Show Your M Lens Knowledge

Beyder28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since 1994, the lens barrel of the Elmar-M 50/2.8 has a kind of black metal shroud adding a couple millimeters to the barrel itself but the new lens mount is slightly thicker as well so that it is difficult to be sure if the new lens protrudes more deeply into the body. (Elmar 50/2.8 from 1962 and Elmar-M 50/2.8 from 1994).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

Like I said before, Im looking to invest a large sum of money into Leica and one would think that others on this forum would take that more seriously since almost everyone here has made a similar large investment.

If you're looking for an 'investment' then I'd suggest you speak to a good financial advisier about your other options.

Again I will repeat the fact that I was more looking for the advice about distinguishing between the different 50mm Summilux and Summicron lenses ... Im looking to invest a large sum of money into Leica ... .

If you rmain (or most frequent) subjects are nudes, then you might think again about restricting the choices to Summilux and Summicron lenses which might have other qualities than those preferred for nudes.

Next, if the amount you're going to spend qualifies with respect to your means as an investment, you'd not be wise to squander it on uncertain sources such as an anonymous auction site. I am sure that there must be reliable sellers in or near New Jersey where you can find a useful lens.

Guys...the OP asked for specific lens advice, not financial advice...stick to answering the poor man's question:confused:..I'm already in trouble for this:(

Seriously though,to be fair I think he probably meant finaicial outlay, rather than financial investment...

but there may be a much better financial return in photographing nudes:cool:

Mark:)

Edited by MarkP

If you're looking for an 'investment' then I'd suggest you speak to a good financial advisier about your other options.

The word "investing" does not only pertain to something you do for profit which may requires a financial advisor. If you are going to buy Leica glass in the hopes to get the most for your money in terms of quality and longevity, that too is considered an "investment." I don't believe I ever wrote anything in this thread implying that I was looking to buy a lens for the purpose of making a profit on it.

Hard to believe that had to be explained. :confused:

You don’t ‘’invest’’ in an M-9 you buy one. The return on this purchase is good photos.

Lol. You just defined what an investment is. If you are older than your join date to this forum, there is no excuse for not knowing that:D

If you rmain (or most frequent) subjects are nudes, then you might think again about restricting the choices to Summilux and Summicron lenses which might have other qualities than those preferred for nudes.

Next, if the amount you're going to spend qualifies with respect to your means as an investment, you'd not be wise to squander it on uncertain sources such as an anonymous auction site. I am sure that there must be reliable sellers in or near New Jersey where you can find a useful lens.

Just to clear things up, I was joking about shooting nudes. That was a smart ass reply to another forum member. The only nudes I shoot are that of my infant daughter.

Please note that in any of my posts did I mention glass, I was speaking about the M-9

body and the body only. I’m surprised you didn’t notice. You are quite correct concerning the definition

of an investment…. yes indeed, it can be such for more than profit, monetary profit I mean.

Edited by Washington
Addition

I occasionally add up the current market value of my Leica gear and compare it to what I paid for it. The current value increase is about 20% i.e. about 5-7% per year. The whole (small) pile includes a M8 that has depreciated substantially but nevertheless one might argue that Leica gear is indeed a (minor) investment.

Also, as I am not planning to sell anything soon my financial gains will remain completely virtual.

My main question hoewever is why is this increase in value seen as a bad thing? The "no, Leica's are not an investment" mantra.

Facts are otherwise, they are both investments and great cameras.

Well, if portraits (Clothed or otherwise) is the primary usage, the 75mm Lux is a great choice (yes Lux... Deal with it). However my day bag has the collapsable 50, macro 90, and when the mood strikes a 28 f2.8. My night bag is another story.

I occasionally add up the current market value of my Leica gear and compare it to what I paid for it. The current value increase is about 20% i.e. about 5-7% per year. The whole (small) pile includes a M8 that has depreciated substantially but nevertheless one might argue that Leica gear is indeed a (minor) investment.

Also, as I am not planning to sell anything soon my financial gains will remain completely virtual.

My main question hoewever is why is this increase in value seen as a bad thing? The "no, Leica's are not an investment" mantra.

Facts are otherwise, they are both investments and great cameras.

Don't be a sissy. Buy 20 each of everything, hold it and sell it. Make it a real investment.