The X1: Now an AMAZING street photography machine!

ChiILX1

f8 is way too slow for streets even if one can use 1600 iso ...the reality unless you have ideal conditions great light and little contrast you will find that f2.8 is needed for the shutter speed if one wants to freeze moderately close action....... f4 may do at a pinch

1 year worth of experience with the X1 on the streets proves otherwise. I'm getting a lot of great shots at higher apertures without motion blur. Besides, the best city shots I take freeze people and blur the moving city all around them (like traffic). Usually that can be as slow as 1/30th.

@ magnolio- cool shots!

Here is a self portrait I took on my iPhone roaming the streets with my X1 on zone focus. :D

I really like this one and thought everyone would like to mimic the idea in their own ideal photographic element.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

a self portrait..find the photographer?

1 year worth of experience with the X1 on the streets proves otherwise. I'm getting a lot of great shots at higher apertures without motion blur. Besides, the best city shots I take freeze people and blur the moving city all around them (like traffic). Usually that can be as slow as 1/30th.

@ magnolio- cool shots!

Here is a self portrait I took on my iPhone roaming the streets with my X1 on zone focus. :D

I really like this one and thought everyone would like to mimic the idea in their own ideal photographic element.

1/30th ... your subjects (people) must be pretty static. Use it one someone walking and you get a lot of motion blur, not that it look bad, but it is definitely not the way most people shoot.

Stumbled on this thread. A lot of very categorical, but mostly incorrect, statements being made about the M system, which can be answered by reading this old, but informative article by Mike Johnston:

The Best Lens for a Leica

Although specifically about the 35 focal length, the discussion on pre-focussing and general use of Leica cameras should almost be included in the manual...

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 years later...

It was very entertaining to read. Even after nine years. :)

X1 is still, IMO, most elegant digital camera ever build. 

And here, in 2020, is still misunderstanding about zone focusing.  Once any manufacturer will make camera where two buttons could be assigned as one for two meters and another for five, then electronically controlled MF will be somewhat close with manual MF. Well, some of us have three zones with M. Close, middle and far. And it is changeable with quick stroke of focus tab. :)  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

It was very entertaining to read. Even after nine years. :)

X1 is still, IMO, most elegant digital camera ever build. 

Love this!  My X1 is now in Wetzlar to have the sensor cleaned, after 9 years of lens going out and in it is inevitable to collect some dust.

But I love this small camera and use it oft when I desire something smaller than the M.

Yes, it's elegant 🙂

• Thanks 1

It is interesting to stumble upon this revived post now as a few days ago I started to look for a good condition X1 to purchase. I sold mine many years ago, but as I was skimming through old digital photos, the ones I took with my X1 really stood out.

I have found a nice used X2, but I believe I would be happier with the X1.

Are people here still using theirs happily?

Edited by carlosecpf

I have both X1 and X2. The X2 gets used (mostly by my wife) and the X1 collects dust, nice camera as it is. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, Jaapv!

Do you mind sharing why you prefer the X2 over the X1? I had a XVario in the past and the 16MP sensor, looking in retrospect, did not impressed me as the 12MP one on the X1. 

I am assuming the X2 is way faster than the X1, especially in the AF department. Nonethless, my idea is to use stricly hyperfocal manual focus for street photography purposes.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Am 29.2.2020 um 19:34 schrieb jaapv:

I have both X1 and X2. The X2 gets used (mostly by my wife) and the X1 collects dust, nice camera as it is. 

WOW! Black and green. What a beautiful combination!  

Edited by LucisPictor

Copenhagen        X1

• Like 5

Something Different              X1

Edited by lykaman
  • Like 1