Show Your M Lens Knowledge

Beyder28

And Lux?

A brand of soap I believe - gives clean results no doubt.

As for the OP, none of the lenses you mention are anything other than excellent. Some may be more excellent than others, but I guarantee you'll be more than happy with whatever you buy.

As I showed here (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/95761-safe-collapse-50mm-elmar.html#post1004269), it is safe to collapse the 50mm Elmar. Those of a nervous disposition might prefer to only collapse the lens when mounted and to dismount the lens only after extending it.

The danger, such as it exists, is that the lens throat gets scuffered (not that you should think this is easy to replace, it's not). There is no danger at all to the shutter.

• Like 1

Beyder,

Why you're so defensive about my comment?::confused:: I have never had such an inappropriate reply to one of my posts:mad:, nor have I had to write a reply such as this. I'm astounded that you thought I was giving anything but 'real advice'.

Although from the tone of your post you implied you were a Leica pre-newbie and gave no clue to your experience, I was specifically NOT assuming you were a photographic novice, but was trying to give but respectful and useful information in a light-hearted manner in a relatively long post (in fact I was supportive with respect to Valdemar's Cron Lux comment). As an aside I happened to mention you may reconsider your 2nd choice of focal length after buying your first. I also came from SLR background (Nikon film) and since using a Leica have changed my priorities in use of focal lengths.

You ignore the bulk of my post, don't even acknowledge my attempt to help, and have a go at me about one miniscule point (I knew it wasn't your question which was why it was tucked down the bottom of the reply). Lars, an experienced and respected member of the forum, felt my advice was sensible (and by the way I think he was spot on about considering the Summarits). I'm sorry you did not think so.

In retrospect Valdemar was spot on in the tone of his posts to you:mad:.

Edited by MarkP

OK let's try it again.

1. As suggested above, the Summilux asph (# 11891) is probably the most performant 50 ever. If you're after a sharp lens, you can hardly find out a better lens.

2. From f/2.8 to f/11 the last pre-asph Summilux 50 (# 11868) is hardly discernable from the asph. Only significant difference is more softness at f/1.4 and f/2 which can be desirable if you're after a smoother rendition and/or you take portraits of not so young people. I use both lenses personally and would miss the last pre-asph which is my favorite 50 for portrait. My mother in law says she looks younger with it, i wonder why. :rolleyes::D

3. I'm using one Summicron (# 11819) as well. You cannot go wrong with this lens but only you can say if you need more speed or not. Honestly, comparing those 3 lenses, the only reason for me to use the Summicron is its smaller size compared to the 2 Summiluxes which are significantly bulkier and are less flare prone than the 50/2.

4. Not sure if you asked about slower lenses. The Summarit 50/2.5 looks very good but i don't like its bokeh so my favorite is the Elmar 50/2.8 (# 11831) which is almost as sharp as the Summilux asph with a smoother bokeh and virtually no flare at all.

5. I've been purchasing many lenses on eBay, mostly to perfessional dealers offering a one year warranty. No problem at all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Beyder,

Why you're so defensive about my comment?::confused:: I have never had such an inappropriate reply to one of my posts:mad:, nor have I had to write a reply such as this. I'm astounded that you thought I was giving anything but 'real advice'.

Although from the tone of your post you implied you were a Leica pre-newbie and gave no clue to your experience, I was specifically NOT assuming you were a photographic novice, but was trying to give but respectful and useful information in a light-hearted manner in a relatively long post (in fact I was supportive with respect to Valdemar's Cron Lux comment). As an aside I happened to mention you may reconsider your 2nd choice of focal length after buying your first. I also came from SLR background (Nikon film) and since using a Leica have changed my priorities in use of focal lengths.

You ignore the bulk of my post, don't even acknowledge my attempt to help, and have a go at me about one miniscule point (I knew it wasn't your question which was why it was tucked down the bottom of the reply). Lars, an experienced and respected member of the forum, felt my advice was sensible (and by the way I think he was spot on about considering the Summarits). I'm sorry you did not think so.

In retrospect Valdemar was spot on in the tone of his posts to you:mad:.

It seems to me that you are being more defensive that I was and if you read my original post and then read yours, please point out the part where you suggest anything having to do with my main question/concern? It sounds like you are more worried about what people think of you on this forum than anything else.

Again I will repeat the fact that I was more looking for the advice about distinguishing between the different 50mm Summilux and Summicron lenses that are out there. I dont mean any disrespect towards anyone but I dont feel I wrote anything in my original post that should have triggered some of the responses that I got. Like I said before, Im looking to invest a large sum of money into Leica and one would think that others on this forum would take that more seriously since almost everyone here has made a similar large investment. I assume when some of you were starting out with Leica, you too were looking for direct serious answers/suggestions rather than reading people talk about Italian cars and soap.

OK let's try it again.

1. As suggested above, the Summilux asph (# 11891) is probably the most performant 50 ever. If you're after a sharp lens, you can hardly find out a better lens.

2. From f/2.8 to f/11 the last pre-asph Summilux 50 (# 11868) is hardly discernable from the asph. Only significant difference is more softness at f/1.4 and f/2 which can be desirable if you're after a smoother rendition and/or you take portraits of not so young people. I use both lenses personally and would miss the last pre-asph which is my favorite 50 for portrait. My mother in law says she looks younger with it, i wonder why. :rolleyes::D

3. I'm using one Summicron (# 11819) as well. You cannot go wrong with this lens but only you can say if you need more speed or not. Honestly, comparing those 3 lenses, the only reason for me to use the Summicron is its smaller size compared to the 2 Summiluxes which are significantly bulkier and are less flare prone than the 50/2.

4. Not sure if you asked about slower lenses. The Summarit 50/2.5 looks very good but i don't like its bokeh so my favorite is the Elmar 50/2.8 (# 11831) which is almost as sharp as the Summilux asph with a smoother bokeh and virtually no flare at all.

5. I've been purchasing many lenses on eBay, mostly to perfessional dealers offering a one year warranty. No problem at all.

Thank you so much for your post. Much of what you say has cleared many things up for me. Do you have anything to say in regards to the 50mm rigid i over the others (since Ive read in a few different places that people still consider it to be the best 50mm ever). Would like some feedback as to why exactly people say this.

It seems to me that you are being more defensive that I was and if you read my original post and then read yours, please point out the part where you suggest anything having to do with my main question/concern? It sounds like you are more worried about what people think of you on this forum than anything else.

Re-reading Mark's post I can see nothing in it but common sense. I certainly can't see why you appear to have taken offence at what he wrote.

• Like 2

Do you think your photography is going to magically improve by several orders of magnitude if you have such equipment?

Let the guy be happy buying & using Leica gear. Do you think that your photography needed Leica to make progress?:D

Re-reading Mark's post I can see nothing in it but common sense. I certainly can't see why you appear to have taken offence at what he wrote.

Come on man, why doesn't anyone read any more? I never said that what MarkP wrote never made any sense. I said it did not address my main concern. It seems to me that many on here just want to argue.

...Do you have anything to say in regards to the 50mm rigid i over the others (since Ive read in a few different places that people still consider it to be the best 50mm ever)...

I have no experience with the "rigid" sorry, i can only comment MTF charts from a French author, Jean-Marie Sepulchre, who compared different lenses on the M9 (EAN13 : 978221241).

- From f/5.6 to f/16, the rigid is the sharpest Summicron ever but the current version is very close;

- at f/4 the rigid is a bit sharper in the center but the current is sligtly better on the sides and in the corners;

- at faster apertures, both versions are still excellent (f/2.8) and very good (f/2) in the center but the current version is significantly sharper on the sides and in the corners.

What is the difference between the 50/2.8 Elmar-M "SHORT" version and the rest of the early models?

Well... there was also the "old" Elmar 50/2,8 (NOT Elmar - M) which is quite a different lens (indeed, less "short" when extended) and is rather common both in screw and bayonet mount - see Wiki section for details.