Non-Leica M9 Battery Test

Washington

Oh, jappv,

Another interesting think about Chinese industry is that unlike what we did during

the*'’industrial revolution’’ they came up with the idea to build new factories out in the

rural areas near the work force rather than have all the people from the farms move to the city. Pretty smart…. think of all the crowding that solves.

Good news (maybe)

With that 3.7 volt flashlight bulb -pictured above- I slowly discharged the battery keeping a careful eye on the voltage. I did not want to go under 2.5 volts which would shut the battery

down. I dropped it to about 2.8 volts ….. this is lower than it can go in the camera as

the camera shuts down at a higher voltage than this. In fact I put it in the camera and

as I suspected, the camera didn’t even turn on.

I recharged it normally in the Leica charger and now it shows 100% in the camera again!

Now, what this means, I duuno, but that’s what I did.

Sorry, no news yet as I am still waiting for the ‘’off-brand’’ battery which now shows

proper in camera charge to run down. The weather has been lousy and I’m not going

out and take a bunch of junk photos just to get the camera to the point of shut down

so I can measure the battery to discover at what voltage the battery shuts down the

M-9. Maybe today will be nice!

Oh, jappv,

Another interesting think about Chinese industry is that unlike what we did during

the*'’industrial revolution’’ they came up with the idea to build new factories out in the

rural areas near the work force rather than have all the people from the farms move to the city. Pretty smart…. think of all the crowding that solves.

Then the factory sites concentrate for infrastructure like roads and power grids and become the new 'cities'. Think Detroit, Chicago, Denver etc.

Cheers .... H

Sorry, no news yet as I am still waiting for the ‘’off-brand’’ battery which now shows

proper in camera charge to run down.

Do some full-formats on a 16Gb card. That will pull the battery down pretty quickly.

Finally! Complete camera shut-down at a battery voltage of 3.2 volts.

On the camera charge scale this showed about 10%.

I started getting ‘’ low battery'’ warnings at about 20% on the camera scale.

I just ignored them as I wanted to see where the bottom limit was for camera

operation. This is not enough voltage drop to hurt a Li-ion battery at all. What does hurt

these batteries is total discharge… like hooking it up to a bulb or something and doing

a ''deep discharge'' which could repair a ni-cad with ‘’memory’’ problems: but NOT these.

I have seen that taking this battery down to 2.8 volts somehow, on recharge, allows

full function with the in camera scale. This recharge from the 3.2 volt camera bottom limit

may do the same thing…. I hope! cheers.

• Like 2

That’s just what I am finding out now. The battery can not be discharged below about

2.5 volts or the internal chip cuts off the charging circuit and the battery can not

be recharged in a normal charger…. but can be reclaimed to normal using a charger

with a low voltage ’’boost'’ feature. I restored the batteries ability to register proper charge

in the camera scale by carefully reducing it’s voltage to 2.8 volts and using the Leica

charger …. whether it will also do this from the 3.2 volt camera shut down voltage

remains to be seen.

• Like 1

So all you need to do now is invent a little thing (I'm thinking a few wires and a widget and a gizmo) that will automatically run batteries down to just below 3.2v (or whatever) and then sell it to us at a price that means third party batteries are now a no brainer!

Steve

But this is the M9 forum isn't it???? Yes, Leica spotted a way to screw things up with the M9, but even the M8 would benefit from being able to discharge a battery without rendering the camera unusable while doing so.

Steve

Well, let’s hang on a bit because this has been successful once on one particular

battery…. so, I still want to check out a couple more third party batteries and see

if this works with them. I could have just been lucky as well. Not enough data yet

to form a positive conclusion. Come to think of it Sherlock Holmes had adage similar

to this.