M8 with VC 75mm F/2.5 review and images!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 75mm Color Heliar Review

So I finally got this review up. I have been spending a lot of time with this lens since the fall. I have completed a huge project with this lens exclusively. An ebook of the work is coming too. I have completely fallen for this lens in a major way!

For me personally, I would choose this lens over the new Heliar every time. The rendering on the Color Heliar is so unique! I would love to spend time with a 75mm summicron and see how it really compares in the long run. Any opinions on this lens versus the Summicron 75?

http://gallery.ancientcityphoto.com/photos/i-CFFNLsK/0/L/i-CFFNLsK-L.jpg

• Like 7

Its real competitor is the Summarit 75... from your tests (and my experience with the Summarit) I'd say they are rather close : not possible a scientific comparision of course ... but my impression is that at 2,5 the Summarit has an edge on sharpness, and a different bokeh, difficult to describe...

Anyway, I think this is one of the most interesting of the Voigtlander lenses (ok... don't call them CV or VC... ;))... I'd like to see a similar test also on the 90...

Well Sean Reid at ReidReviews says if the CV 75mm cost the same as the 75mm Summarit you would only choose between one or the other based on the subtle differences in rendering. I have the 75mm CV and I can't see anything wrong with this lens, it is very good, never mind the money factor.

Steve

The abbreviation was for Voigtlander-Cosina.

And why do you think you'd have to invent new names? Today, Voigtländer is a brand name of the Cosina company—still there doesn't exist a company or a product called "Voigtländer-Cosina" (much less "Voigtlander-Cosina" :rolleyes:).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Allow me to revive this oldish thread.

I got my Heliar 2.5/75 some days ago and I am already in love with it!

Almost perfect on my M8 - and even the focus sits where I want it to be.

Here a test-shot (wide open) on my NEX-7 in order to see if that lens can deal with a 24 MPix sensor.

It definitely can!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I like the 75mm FOV and bought a new Voigtlander 2.5/75 Color-Heliar (with LTM adapter) on ePay for $350 as a stopgap whilst waiting the 8-9 months for my 2.0/75 Summicron APO for my M9. I should add that I had no interest in the 1.8/75 Heliar

When the APO arrived I decided to keep the Voigtlander.

The Voigtlander is small, light and compact with excellent IQ. The CV renders very gently in an older lens style.

Furthermore, I don't need to worry about it if I'm going somewhere where I might otherwise be concerned about my more expensive lenses.

On my comparison of the lenses however, with respect to IQ, a Summicron it is not! Softer/pastel colours, less contrast, less micro-contrast, and less sharpnes. But it is only a 10th of the cost of the Summicron but 80-90% of it's performance. The Voigtlander is excellent, the Summicron is extraordinary.

That is why I've kept both of these great lenses, but for very different purposes.

• Like 3