Waiting for the 350mm lens

JMacD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's another handheld 280/4 plus 1.4x APO shot on the S(006) - this time, my friend Charles Knill-Jones preparing to race a Bugatti at Goodwood

Full frame with centre and corner crops

Thanks. That's really remarkably good, particularly from a lens that wasn't originally intended to cover the format.

Charlie, you really should give a 300/2.8 APO a try on your next race meeting!

You handle shooting these manual focus long lenses beautifully and the 300/2.8 would open a completely new range of possibilities due to its aperture and available excellent 2x TC.

Charlie, you really should give a 300/2.8 APO a try on your next race meeting!

You handle shooting these manual focus long lenses beautifully and the 300/2.8 would open a completely new range of possibilities due to its aperture and available excellent 2x TC.

Dirk,

Sure I would love to have this too, but I am already stretching my wife's tolerance of my Leica habit. Sadly, as an amateur, I can't really write it off against my business. :(

• Like 1

Just an idea although I do not know the technical side, Leica could reintroduce the R 300 & 400mm modular lenses, with the 3 AF focus modules in S mount. Might be easier than that 350 F4... :)

Edited by WTL

• 11 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just read in another thread that the Hassy 300 is an excellent alternative to the Contax 350.

Given nothing from Leica, I suspect they expect users to go with the 300 or 350 forever.

Can anyone give further input on this choice of H 300 vs Zeiss 350?

Just read in another thread that the Hassy 300 is an excellent alternative to the Contax 350.

Given nothing from Leica, I suspect they expect users to go with the 300 or 350 forever.

Can anyone give further input on this choice of H 300 vs Zeiss 350?

The Zeiss 350 is superb optically (APO) but focuses quite slowly and it is huge and very heavy. Can't imagine taking this on a safari, for instance. The HC 300 focuses as fast as native Leica lenses, is excellent optically as far as I can see, and is much lighter (2kg vs approx 4 kg, if I remember correctly). Also, the Zeiss 350 is a rare beast to find on ebay, with prices correspondingly high. On the other hand, the HC sometimes pops up at a reasonable cost; I paid a bit over Eur3k for mine. With both of these lenses, I recommend you think hard how much and for what purpose you will be using them. My experience has been that it is often better to use an APS-C Nikon/Canon/Pentax or whatever with a compact, fast autofocusing 300mm lens equipped with image stabilisation, especially when shooting from a confined space, in low light etc (thinking a safari vehicle now, having found a lion pride at 6:30AM). As for using these telephotos for landscape detail, yes they will deliver superbly but will you really hike with an S camera, heavy tripod and a bazooka lens in your rucksack to capture those landscape details? OK, landscape photography within short distance from your car is one good use, car racing another and perhaps studio portraits (but I find the 180 more than long enough in that latter scenario). I've heard of people using such combinations for bird and wildlife photography but, again, I think these lenses may not be long enough and there are probably better solutions available.

Edited by albireo_double

I am waiting for Leica 350mm lens for S-system as well, but in the meantime I am using Hasselblad FE Tele-tessar 4/350 T* and CFi Tele-Superachromat 5.6/350 T* to fill the missing gap.  For longer lens, I use Hasselblad CF Tele-Apotessar 8/500 T* or CFi Tele-Superachromat 5.6/350 T* together with a 1.4X Apo-Extender

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Inspired by some of the posts higher up in this thread - anyone having a Lei-Ko Leica R to S adapter, or knowing about any other adapter(s) connecting Leica R lenses to a Leica S body? Please give me a word...

Why not order the Lei-Ko adapter from it's maker/producer? 

I have - no response...

Yes, there are other options around, but I ask since I have the wonderful APO-Telyt-R 280/4.

Also I did use the Hasselblad H 300mm with the adapter made by Leica.

Great autofocus, fast electronic aperture control and Central Shutter up to 1/750th 

Just like a native S lens to be honest!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jipvankuijk/albums/72157663297936552

Nice photos!

Edited by helged

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Why stop at 350mm I would like to see 600mm for safari and birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk