90mm Elmarit 2.8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for a nice first version chrome 90mm Elmarit or a 'fat' Tele-Elmarit from the same period and came across this on e-bay :eek:

The 'going' price for a nice Elmarit about the same age as the one below is around about £250/300 euros it seems BTW.

A decent 90mm Summicron from the same period went for £220 today on e-bay too.

Leitz Leica Elmarit 90mm 2,8 - new, MINT and never used on eBay (end time 20-Jun-11 14:36:38 BST)

Edited by Twotone

Thanks jc, there's no way that a lens such as this is really worth nearly £1400 collector's item or not.

I've seen mint ones priced from dealers @ 290 euros and B graded ones at about 220 euros.

BTW, jc which lens would you recommend, the 'fat' tele-elmarit or the 'ordinary' elemarit or indeed any other 90mm lens?

I'm really looking for a lens that is close to the lens set (50, 90, 135) sold with the M3 during the period when the camera was sold. I mainly only take B&W pics btw.

Thanks.

Tony

BTW, jc which lens would you recommend, the 'fat' tele-elmarit or the 'ordinary' elemarit or indeed any other 90mm lens?

I'm really looking for a lens that is close to the lens set (50, 90, 135) sold with the M3 during the period when the camera was sold. I mainly only take B&W pics btw.

Thanks.

Tony

Personally I found that on the standard Elmarit, the focusing ring is larger and far from the camera body, this making more easy/accurate to use.( I used one for many years) The Tele is shorter but relatively heavy.

Lenses performances are very similar.

• Like 1

I have both and always preferred the "nano" Tele Elmarit for its outstanding compactness: really excellent for carrying (for example, fits the std. case of Ms); but, as JC says, performances are similar, and the Elmarit is less costly supposed equal conditions : also the removable lenshead can be considered a plus if you like to play with Viso/Macro/Bellows etc...

• Like 1

Thanks guys:)

Standard Elmarit it is then as cost is a consideration with the Tele version about double the cost of the standard one however in saying that someone sold a Tele version here in the classifieds last month for 190 euros but I missed the advert until the lens had been sold.

Such is life:D

Tony

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys:)

Standard Elmarit it is then as cost is a consideration with the Tele version about double the cost of the standard one however in saying that someone sold a Tele version here in the classifieds last month for 190 euros but I missed the advert until the lens had been sold.

Such is life:D

Tony

The Tele has two very different versions, the last named indeed Tele Elmarit - M and styled like the Tele Elmar C 90 for Leica CL : this sometimes can be found for cheap because it has the fame of suffering of a curios and typical fogging of the back element due to a component used in the assembly (a grease, if I remember well)... in general is a less-valued version, even if the uncommon "made in Germany" variant is rather valued as a collectible.

Anyway, also the "classic" Tele Elmarit can have a very wide range of cost... the chrome is rarer, and I have seen, for instance, black items with very worn paint... and some scratches on the front element... as any item aged 40 years or more, and not TOO rare, its value can be rather low if in less than good conditions.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

The Tele has two very different versions, the last named indeed Tele Elmarit - M and styled like the Tele Elmar C 90 for Leica CL : this sometimes can be found for cheap because it has the fame of suffering of a curios and typical fogging of the back element due to a component used in the assembly (a grease, if I remember well)... in general is a less-valued version, even if the uncommon "made in Germany" variant is rather valued as a collectible. .

I have seen a lot without this phenomenom... :confused:

Anyway, also the "classic" Tele Elmarit can have a very wide range of cost... the chrome is rarer, and I have seen, for instance, black items with very worn paint... and some scratches on the front element... as any item aged 40 years or more, and not TOO rare, its value can be rather low if in less than good conditions.

I have both of them, "as new," in black and chrome and I have paid top notch... for them.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot without this phenomenom... :confused:

I have both of them, "as new," in black and chrome and I have paid top notch... for them.

Hi jc, did you pay anywhere near the price, relatively speaking, for the chrome one in the ebay link?

No need to mention the price BTW.

Just interested, no intention of paying anything like that sort of money.

Thanks again.

Tony

Hi jc, did you pay anywhere near the price, relatively speaking, for the chrome one in the ebay link?

No need to mention the price BTW.

Just interested, no intention of paying anything like that sort of money.

Thanks again.

Tony

Absolutely NOT, I was speaking about the fat/short Elmarit's some years ago, 700 /800 €.

• Like 1

Tony,

have you seen the one for sale in the Buy&Sale Section

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/market/listing/4330/Elmarit_90mm_f28.html

Thanks jc, yes I've had a look at that one (price has dropped recently) but I've got my eye on a mint 1966 chrome lens from the guy I bought my 50mm Summicron from, I just have to convince my wife that it's a bargain before I pull the trigger:D

Product details Collectcamera

Right price and good shop : go ! ;)

Hi luigi, bought it:cool:

Can't recommend Collectcamera enough BTW.

PS, am I correct in thinking the black one for sale in the forum is an Elmarit-M?

The serial number 2427*** indicates 1970 according to the WIKI.

Tony

Hi luigi, bought it:cool:

Can't recommend Collectcamera enough BTW.

PS, am I correct in thinking the black one for sale in the forum is an Elmarit-M?

The serial number 2427*** indicates 1970 according to the WIKI.

Tony

In the Buy & Sell section I see (offered from Spain) an Elmarit 90 2,8 in black : exactly like the one you bought, apart finishing : Elmarit - M 90 2,8 is quite different.

• Like 1

The seller from Stockholm has incredibly high prices for most items - old Minoltas for four or five hundred dollars that are easy to pick up for one-tenth of the price elsewhere. I think the business model is one that ebay has made possible: price your product astronomically and wait until you find the one person in the big-wide-world out there who is willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

the lens turned up tonight in as described condition and I can only say that it is in fantastic condition given it's age. It's not in as good condition as the Rigid Summicron I bought from the same guy back in January (that was described as mint) but it's pretty damn close.

I love it on the camera and I like the 90mm image in the viewfinder, I've shot a couple of photos in low light wide open so when I get them developed I'll post them up, also I'll stick a couple of digital images of the lens up tomorrow.

Can't really recommend the seller enough, his service and products really are first class as is his communication.

Regards,

Tony

Hi guys,

sorry they're a bit late but here are some pics of the lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!