• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL seems to me that whatever Leica 'give', people will always want something else.   Black paint? No, they want black chrome.   Chrome? No, they want black.   Black? No, they want chrome.   Grey paint? No, they want chrome.   Black chrome? No, they want paint.   Red dot? No, they want a black one, or no dot at all.   No dot? Where's the dot?!   This could go on............

Then you can feel the plight of Canon users who are stuck with an aging EOS-1Ds Mark III (3.5 years) or EOS 5D Mark II (2.5 years); the EOS-1D Mark IV is just two months younger than the M9 … (all three pretty fine cameras in their own way, despite their age)   Eventually Leica will come up with an M10. Maybe it will have a CMOS sensor, although it isn’t obvious which sensor it will be. Sony’s 24 MP sensor is a bit long in the tooth by now. There is Sony’s new ‘wonder sensor’ that’s in the Nik

Having now read about 100 messages arguing over whether it is possible, or even desirable, to improve upon the M9's design, I'm reminded of the book "The Little Prince," which teaches that we grow to love the things we waste our time on. Before I bought my M9, and had talked myself into such an expensive purchase, all I could see were the limitations of the camera in comparison to the features of cheaper DSLRs. Then I bought it, and proceeded to lavish it with several hundred hours of my time to

Posted Images

Leica rumors is talking about an Leica M9-P, what could that be? As written, some dealer might accept pre orders. But, for what? M9 with some material changes? Or just a better glass on the known back screen??

I believe its a standard M9 with a few new features:

A black dot.

A sapphire-glass screen

An auto-bank-balance adjuster. Works only as a pull- not a push- function however.

I expect an announcement (If any) when the new firmware is released. Any support for new lenses will probably be included in the update.

If there is an update I'm hoping for some sort of built in grip i.e. a slight bump front and back to remove the need for a Thumbs-Up. An updated viewfinder would be good too but now I'm in the realms of fantasy.

Leica rumors is talking about an Leica M9-P, what could that be? As written, some dealer might accept pre orders. But, for what? M9 with some material changes? Or just a better glass on the known back screen??

At the opening of the new Leica store in Manchester a few months ago I heard the word "autofocus" mentioned .I was not intended to hear this and was told to "keep it hush".No more worries about front focus shift and similar nonsense.

Brian:D

it would be interesting, if at all possible, to have some sort of electronic signal that you are focused correctly on the subject. you aim, you focus, and when the squares are properly aligned they turn yellow ... something like that ... would help in the dark or with long lenses ... but that's probably an m12 release.

At the opening of the new Leica store in Manchester a few months ago I heard the word "autofocus" mentioned .I was not intended to hear this and was told to "keep it hush".No more worries about front focus shift and similar nonsense.

Brian:D

A M9-P will not have autofocus.

A sapphire screen and a chrome finish are almost a given, I'd say. It's the right time in the product cycle. Black paint too?

Plus, you might get the same level of Pro support as enjoyed by the S2-P owners.

Let's hope it doesn't have red LED frame illumination. Leica have a track record of making a song and dance about not very much when it comes to camera design. Their lenses are more than fine, we need the quantum leap in noise performance to make the M9 a true available light camera and is the tired old viewfinder/rangefinder really the best they can do?

Any quantum leap in that department will surely have to wait for a full version update, noy a point one.

I can not help feeling that any quantum leap will be in the price department when they do get round to a point 2 version .I was in the Mayfair store recently and an M9 body looked almost low cost compared to the way other M system lenses have risen in price.From a " serious " point of view I am delighted with my M9 and while I would have prefered a crystal screen and chrome finish I will be unlikely to update in the near future.

Brian;)

Off the track just a bit,

having just inherited a 1948 IIIc and Summitar 50/2.0, I'm astounded by how much smaller and nicer to hold it is than the M9. My ideal upgrade or new model would be a truly smaller full-frame digital M.

Mark

Edited by MarkP
Hoping that a P means eliminating soccer-mum features from the menu. Less is more.
No, rumor has it that it is the M9 - Palin - the dumbed down version of the M9 that works fine at -40 °C and in the part of Russia that is visible from Alaska. With smile recognition of course:D
No, rumor has it that it is the M9 - Palin - the dumbed down version of the M9 that works fine at -40 °C and in the part of Russia that is visible from Alaska. With smile recognition of course:D

I heard from a reliable dealer there will be a limited edition Has Bin Laden with infrared focus device and bullet proof photo west with solar battery charger. First I thought of it as a rumor, but now ...

I heard from a reliable dealer there will be a limited edition Has Bin Laden with infrared focus device and bullet proof photo west with solar battery charger. First I thought of it as a rumor, but now ...

A solar charged battery , in the camera , would be a nice feature:)

i have seen all of these same rumors as well, connecting it back to an announcement in the next edition of LFI. i have been holding out for an m9, so i really hope its more than sapphire and black dot.

do we have any indication on when the announcement will be made, and the duration of time from announcement to availability?