Help on Vintage Leica 1g Microscope Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know nothing about the Leica DBP microscope camera I bought at a university surplus auction other than it is a 1957 1g, (s/n 909616), that was predominantly aimed (obviously) at scientific work. Is anyone on the forum familiar with this configuration? From the markings, it's all Leica, or Leitz anyway. There's what appears to be an extension tube? marked "1/3X, Leitz, Wetzlar Germany" between the 1g body and microscope attachment which is marked "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Germany." I'm not sure how to cock and fire the shutter. Both cable releases operate. From the sound of one it may first cock, and then when pressed again, fire the shutter. The other closes off the viewscope for as long as you press it. I really hesitate to mess with this camera setup to see how it works, it may be worth something. Are there collectors who might be interested in this as configured? I assume the body is worth something. Any information would be appreciated.

I've attached them again, and they show in the "Attach Files" box?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've attached them again, and they show in the "Attach Files" box?

Your Ig is perfectly normal, and the MIKAS attachment is simply screwed to the camera. If you unscrew it, you can operate the camera as usual.

It's a fine kit which can arise the interest of some collectors, and looks also in good shape: you can find some infos about in our Wiki section (search for MIKAS in the "Leica code names & serial numbers).

To have an idea of the value... give a look on ebay... both MIKAS and Leica Ig do often appear for sale.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've a MIKAS and have used it a couple of times with my Barnacks. What you have are two shutters, one in the camera body and one in the MIKAS. You are right with regards to the double release, one moves the prism out of the way and the other fires the MIKAS shutter, therefore the camera should be on B and locked open. The other way is to lock the MIKAS shutter open and use the camera shutter for exposure. In the bottom of the MIKAS is the microscope eyepiece which fits to the microscope, the viewing eyepiece will be parfocal with the camera so the microscope is focused using this eyepiece. Unless you have a microscope exposure meter you need to adjust the speed by trtial and error or by bracketting. By the way on your Ig the rewind lever is set so needs to be unset to cock the shutter.

This is taken with MIKAS

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/Greyelm/volvox.jpg

• Like 1