help for dimage scan elite 5400 II

acpi1111

You have this link that shows you the tutorial to follow :

Scanner Review: Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II

In addition, as Pete said, VueScan or SilverFast software works with this scanner

+ Windows XP (not Vista) or OS 9

Henry

PS: a second link :

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Minolta%20Dimage/page-3.htm

comparison with Nikon and Epson = good results

Edited by Doc Henry

Thanks for the answers, i still aint got the scanner, the seller is a professional photographer and very well known person in Turkey, he does not want to give it to me without seeing it working or he wants to substitute the repair costs. So first i have to define the problem.

As he said that tried with XP and Vuescan, he opened the hulk and check if anything wrong in connections. All seems ok. I will ask him again tomorrow to check again with specially XP and vuescan in different order of operating computer and scanner.

Hi, there is a little reset hole at the side of the film holder door flap that you can poke with a straightened paper clip. Sometimes it thinks it has the film holder in when it's not, might be good to press this reset and start again. That might be the only issue?

I have the 5400 Elite first version working fine on MAC OSX Snow Leopard but it does show it running on old 32bit drivers even though the MAC is 64bit chip and OS. If you are on a PC you may need to be running in XP 32bit mode for the drivers to work. My father has my old Dimage dual Scan III which he says he can't get to work on his newish Windows Vista, driver problems again, but it worked OK on XP SP2 (he could not upgrade to XP SP3 because of some OS files missing. Windows what a nightmare, never looked back since I've moved to MAC and OSX. I guess these Vuescan tools are effectively newer drivers.

Windows 7 might be better but you might need the Pro version that allows XP mode, if I understand it correctly. With MAC OSX you only have 1 version 1 price none of this Home Edition, Ultimate, Professional, in 32-bit or 64-bit which one to buy trouble.

You can still get the drivers for Dimage scanners even though Minolta have stopped ( such a shame ). I'd be completely stuffed if mine broke.

Good luck Lincoln.

I have a minolta dimage2 that was doing the same thing on vista. It works fine now with Vuescan.

Pete

My Elite II also occasionally "freezes" and stops working, and I have often had to reboot the PC and start over again. I used to run Silverfast under Windows XP, but after I bought a new PC with Windows 7 (64 bit) I have started using Vuescan. The scanner now works fine with the built in drivers supplied with the Vuescan software.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does it give an "Unknown Error" comment when trying to calibrate? If so, (from the digital darkroom forum) this will fix it.

Go to Users/your user name/Library/Preferences/Minolta Dimage and delete the file named MFSLibInit (with a size of Zero KB). Then, start up the scan software again. This file servers as a "lock", to prevent multiple copies of the scanning software from running. Deleting it allows the scanning software to work.

The file is not deleted if the scanning software terminates abnormally.

Hope this helps, worked for me,

Mike.

First of All thanks everyone!,

Nothing worked so far, even i searched alot of forums, tried with XP SP2 and Mac, deleting files, trying with 3 different USB cable, modifying driver etc. So finally found that six blinks and space indicates an internal problem of the scanner.

Otherhand, i have found a reseller for 5400II, he is now working on a 5400II for me. I hopw that will have a 5400II sooner

• 8 years later...

I know this is a super old thread, but since I could not find anything for this type of problem when I was searching, I thought it could help others by posting

After way too much time spent on the scanner, I finally figured out what was wrong: a 7812 voltage regulator was dead, and the CCD had no power. Replacing the 7812 seems to solve all problem, luckily there doesn't seem to be lasting damage.

For what is worth, I'm pretty sure that 6 flashes / pulses / blinks of the LED on a Minolta DImage Scan Elite 5400 II mean that the firmware found a CCD imager issue during self test (that explains why it happens right after the LED is pulsed)

Adding here for posterity, just in case anyone else happens to search for the same problem in the future

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the original 5400 and the 5400 II working fine with VueScan in macOS X. Sadly both developed bad pixels in the CCD. Very quick scanners and a significant loss to film scanning when Konica-Minolts discontinued them.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:17 AM, Harold_Tichenor said:

Does anyone have a fix for the Elite 5400  II when it jams during focus setup? It seems to get to a certain limit and then keeps trying to mover further making a kind of stuttering sound.  I tried blowing out dust and even tried overriding the auto focus but can't seem to get it to just let me set focus manually.  

I see the same issue on my 5400II. I've not found a solution to the problem apart from manually setting the focus point, requiring several focus preview and selecting the best setting.