Leica 12589 vs 12466 replacement hood for 35 Lux ASPH old

menos I M6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I searched the internet for detailed info on the metal replacement hood Leica 12466 for the old 35 Lux and 28 Cron ASPH.

I am interested in size differences between the standard plastic hood Leica 12589 vs 12466.

It seems impossible, to get any info on this beyond not much saying pictures of the hood.

Does anybody use this hood?

Has anybody a reference image or even dimensions of the scalloped metal hood?

Is this hood providing any significant advantage over the plastic hood?

I am interested, as it removes the locking ring, sometimes confused on the lens barrel and possibly removes depth to the lens in overall dimensions.

How do you cap the lens? Has the hood to be removed and a standard cap be used for storage or can the hood be reversed? …

Many questions and little info on the net about it ;-)

Nothing but this pic sorry. (From https://www.leicashop.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=779)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 1

The silver version was delivered with the M7 Hermès and only 500 copies of the black one have been made IINW.

• Like 1

...Does anybody use this hood?

Has anybody a reference image or even dimensions of the scalloped metal hood?

Is this hood providing any significant advantage over the plastic hood?

I am interested, as it removes the locking ring, sometimes confused on the lens barrel and possibly removes depth to the lens in overall dimensions.

How do you cap the lens? Has the hood to be removed and a standard cap be used for storage or can the hood be reversed? …

Many questions and little info on the net about it ;-)

Yes, I use it - both on the 35mm Summilux and the 28mm Summicron (just saw my M6 on my table in Ict's second photo.... :). When it was announced - and especially it's price - there was so much disgust by many posters in this forum about it that I got it on a whim. Some slight perversity is always worth a try.

Other than the original Summilux hood, it sticks to it's proper position and it blocks the viewfinder less: you just see a small line. It's diameter is obviously much bigger, but it is not longer than the original hoods of the two lenses, shorter than the Summicron's original plastic hood. Lens and hood fit together into the original lens bags.

You can fix the round cap on the lens when the hood is on. Though it can get difficult to get it off again, but it's not impossible, if your fingers aren't too big. Besides the price that's the main disadvantage. On the other hand I so often lost the square plastic cap on the original Summilux hood that I prefer the new solution despite some problems of releasing the cap. If you want to release the hood, you have to take off the cap first.

I don't see any difference in effectiveness against flare between the versions. Some people thought, a round hood might be less effectice, I don't find a proof for this, though it's also not better.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Oops i had the pic on my HD but did not recall where i got it from. You don't mind hopefully? Otherwise i'll ask mods to remove it of course. :eek:

Of course I don't mind! I posted the photo only to spread the information.

P.S.: Perhaps you can see on the photo that the hood ensures the camera to stand in exact vertical position. I' think that was cleverly done.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

I'll give you the measurements tonight.

The hoods themselves are approximately 25mm each for the 12589(35-Summilux) and the new 12466 and 23mm for the 12451 (28-Summicron)- measured from the white spot on the hoods.

The effective length on the lenses differ, as the hoods take different positions on the lenses:

So the combination with the new hood is just a little bit shorter on both lenses than with heir original hoods.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you soo much UliWer!

Your post might very well be the only documentation on details of this lens hood on the net, including all official Leica websites, which do not even mention this hood, as far, as I could find.

Can't wait, to have a hands on.

In the photos, it looks as if the hood has small metal hooks, to grab the lens barrel, similar to the plastic hood for the 35 Cron ASPH.

My sample of the Cron ASPH is scratched on the barrel, where the metal hooks are, which is a pity.

Can this be caused by the new hood as well?

...it looks as if the hood has small metal hooks, to grab the lens barrel... My sample of the Cron ASPH is scratched on the barrel, where the metal hooks are... Can this be caused by the new hood as well?

Not to cut UliWer off at the pass but a lot of Leica hoods have those hooks actually (square plastic 12504 & 12526 for 35 & 28mm lenses; round metal 12585 for 35 & 50; round plastic 12538 for same; round metal 12504 for 35; round metal 12575 for 90 & 135, and so on). They provide a secure grip to some extent but may schatch lens barrels as well. Now if you don't spend your time putting and removing your hoods you stand a good chance to keep clean barrels for a couple of decades at least.

Ict described the "hooks" of the hood exactly - no new design but well known from older hoods. I don't see traces of them on my lens even though I often swap the hood between the 38 and 35mm. To fix it on the 28mm Summicron ist a little bit more difficult than with the 35mm, as you have to find the right position. I think this is not caused by the hood but more by the lens as it's front element is never really fixed - a common problem with this lens.

lct and UliWer,

Thanks very much for your information and photos.

Uliwer: In your first image (showing both 28 and 35 lenses and their hoods with the ruler), is the 28 hood shown the "stock" #12451?. Could you post photos of the 28 'cron separately with the 12451 and 12466 hoods, and especially (all with the ruler): a) mounted on an M camera and viewed from the front - showing width and shape of hoods; B) mounted on an M camera and viewed from the top - ditto; and c) the hoods alone from the "rear" (e.g., flat on a table) - ditto.

