I love Ur-Leica

lincoln_m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My gut feeling is that it doesn’t become a “‘real’ Leica“. Partly because the conversion, however skilfully carried out, is being done by a third party and partly because of the original intent of the dummy UR. Not that either matters.

When the original UR was made it was an attempt to do things that previously couldn't be done wasn't it?

A reproduction, whether working or not, and no matter how accurate, can only ever be a fake, ("replica" may be more polite) and has no way of becoming a "real" Leica in the sense I think Ambro51 means, because that time has passed and can't be retrieved. 

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

To ressurect an ancient thread....when the UR Leica “Dummy”,built by Leitz is skillfully modified and reworked using Leica internals (and carefully handmade parts by an expert, and uses a Leitz 42 mikro-Summar lens.....and can take excellent photographs....Does it “then” become a “real” Leica in every sense of the word. If we were to ask Oskar Himself.....What would HE say?

An interesting point is how Leica themselves branded it. They used the word Nachbildung, which translates to Replica, rather than attrappe, which translates to Dummy.

Edited by Ambro51

To ressurect an ancient thread....when the UR Leica “Dummy”,built by Leitz is skillfully modified and reworked using Leica internals (and carefully handmade parts by an expert, and uses a Leitz 42 mikro-Summar lens.....and can take excellent photographs....Does it “then” become a “real” Leica in every sense of the word. If we were to ask Oskar Himself.....What would HE say?

It would be a replica because it could not be the same as original. Originality cannot be reproduced any more than time can be set back. So many parts change such as steel composition, and of course glass, plus the tools used to hand-fit every part. Replica for sure, for better or worse.

Edited by pico

Of course this can be nit-picked from many angles. What we cannot argue is that Leica built a duplicate of the UR in all ways except internally. So it IS a Leica, but cannot take pictures. When we are able to alter the camera internally using mostly Leica parts, and a lens like the one Oskar used, we complete the process begun by Leica. Though still a Replica, it now functions like the real camera it originally was. George Furst in his thread on the working UR Leica has made 1,000 images with his, proving it can and is being done. Mine will follow that path shortly, and I guess my point is simply, when the process is completed, can I place this all in the compartment inside my head that will allow me to think of this on the same level as all my LTMs, from the Null Replica, 1A, II, III, IIIa, E, In other words, simply if it looks like a camera, and works like a camera...is it a camera?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Malcom Taylor with the Barnack Cine Camera, and a UR Leica Replica. To those who have not handled the UR Leica Replica, it is simply delightful. Extremely solid feeling, very Leica-like, but maybe only 9/10 the size of a 1A or Standard. Most different obviously is the extremely smooth body, without any Vulcanite. I made an optical finder for mine, and brought to the cheek, the shutter button is right where it should be. A delightful piece to handle. As a working camera it should be very pleasant to use.

Edited by Ambro51

Of course this can be nit-picked from many angles. What we cannot argue is that Leica built a duplicate of the UR in all ways except internally. So it IS a Leica, but cannot take pictures.

Enough said. The re-creation makes it a replica, but you can still enjoy using it.

Edited by pico

This is an image taken by George Furst with his working UR Leica Replica converted by Mr.Kim. The lens is a Leitz 42mm Mikro-Summar. I think we can all agree that this image would hold muster with Any image struck be Any Leica, New or Old!