No more free filters for M8 ??

bpalme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I was trying to point out, but I guess I missed the mark, is that Leica is still supporting the M8 cameras, as long as you buy it from an authorized Leica dealer, even if it is used. As my post above mentions, Leica gave me a one year warranty on my used M8.2 (which they have already honored by fixing my hot pixel/red line issue for no charge) and two free UV/IR cut filters, even though they had already given free filters to the previous owner, and the previous owner's warranty from Leica had expired.

That's incredibly generous by my book.

But unfortunately, that support doesn't apply to buying an M8 from a private owner, or eBay, craigslist, etc. It has to be purchased from an authorized Leica dealer and you need to have the sales receipt.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... As my post above mentions, Leica gave me a one year warranty on my used M8.2 (which they have already honored by fixing my hot pixel/red line issue for no charge) and two free UV/IR cut filters ...

Tim, that is generous, no doubt. But we don't know the other side of it. For all we know, the previous owner still had a year to run on his warranty, and Leica passed it on to you.

IOW, I don't think we can judge from a single instance whether the same is true for other cameras.

Definitely, your sending proof of purchase established the change of ownership on their books, and that can be a big help in future if the camera is ever lost.

But I imagine that whether they can supply filters is handled on a case-by-case, camera-by-camera basis.

Thanks for the info. Another piece to add to the puzzle. :)

And I think anyone who has experience with Leica will come to the same conclusion as you, that they're good people to deal with.

Edited by ho_co

• 1 month later...

registered my M8 on the owners area on the Leica website about 2 weeks ago (when i found out it existed in the first place...)

option to order 2 filters was still available to me - and after a very nice email from a lady in solms requesting a copy of the warranty card all went fine...

2 weeks after registering i had the 2 filters delivered @ home..

thanks Leica

registered my M8 on the owners area on the Leica website about 2 weeks ago (when i found out it existed in the first place...)

option to order 2 filters was still available to me - and after a very nice email from a lady in solms requesting a copy of the warranty card all went fine...

2 weeks after registering i had the 2 filters delivered @ home..

thanks Leica

You are just lucky. If a M8 registered with previous owner, you can't register again on the owners area. But still manually can be done by Leica software support team. Obviously, the free filter only available for un-registered body.

...Obviously, the free filter only available for un-registered body.

Not exactly. Some bodies have been registered by a previous owner already but the latter did not claim for the filters so the last owner can still do. He just has to ask for a new registration and send a copy of his warranty card to Leica.

Thanks so much to those who posted in this thread and I'm glad to have read the information. A week ago I bought an M8 off somebody, who in turn must have bought it second hand. The warranty card shows it was first purchased new back in 2008!

Interestingly I followed the steps described in this thread and was allowed to choose two free filters under the 'Benefits' subsection of the owner's area. Currently I only have one lens (35mm) that uses the E39 filter so that solves half of the question.

So now I'm faced with an interesting 'problem' of choosing a filter size for a lens that I have yet to buy! Does anybody have any suggestions?

Depends upon what focus length you miss the most.

If your next lens will be a 28mm for instance, you can choose filters #:

- 13410 or 13416 (E39 for current Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph);

- 13411 or 13418 (E46 for current Summicron-M 28/2 asph or previous Elmarit 28/2.8 # 11809);

- 13412 (E49 for earlier Elmarit 28/2.8 # 11804).

For a 50mm lens:

- same E39 for current Summicron-M 50/2, current Summarit-M 50/2.5 or previous Elmar-M 50/2.8;

- same E46 for current Summilux-M 50/1.4 asph or previous Summilux-M 50/1.4 pre-asph # 11856, 11868, 11869 or 11621.

If you have no idea at all, i won't advise you to order the most expensive filter (# 13422, E77 for current Super-Elmar 18/3.8 asph) needless to say.

If you have no idea at all, i won't advise you to order the most expensive filter (# 13422, E77 for current Super-Elmar 18/3.8 asph) needless to say.

Thanks for the suggestions. So just to clarify, would you advise getting an E77 or NOT advise getting it (assuming I wanted the most expensive filter)? It does sound like a good proposition.

My SLR days are far from over and a good number of the 'more desirable' SLR lenses will take 77mm filters. Having said that, the main reason for the switch to the M8 was because my Canon 1Ds MKI broke down and has been labelled irrepairable by Canon due to a lack of parts. :(

How's the Summarit 75mm? If I wanted to add another lens to the M8 setup, it'd probably be a less expensive short tele lens. Anyway, it appears I have some thinking to do...I shall keep reading and learning.

Hello from new Leica owner. Just got my secondhand M8.

Appears that I'm the third owner of the camera but still tried my luck with Leica registration. To my surprise, registration completed successfully without complaints. So I'm assuming it was not registered before, but there is nothing under benefits section. Am I missing something here?

Looks like the filters have been claimed for i'm afraid.

You might wish to ask Leica to be sure.

Leica Camera AG

CS-Software Support

Solmser Gewerbepark 8

D-35606 Solms

Germany

Birgitta.Mielke<at>leica-camera.com

Telephone +49(0)6442-208-108

Fax +49(0)6442-208-490)

The 75mm Summarit is a fantastic lens.

Carl

Thanks for the feedback. It's something to save towards. But first I'd need to see if my camera will get enough use to justify the purchase.

It's a funny thing...in my earliest days in this hobby, I'd buy equipment without much thought and ended up buying a selling a variety of gear. These days however, I feel the need to justify the purchase.