patch is 0; black patch is 1. Obviously the 6-bit code you're using really is 110101.

Olaf,

You are correct I was parroting what someone else said. He showed a photo of his coded Apo Telyt and quoted the 001010 code, when of course you are correct it is 110101. When the code worked on my T-E, I just assumed he was correct in both regards.

Apologies for any confusion.

Wilson

Two weeks ago I spoke to a gentleman from Leica's Customer Care at the Leica booth at Photokina, and he told me that Leica is not going to offer 6-bit-coded bayonet mounts for the Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm anytime soon. When asked why they changed this lens' code from 9-0 to 53-2 last year, he just shrugged. Sigh.

But then, for quite some time now I am under the impression that one Leica department has no idea what the next department is doing, or planning to do. So even though the information above comes directly from a Leica representative at Customer Care, it might still be wrong. Or it might have been correct two weeks ago but won't be anymore next month. Or not. Or whatever. It seems the answer to the question "Will Leica eventually code the Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm?" just depends on who you're asking, and when ... :(

Edited by 01af

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The statement about the coding for Apo-Telyt was made by the product management - not sure whether it was Stefan Daniel or Jesko von Oeynhausen.

Since it was made in the context of the new potential of the M for longer focal lengthes, it seems probable to me that the Customer Care didn't know yet as they are not yet occupied with the M.

Perhaps it was even a spontaneous decision - these people don't always act as a German bureaucrat like me would.

• 1 month later...
Two weeks ago I spoke to a gentleman from Leica's Customer Care at the Leica booth at Photokina, and he told me that Leica is not going to offer 6-bit-coded bayonet mounts for the Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm anytime soon. When asked why they changed this lens' code from 9-0 to 53-2 last year, he just shrugged. Sigh.

But then, for quite some time now I am under the impression that one Leica department has no idea what the next department is doing, or planning to do. So even though the information above comes directly from a Leica representative at Customer Care, it might still be wrong. Or it might have been correct two weeks ago but won't be anymore next month. Or not. Or whatever. It seems the answer to the question "Will Leica eventually code the Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm?" just depends on who you're asking, and when ... :(

This is strange as the new sensor design is surely more suited to the Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm?

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for a 135 ATM that is coded or will be coded by Leica. A dealer said Leica NJ had a demo that came with a 1 year warranty. I asked is it coded and the anser was no. I sent them the article that said all new 135's sold since last September I believe would be coded for free. I am not going to buy a 135 even a discounted demo unless it is coded. Have not heard back if they will code it. I am guessing that Leica NJ does not even have the coded base plates.

I bought a 135 a few months ago and Leica NJ confirmed it is, in fact free. I just sent it off last week.

-jbl

Thanks,

These are hard to find new which is what I want because I want it coded simply for the correct exif data. My dealer has Leica NJ informed he wants one. They had a demo but would not code it for some reason. I think if you bought it after 9/1/2012 they will code them.

Edited by Bill Wendlandt

Since I am not in a big hurry, I will just wait till my normal dealer gets one. I could probably call around like you did to get you MM. Keep us posted on your MM issue after Leica responds. I still think they should just send you a replacement.

• Like 1

Received my 135 Apo back today from New Jersey. All coded and looking like new. The down side is I just bought it last June and now had to pay them $260.00.: =mad:

It sounds there is space for negotiations?

I have bought mine clearly earlier than the mentioned borderline date.

Mine though came from Leica misaligned out of the box (infinity does not align at 6.5mm RF coupling and I had therefore to match one body precisely to this lens in order to shoot motorsports with it.

I am curious, how Leica will handle this lens - I plan to have it fixed next time, I re-enter Germany this year.

I just love this lens, especially wide open - it's the nicest 135mm of them all by a margin (writing this as I am actually preferring classic lenses in other focal lengths).

Keep in mind that Leica NJ will recalibrate any lens if one is paying for the 6 bit coding. My 135 APO is currently in NJ for 6 bit coding and I have asked for it to be brought to factory specs if required. This is no different than any other 6 bit coding I have had them perform. The Test Certificate they provide is a nice added touch.

I bought mine well over one year ago in June 2011.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

I will forgive Leica prices for most things, but the 6 bit coding con is not one of them.

Did my 135 myself 2 evenings ago (this thread reminded me) ..... it's a low usage lens that has always been spot on with regard to focus so I can live without the testing....

Received my 135 Apo back today from New Jersey. All coded and looking like new. The down side is I just bought it last June and now had to pay them $260.00.: =mad:

Can you kindly provide the code for the 135 APO? I bought mine Nov.2011. Looks like I have to pay another $260.00 too!

Thanks.

Edited by skueh
correction on date