jaapv

The world from above - Game Thread

Now, Michael, you request me to revive the thread, and then stop it dead in its tracks again in the next post. If you give the correct answer you are obliged to post the next image. So if you do not have a next image, you cannot answer.

The challenge is now to name the two peaks and the inernational airport that serves the mountain. And you, Michael, are forbidden to answer.

Edited by jaapv

As a starting place, this looks volcanic, though inactive.

Edited by stuny

Well, at least it's not Terschelling (an island just north of Holland, highest "peak" 4.0 meters or some such)

And I'm not going to answer either, as I have HUNDREDS of photos from the air, but almost NONE with a Leica. Otherwise I would've jumped in, no worries.

With some luck, this is going to be Jaap's showcase for the next year

Good start, Stuart. It is an extinct volcano. It is not the highest volcano in the world, but it does have the highest prominence by far.

Well, at least it's not Terschelling (an island just north of Holland, highest "peak" 4.0 meters or some such)

And I'm not going to answer either, as I have HUNDREDS of photos from the air, but almost NONE with a Leica. Otherwise I would've jumped in, no worries.

With some luck, this is going to be Jaap's showcase for the next year

Unfortunately, I don't have many shots from the air either, but there must be plenty kicking around in forum members' computers.

I have at least a couple or three around somewhere, but I don't usually travel in window seats!

In answer to Jaap's posting - would it be Kilimanjaro? (sp?)

Yes - it is. The second highest volcano in the world. What intl. airport and the names of the two peaks? Och- I'll skip that one - over to you Brian! Dig up a shot!

Btw

Arusha intl. (JRO)

Uhuru Peak

Mawenzi Peak

Edited by jaapv

I'll dig something up later this evening - be patient!

Given that you fly to Africa regularly Jaap, I reckoned it was a good guess! But the rest of the info - Google would have had to provide!

I never realized it had two peaks ... nice.

Actually, it even has three, but as the third one, Shira Peak at about 3900 meters is about 2000 meters lower than the other two, it is rarely mentioned. It is a nice idea to climb that one and be able to say you have climbed Kilimanjaro when 5985 meters without oxygen is a bit too much to contemplate.