Elmarit 28 ASPH on a film M?

stephen.w

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking of buying a new 28mm Elmarit ASPH to use on my M6 and was wondering whether there are others who are using this lens with a film M and can recommend the combination?

I've read a few negative things about it - that it was designed for use on the M8 with its crop factor, and suffers slightly from softness and falloff in the corners when shot on a full-frame camera.

One of my main reasons for wanting the lens is its smallness. I used to have a Summaron f3.5 35mm, and loved the compactness that it provided when combined with the smaller dimensions of the classic M6, but was ultimately unhappy with the softness of the lens.

Obviously the 28mm field of view is a matter of personal taste, and I'm not asking for advice on that - just on how the lens renders, handles, etc.

Hi Stephen,

The Elmarit-M 2.8/28 ASPH is PERFECT for your M6.

It's my favourite combo. Sometimes I use a separate 28 finder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

More to read here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/47855-28-asph-elmarit-film-use.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/33755-m6-new-elmarit-m-28-mm.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/technology-industry/140489-aeroflot.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/129216-tea-house-zeist.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/153571-plustek-7600i-se-very-good-money-7.html#post1567287

Hope tis is some help,

kind regards,

Ruben

• Like 1

I've read a few negative things about it - that it was designed for use on the M8 with its crop factor, and suffers slightly from softness and falloff in the corners when shot on a full-frame camera.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

Leica have never designed M lenses for a 'cropped' sensor, all M lenses are designed as 'full frame' lenses for use on any M camera.

Please don't add to the glut of misinformation on the net.

I've never read anywhere about the Elmarit 28 ASPH being designed for the M8. All modern Leica M lenses are designed for 35mm film as well as digital.

It is great lens, normal Leica quality, I use it on both my MP and M9. And it is small, which I love, focuses very smoothly. The 28 Summicron is actually quite a lot bigger so I often prefer the Elmarit.

Jeff

• Like 1

I agree that the 28 Elmarit ASPH was not "designed for the M8" or cropped sensors.

However, that, in and of itself, is no guarantee that its corner performance is as good as previous Elmarits or the Summicron.

It is softer in the corners compared especially to the Summicron @ f/2.8 - it seems to be a bit sharper overall than the previous Elmarit but with a different fingerprint - the previous version's mtf drops off (@ 2.8) slowly and continuously from the center; the ASPH mtf stays high further out, but then has a more precipitous drop in the extreme corners - the last 2-3 of mm of image diagonal. And that drop continues all the way down to f/5.6.

But other well-liked lenses (24 f/2.8 and 35 f/2 ASPH) follow a similar pattern to the 28 ASPH f/2.8 - so it is just a factor to be considered along with price and size.

• Like 1

Hi

The later Elmarits, the asph, the ZM and the CV (LTM) are all excellent performers, unless you carry a heavy tripod, use slow film (e.g. PanF), and customarily shoot brick walls,.etc.

The choice is down to ergonomics of the lens and your hand size.

The Summaron f/2.8 35mm is better than the /3.5.

Noel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Stephen,

The Elmarit-M 2.8/28 ASPH is PERFECT for your M6.

It's my favourite combo. Sometimes I use a separate 28 finder.[

Thanks Ruben, that's a big help. Also, lovely images. I especially liked the ones shot on Portra NC.
  • Like 1

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

Leica have never designed M lenses for a 'cropped' sensor, all M lenses are designed as 'full frame' lenses for use on any M camera.

Please don't add to the glut of misinformation on the net.

Thanks for the clarification. As for the 'glut of misinformation', I was merely asking the question, based on what I had read (eg Erwins Review of the new Emarit 28mm ASPH - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum). No need for the angry caps.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. As for the 'glut of misinformation', I was merely asking the question, based on what I had read (eg Erwins Review of the new Emarit 28mm ASPH - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum). No need for the angry caps.

Here is the link to Puts' review

ElmarM 2.8/28mm asph

and of Ken Rockwell

Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

Some more images:

Flickr: M-mount (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) content tagged with LeicaElmarit28mmf2.8ASPH

Kind regards,

Ruben

That's not a link to Erwin Puts review - I've read his review and he doesn't mention the lens being designed for digital. Not angry, just keen to keep stuff factual.

• Like 1

Hi

When you get the lens before offering to camera set the focus to mid position and hold it by the inner ring as you rotate the mount to engage.

Some are tight on some bodies and need real effort to click the latch into place. Do not use the front of the lens for this... Dont use the focus ring stop positions either, for mount or unmount

An excellet performer.

Noel