From your photo of the 12466 hood on the 28 'cron, it appears that the rear of the hood rests next to the aperture ring, whereas the rear of the 12451 hood (in your first image, and on my lens) is about 1/8" forward of that - does this make rotating the aperture ring more difficult with the 12466 hood?

Do you know whether either the 12589 (original for 35 'lux Aspherical?) or the 12466 hood vignettes with the 28 'cron on film Ms or M9?

Thanks very much.

lct and UliWer,

Thanks very much for your information and photos.

Uliwer: In your first image (showing both 28 and 35 lenses and their hoods with the ruler), is the 28 hood shown the "stock" #12451?. Could you post photos of the 28 'cron separately with the 12451 and 12466 hoods, and especially (all with the ruler): a) mounted on an M camera and viewed from the front - showing width and shape of hoods; B) mounted on an M camera and viewed from the top - ditto; and c) the hoods alone from the "rear" (e.g., flat on a table) - ditto.

Oh dear, what did I start?

I am still busy negotiating my contract with the PR-section of the Leica lenshood department, so I don't find the time to put up my Visoflex on the tripod and get all those rulers in the right positions. ;)

So please give me some days, I' ll see what I can do - though I am not sure about what you want me to measure on those photos: overall length on camera with hoods, diameter of the hoods on the front and from the rear?

Yes it's the stock 12451, which you get when you buy the lens.

From your photo of the 12466 hood on the 28 'cron, it appears that the rear of the hood rests next to the aperture ring, whereas the rear of the 12451 hood (in your first image, and on my lens) is about 1/8" forward of that - does this make rotating the aperture ring more difficult with the 12466 hood?

This is true: the 12466 is fixed very close to the aperture ring, so it is more difficult to touch it than with the 12541. Though I quickly got used to it, and it doesn't bother me. Overall the new hood fits better on the 35mm Summilux.

Do you know whether either the 12589 (original for 35 'lux Aspherical?) or the 12466 hood vignettes with the 28 'cron on film Ms or M9?

The 12466 certainly does show no vignetting with the 28 Summicron on the M9. I don't see any with the 12589 either. The 12589 fits on the same position close to the aperture ring as the 12466.

P.S. I don't know the hood you mentioned in your mail.

UliWer,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that you have your own schedules, and cannot be expected to be exclusively a responder to others' interests.

re: " though I am not sure about what you want me to measure on those photos: overall length on camera with hoods, diameter of the hoods on the front and from the rear?" - what I am most interested in is relative viewfinder blockage with the 12541 and 12466 hoods. That is, does the 12466 hood intrude noticeably less on the 28mm viewfinder frame than the 12541? From your photos, it appears that for length the 12466 is about 2mm "shorter" when mounted on the lens than the 12541 (about 75mm overall lens + hood vs. about 77 mm for the 12541). But I can't tell about viewfinder intrusion - the round 12466 with the curved slot vs. the rectangular 12541 with the cutout.

I apologize for pursuing all these detailed questions, but it's important to me - especially considering the extremely high price for the 12466 (even if one can be found).

Again, I appreciate all the time you have spent on this subject, and the insights you have provided.

... But I can't tell about viewfinder intrusion - the round 12466 with the curved slot vs. the rectangular 12541 with the cutout.

I think you don't get a realistic impression about viewfinder intrusion if you only would measure the two different hoods. When you look though the viewfinder, you have the gap in the 12541, but the outer frame of this gap is much more disturbing than the fine line of the round hood.

Focussed at infinity you see the 12541 just at the corner of the frames for 90mm, the round line of the 12466 is still far away from this corner. Focussed at minimum distance, the 12541 almost touches the rangefinder patch in the center of the viewfinder, while the 12466 just touches the corner of the 90mm-frames.

So the round form of he new hood provides for much less viewfinder intrusion than the original hood.

• Like 1

My ordered hood is still in the mail, but I came by a shop in Shanghai Today, where there were at least two of them in stock (I definitely don't buy the rumor, that 12466 is limited to 500 units).

I picked one up and really like it.

It is overall slightly shorter, has subjectively slightly less viewfinder blockage and does away with the distracting knurled locking ring of the original hood.

While waiting for the colleague…

I recently ordered a 12466 hood for use with a 28 'cron, and UliWer asked me to post any additional thoughts or impressions I might have.

I received the 12466 hood today, and following are my impressions:

The hood is very/ridiculously/absurdly expensive (pick one) - even by Leica standards - and certainly will not be for everyone;

It does not vignette the image at all on an M9 (I assume the same will be true for M film bodies);

It does vignette noticeably (but not substantially) less on the viewfinder than the stock 12451 hood.

Below are a few photos, showing:

Front of camera with 12451 hood and 28 'cron lens focussed at infinity;

Front of camera with 12451 hood and 28 'cron lens focussed 0.7 meters;

Front of camera with 12466 hood and 28 'cron lens focussed at infinity;

Front of camera with 12466 hood and 28 'cron lens focussed at 0.7 meters;

Viewfinder (partial view) showing intrusion of 12451 hood relative to 90mm frame; and

Viewfinder (partial view) showing intrusion of 12466 hood relative to 90mm frame.

• Like 5