Non-Leica M9 Battery Test

Washington

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I received my M9 battery ordered through: Digital Camera Batteries - Buy a new Digital Camera Battery

Wow! It came from Ding Dong Feng in Beijing! Now, I ask you, how can you NOT

have faith in anyone named: Ding Dong!!?? I love it.

It charged up just like a Leica battery…. and didn’t even explode.

That’s a plus!

It’s powering the camera now…. and still no explosion.

How many pictures will it take (before exploding)?

How long will it last?

Stay tuned…. only time will tell.

On the other hand, if you never hear from me again: something really awful

happened.

Thaaaaatttts all, folks.

• Like 6

Can't wait to see, one area in accessories where I've been burned badly is where I definitely over payed; bought a Sandisk 16GB Extreme ultra edition for like $90 and the damn thing is plagued with corruptions and slowdown on the M9. Where as my cheapo Transend $30 class 10 16GB not only never corrupts, is faster, but actually has a slightly higher capacity. The batteries thing worries me and I have a no name cheapo on the side, but I've been avoiding using it unless necessary. Will be watching this thread closely.

Well, hang in there…. time will tell. But, one thing folk’s have to understand

not ALL batteries come from the same manufacturer. So, here is the strange

thing…. on the battery box there is NO brand name or manufacturer mentioned!

(I forgot to check the battery itself: but I will) So, as I said, we will see.

I too have a San Disc (nothing special) card in my own M-9 and it works great.

Have fun, kiddo!!! Cheers!

So, here is the strange

thing…. on the battery box there is NO brand name or manufacturer mentioned!

That space is left blank to write 'Leica' in when they make a batch with the extra circuitry inside.

When you start to get contradictory readings after recharging with what your cameras battery meter shows the answers are already in FAQ :)

Steve

Green smoke coming from your camera is OK. It is just the circuits burning in and settling down - however if the smoke turns magenta leave the building immediately and take cover wearing a Hazmat suit. :D

I have also had second party batteries go south for my Canons. I have a couple of

Leica brand batteries and I’m just curious about this thing. I’m not claiming it to

be anything… and it could very well fail. But, it would be interesting if it continued to work

well. If not I’m not going to be the least bit upset. I’d then take it apart to see what’s in

the case. It’s all just for fun.

Hi and keep us informed please!

I'm quite worried that something gets wrong when using noname batteries...

There are stories about spoilt cameras and such, though not from the Leica-range.

Pressing fingers from Hamburg!

Indina

Steve, good idea…. when one fails I will. Actually, all batteries deteriorate slowly,

so, one day, no matter what it is, it will no longer work well. I realize the quality of

the battery has plenty to do with it… but, it’s just a question of time with the best

of them. I was reading about battery research in China and they are working on some

pretty advanced ideas….. which, of course, has nothing to do with the guessing game

of which*‘’consumer'’ batteries are well made. Cheers.

I got 4 no name batteries for a fraction of the cost of one leica one. They all work fine. Occasionally they show incorrect charge levels- they show empty straight after charging-but that is OK- just keep shooting. They last around the same amount of time as the OEM version- and I have been using them for over a year with no failures.