Collapsible 90 Elmar- elements?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi-

I just got a collapsible 90mm elmar in great shape for $200 on ebay- stunningly perfect glass. But looking in the back it strikes me as odd that there is no element until far up the barrel. Is this right or is there supposed to be one close to the camera? Also, how worried should I be about light oil on the aperture blades, and how could I clean that off. Thanks!

The glass position is normal : Elmar 90 f4 is a long focus 4 elements design - not a tele with back divergent element - and the 3 groups / 4 elements are very next one to another - in the non collapsible version the lenshead (with glass groups) is removable for use on Visoflex and Bellows - a very short (and gracious) item.

Some baffle of oil in the diaphragm's blades is normal - if glass is clean I'd say to keep it like is, unless you have some other reason to have a full CLA or calibration of your lens.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

It's because photographers usually can't spell the names of their gear – even if it's sitting on the table in front of them. I observed this decades ago ... this is probably the reason why they went into photography ;)

Or, just maybe, it's because typos happen when you're rushing out the door and posting a thread on your iPhone? I'm actually in photography partially because I'm a graduate student at the University of Chicago, in sociolinguistics and anthropology, and take photographs during my fieldwork for the articles and books I'm writing. Not because I can't spell. And to the contrary, it's not possible to do what I do without being able to spell.

Noticing that I spelled it correctly in my actual question should have cued you.

I'll stop there and not get into psychological speculations on why someone would feel the need to post something like that in the first place.

Apologies to all for my typos. Thank you to the first respondent for answering my question thoroughly.

So to be clear, even though I saw a lot of seemingly unused threadings toward the camera side of the lens, and it seems impossible that an image could expand from that last element at the front all the way back to fill the film (it's a long-throw), this is by design? Thanks

Edited by ChiILX1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So to be clear, even though I saw a lot of seemingly unused threadings toward the camera side of the lens, and it seems impossible that an image could expand from that last element at the front all the way back to fill the film (it's a long-throw), this is by design? Thanks

Exactly : it's intrinsic of the design of a long focus (I repeat - not "tele") lens : give a look at a Telyt 560 f 6,8... ;) the front lens looks large but... boy, that black tube behind it is really LONG and LITTLE at its end towards the camera !

• Like 1

It's because photographers usually can't spell the names of their gear – even if it's sitting on the table in front of them. I observed this decades ago ... this is probably the reason why they went into photography ;)

The old man from the Gutenberg Age

Oh, I think this this forum is great; I can't take photographs worth a damn but love the things that do it (the cameras, I mean). Sorry, I'm not adding to this debate, but I'm feeling entertained. Hopfully, my speling is corect. Daffyd :D:D