bpalme

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this from Leica :

Dear Mark,

thank you very much for sending your documents. Everything is allright.

The delivery of the filters will be this week. I can send out the tracking number on Thursday 14th.

Kind regards

Birgitta Mielke

Leica Camera AG

So I guess the previous owner didn't bother claiming his or her filters.

Oh well, their loss, my gain:D

So pcp, colonel, Want-a-leica and andtuanvo1982 are quite lucky if i understand well as their seller forgot to claim for a €200+ gift to Leica.

Proof that believing in miracles can help sometimes. ;)

Sounds like new registrations of second hand bodies and their associated benefit have been accepted very liberally by Leica and that the fairy tale is over now according to the OP's post at least.

Just a guess though.

Sorry it is NOT a GIFT.

It is to rectify a flaw in the camera that should not of been there in the first place.

Was not a gift for first hand buyers who did not expect such an IR sensitivity of course. But second hand buyers know the latter quite well and buy IR-cut filters separately usually. I did not expect such a gift as a s/h buyer personally.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was not a gift for first hand buyers who did not expect such an IR sensitivity of course. But second hand buyers know the latter quite well and buy IR-cut filters separately usually. I did not expect such a gift as a s/h buyer personally.

As long as the camera was not registered I still don'rt consider them a gift.

When I sold one of my M8s I sent the buyer 2 39mm filters with the camera. I got them free and actually didn't need them.

Why anyone buying a new M8 didn't register it is beyond me. That means NO warranty also.

Warranty was/is only good from date of purchase. Not when you feel like registering it.

...Why anyone buying a new M8 didn't register it is beyond me...

Most sellers sell the filters separately or add them to the price of the body as clear as i can see on e**y. Mine sold the body alone after registration w/o having asked Leica for the filters. Was a B&W shooter or a magenta lover i guess. Thanks to him or Leica for the gift anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my experience with buying a used Leica M8.2 a few weeks ago.

I bought my used 8.2 from B&H Photo (who happen to be a Leica Dealer). The original owner had registered the camera back in 2009. I called Leica here in the States and told them I wanted to register the camera's serial number to myself, but the Leica web site wouldn't let me do this because the camera was already registered to the previous owner.

Leica had me fax them a copy of the sales receipt from B&H. After I did this, Leica not only registered the camera in my name, but they also gave me a Leica one year warranty on the camera, and they sent me two IR cut filters for my two Leica lenses (for free).

After a week of using the camera, I discovered the dreaded hot pixels and red line issue, so I called Leica and they said they would fix it under warranty.

I think they are really going out of their way to support folks who buy their equipment. As long as you buy it from a Leica Dealer.

Very happy new Leica M8.2 owner.

I sold x100 and bought M8 recently... Coming from M6, this was the logical choice. So far I love it. I cant pick up x100 as it felt cheap in my hands. M8 feels much better.

I am looking for the 35mm 1.4 apsh ver2... nobody seems to have this in stock... anyone know where to get one?

Here's my experience with buying a used Leica M8.2 a few weeks ago.

I bought my used 8.2 from B&H Photo (who happen to be a Leica Dealer). The original owner had registered the camera back in 2009. I called Leica here in the States and told them I wanted to register the camera's serial number to myself, but the Leica web site wouldn't let me do this because the camera was already registered to the previous owner.

Leica had me fax them a copy of the sales receipt from B&H. After I did this, Leica not only registered the camera in my name, but they also gave me a Leica one year warranty on the camera, and they sent me two IR cut filters for my two Leica lenses (for free).

After a week of using the camera, I discovered the dreaded hot pixels and red line issue, so I called Leica and they said they would fix it under warranty.

I think they are really going out of their way to support folks who buy their equipment. As long as you buy it from a Leica Dealer.

Very happy new Leica M8.2 owner.

Most sellers sell the filters separately or add them to the price of the body as clear as i can see on e**y.
Well, they shouldn't. Two filters are an integral part of the camera package. One might as well sell the battery and charger separately.

Well, they shouldn't. Two filters are an integral part of the camera package. One might as well sell the battery and charger separately.

What sellers do actually. Why not BTW? If you have a title on something you may do what you want with it don't you. Unless otherwise provided in some laws i'm not aware of, contractual rules set out by a manufacturer don't bind customers in their relationship with third parties.

You are allowed to sell a camera in separate parts if you wish to - shutter, bodyshells, viewfinder, etc. It is just that as an M8 buyer I personally would not accept one without the filters that go with it, unless they are unclaimed.

Hi all, first post here!

I bought a M8.2 on eBay recently and I emailed Leica to enquire about the free filters.

they said they previous owner has already claimed his/her's filters x2. and I wont get one....

my warranty expires in about 4 months time.

any suggestions re persuing my free filters?

You are allowed to sell a camera in separate parts if you wish to - shutter, bodyshells, viewfinder, etc. It is just that as an M8 buyer I personally would not accept one without the filters that go with it, unless they are unclaimed.

You do what you want for sure but i have never seen an M8 or M8.2 body sold off eBay with any attached filter so far. People selling filters as well add them to the price of the body or sell them separately. AFAIK of course.

...previous owner has already claimed his/her's filters x2. ... any suggestions re persuing my free filters?

Leica does not owe free filters any more i'm afraid. You might wish to try and explain Leica rules to your seller and persuade him to send you his filters for free but i would not hold my breath personally.

+1

I think that Leica discharged any possible obligations long ago to the first purchasers of the M8. Also bear in mind that:

a) Filters fit lenses not cameras

B) Lenses and therefore filters come in different sizes

I can see the sense in selling a lens with a filter, although personally it would put me off bidding - why should I buy something I neither need nor want? I can see more sense in selling filters, cameras and lenses separately - everybody's needs are different after all.

Regards,

Bill

You do what you want for sure but i have never seen an M8 or M8.2 body sold off eBay with any attached filter so far. People selling filters as well add them to the price of the body or sell them separately. AFAIK of course.
You shouldn't buy off e-bay then, but use the buy-and-sell here. Not only have most M8s I saw here been with the filters, I just sent off one I sold with two filters of the buyer's choice. And a few other goodies. I believe in making a forum transaction a pleasurable one.

Just to make it clear: Leica supplied (supplies for the unclaimed ones) the filters with the camera. Not with lenses.