Show Your M Lens Knowledge

Beyder28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since 1994, the lens barrel of the Elmar-M 50/2.8 has a kind of black metal shroud adding a couple millimeters to the barrel itself but the new lens mount is slightly thicker as well so that it is difficult to be sure if the new lens protrudes more deeply into the body. (Elmar 50/2.8 from 1962 and Elmar-M 50/2.8 from 1994).

Can you measure both lenses - the length from the bayonet's flat contact surface to the very end of the tube?

My 2.8/5cm (#16336xx - in the middle) has a sharp black ridge at the tube's end, which makes it almost as long as the Elmar-M (on the right) with the broad black ridge; the 3.5/5cm (#11854xx) has no black ridge.

Though perhaps you can see that the bayonet contact surface is lower for the oldest lens and the highest for the newest lens - this compensates for the total length of the collapsed tube, which does not differ much for all three of them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered from this forum and other sites is that the "cron" is the best all around 50mm lens including better ergonomics and sharpness while the "lux" has better bokeh. I have seen some comparison photos of the two and they both have great bokeh but the lux is more "buttery" bokeh and I feel like thats personal preference at that point. What you guys think?

Can you measure both lenses - the length from the bayonet's flat contact surface to the very end of the tube?...

Yes about 19 mm (Elmar 50/2.8 from 1962) and 17 mm (Elmar-M 50/2.8 from 1994), both focused at infinity.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered from this forum and other sites is that the "cron" is the best all around 50mm lens including better ergonomics and sharpness while the "lux" has better bokeh. I have seen some comparison photos of the two and they both have great bokeh but the lux is more "buttery" bokeh and I feel like thats personal preference at that point. What you guys think?

That's correct.

But ... Summicron 50mm of different periods are not the same.

The last one (type IV with 3 types of mounts and same optical cells) is the "best performer".

Some people prefer other Summicron (type I or II or III) for other reasons than contrast/resolution.

I myself prefer Summilux-M 50mm pre-asph for the kind of pictures I take.

It's out of focus imaging "sublimate" ordinary portraits more than Summicron.

Arnaud

• Like 1

Depends on who you ask.

Some say the lux is equal to the cron, stop for stop, but handles flare better.

Ergonomics? My black paint 50 lux is my favourite lens ever in this regard.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will the new Lytro camera technology eliminate the need for this discussion? The company states that they have extreme low light capability with very shallow depth of field and the ability to focus the image in any location in post processing.

As old adage in computing; rubbish in - rubbish out.

No matter how good this new sensor is going to be it will require some sort of optics in front to FOCUS and PROJECT image onto the sensor.

Can you imagine human vision without eye? Answer this and you will get the answer to your own question.

• 1 year later...

Marginally on topic, but has anyone besides Ken Rockwell put together a comprehensive guide to M mount lenses, with individual reviews & comparisons? Rockwell's blog was a great help to me when I was starting out, but he is 1 opinionated SOB (not necessarily a bad thing) & I'd like some 2nd opinions.

I was more looking for the advice about distinguishing between the different 50mm Summilux and Summicron lenses that are out there.

Not specifically to reply to the above cite, but I include it because it pertains to your question, Seezee. Erwin Puts has lots of very wordy reviews of lenses and cameras and his recent ebook is, imho, very good (and fun to bring on the iPhone and read when waiting for the tram).

Otherwise the typical recommendation for in-depth competent (and lacking-in-hyperbole) reviews is Sean Reid's (pay-for but worth it) site.

There was a comparison of several older and modern 50mm lenses in LFI last year. Re-prints can be ordered. It's worth a read.

But, methinks (though others may disagree), there's nothing like trying out lenses for oneself, selling (usually to little loss) if one is unhappy, and then buying another lens.

And, ultimately, I think one can use almost any age lens for almost any situation. I have a 1950 Summitar which I adore for the results it gives on film and which I happily used with my Leica II during the Christmas hols last year because my M3 had developed a sniffle (which eventually killed it but oh well). And I equally adore my 50 Asph and my 50 pre-Asph for the results they give. There is a bit of a hint of "must have the latest greatest most high performing Leica lens" these days. Or, well, perhaps it is not only these days. A swift search brings up interesting threads at the old Greenspun forum about lens choices and the discussions are not entirely dissimilar to what we see here and elsewhere today.

My next film, I have decided, will be shot in my old Mamiya Sekor 1000 with a simple rather dusty 50/1.4. Or perhaps my Canon A2 with the 28, we'll see. Just for the hell of it, keeping it real and not forgetting that also non-Leica stuff actually registers visible light almost as well as equipment that originates in Solms.

Edited by philipus

Seezee, I don't know if you have looked in the WIKI at the top of each page but, it can be used to uncover a huge amount of information on any topic that has been covered on the forum

Thank you so much for your post. Much of what you say has cleared many things up for me. Do you have anything to say in regards to the 50mm rigid i over the others (since Ive read in a few different places that people still consider it to be the best 50mm ever). Would like some feedback as to why exactly people say this.

I realize that this thread is old but, I notice that nobody ever addressed the question of the 50 rigid. There are some (Seth Rosner) that would say that at f5.6 aperture the overall performance of the DR Rigid 50mm Summicron surpasses that of any other 50mm lens Leica has produced.

The unique characteristic of the images this lens produces has a look that is unique from the other lenses discussed here.

The construction and build quality are unsurpassed. Erwin Puts says, "The lens [DR Summicron] is very solidly built and represents the art of Wetzlar mechanical engineering with lavish attention to every detail."

Although, I own the 50Lux ASPH, the DR version of the Rigid is probably one of those lenses that just continue to amaze me. The DR will focus down to about 20". On the new M you will be able to have the lens focus cam milled down to fit the M8-M cameras.

I believe this lens going to become a very sought after lens. Sorry, for the response from a thread from last year.

Edited by RickLeica

Seezee, I don't know if you have looked in the WIKI at the top of each page but, it can be used to uncover a huge amount of information on any topic that has been covered on the forum

Thanks, @RickLeica; I never noticed that link.