The old 1.162 firmware (changed title)

tuanvo1982

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This issue seems to come up every time an update is released as a ZIP archive: ZIP is the standard archive format under Mac OS X so this OS can deal with it natively. You don’t need StuffIt or any other third-party software for this; in fact StuffIt has been obsolete for many years now. If the downloaded file doesn’t have a ZIP extension then the browser has taken care of this already and the download you see is the unzipped file, ready to be copied onto an SD card.

And remember: Don’t try to open a firmware file. It’s not for you but for your camera.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

Yes, put it in the root directory of a card and follow the instructions.

My Mac isn't set up to automatically unzip files, but I know it's quite common for zips to be automatically unzipped.

Well, thank you very much indeed. It's all worked perfectly now. I'm very grateful indeed that you took the trouble to explain it to me.

This issue seems to come up every time an update is released as a ZIP archive: ZIP is the standard archive format under Mac OS X so this OS can deal with it natively. You don’t need StuffIt or any other third-party software for this; in fact StuffIt has been obsolete for many years now. If the downloaded file doesn’t have a ZIP extension then the browser has taken care of this already and the download you see is the unzipped file, ready to be copied onto an SD card.

And remember: Don’t try to open a firmware file. It’s not for you but for your camera.

Thanks very much.

I think the reason it keeps coming up is because its not explained anywhere that you may not have to unzip the file, its assumed you know which is probably fair enough, but its inevitable that someone like me will try to follow the instructions to the letter, until they know better.

Now I know better, I shan't make the same mistake again! Thanks again for your patient help.

If you're using Safari for the Mac it automatically expands downloaded zipped files.

You can change the Safari settings in "preferences" under "General Settings" to NOT automatically expand downloaded files, in which case then you can unzip it yourself.

But all you have to do is look at the extension to see whether it is a zip file or not.

• Like 1

Just try downloading the file again. On a Mac, all you need to do is double-click it to unzip the .upd file. Drag to root of SD card, put back in camera and power on. WAIT 3 SECONDS HERE Hit "set" to say yes to firmware update - wait until done - reboot. Done.

I did not wait my 3 seconds, or did not realize I forgot, and boy: did I sweat!

But the update went fine, no thanks to me :eek:

I'm wondering if people will have to re-code their WA lenses to get optimal results (I'm thinking of the 21mm pre-ASPH and non-leica lenses in particular).

I suspect there will need to be some new testing of the non-leica lenses to determine the optimal 6-bit settings...

I'll upload the firmware tonight and try it out with my lenses; just in time for my trip overseas. I recently purchased the Zeiss 18mm Distagon, so I'll play with some codes for that as well...

Thanks Leica for the updates.

---Michael

I just downloaded the new Firmware. No issues. However, i just noticed that when i turn my camera on and go to the Info under "Lens" it says "UNCODED"....is this right? all my lens are coded and i swear it didnt say uncoded before the new Firmware.Does anyone else see this?

Edited by nunnzzzz

I'm wondering if people will have to re-code their WA lenses to get optimal results (I'm thinking of the 21mm pre-ASPH and non-leica lenses in particular).

I suspect there will need to be some new testing of the non-leica lenses to determine the optimal 6-bit settings...

I'll upload the firmware tonight and try it out with my lenses; just in time for my trip overseas. I recently purchased the Zeiss 18mm Distagon, so I'll play with some codes for that as well...

Thanks Leica for the updates.

---Michael

I sincerely hope I'm not kidding myself here, because the improvement in the performance of my ZM21 Biogon 2.8 in the first three shots I've tried appears to be quite dramatic. No red. None.

(Now I wait for someone to explain why this is impossible, since nothing in the upgrade addresses this issue. Or some such foolishness. Anyway, I'm a sucker for placebos, and this is a good one!)

• Like 1

... nothing in the upgrade addresses this issue.

Perhaps it is me who is misreading it but isn't this exactly what the upgrade notes say? (colour calibration for all wide-angle lenses). If there is absolutely no red left then they did a really good job indeed.

No issues here either.

funny stuff with this upgrade. put zip on card, upgraded the camera and off to shoot : today Im in the Hotel shooting with my WATE meeting rooms and sleeping rooms.

A blessing - I thought - since I'm using wide angles and did a good long shooting in the morning. To be honest the WATE never posed me any problems but I updated anyway - couldnt hurt.

For the first time I saw a red center in my photos - before than this, only in my m8 days - was easily corrected but granted, lightning sucked there.

But still, funny enough, in a firmware that is supposed to fix the wide angles problems, forces me to see for the first time a red blob problem that I never seen before !

I sincerely hope I'm not kidding myself here, because the improvement in the performance of my ZM21 Biogon 2.8 in the first three shots I've tried appears to be quite dramatic. No red. None.

(Now I wait for someone to explain why this is impossible, since nothing in the upgrade addresses this issue. Or some such foolishness. Anyway, I'm a sucker for placebos, and this is a good one!)

Peter,

I hope there are improvements that are appreciable for all the work they've done. I was thinking mostly of the people who have a lens that isn't coded as the 'actual' lens, so that would probably be the Zeiss lenses mostly, but may also have been older non-code Leica screwmount lenses, for example.

I know that a lot of people coded the 21mm f4.5 Zeiss as something other than the 21mm Leica, for example. And there have been complaints about the 21mm pre-ASPH lens not being corrected enough. If they have changed the amount of correction in some of the codes, that will probably cascade down to affect the corners on lenses that are using hijacked codes to get corner correction.

It's not a real problem at all, it'll just take a little time for the 'best' codes to shake out of the mix for people using non-leica lenses.

---Michael

Just did a full test with the CV 12/5.6 and the new firmware using all lens codes from the manual list from the start up to and including all 35 mm lenses and I found that the best code is still the 11134 (21 f/2.8 non-asph) when it comes to vignetting and colour correction. But strangely enough code 11606 (28/2.8 asph) produces also little discolouration, but quite a bit more vignetting.

Here the CV 12/5.6 at f/11 with coding 11134

11134.jpg

Here the CV 12/5.6 at f/11 with coding 11606

11606.jpg

Personally I'll stick to the 11134 coding that I've put on the bayonet.

Problems with Firmware upgrade.....I loaded the new Firmware what i thought was successfully, WHen i go into the Menu on my M9 it references the new Firmware, However, under "Info" i notice my all my lens say Uncoded. Now i find out that i cannot take any picture at all, The shutter will not fire....Anyone else having problems or suggestions?