M8 Serial Number

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up a used but immaculate black M8 from a friend who doesn't keep his older cameras (he switched to an M9 immediately after it was released). As a collector, I wanted to add it to my M body collection. No "coffee stains" on the LCD, no lines or green blobs in the images, RF alignment is spot on, seems to operate perfectly, and I like having the 1/8000 shutter speed available.

The serial number is 31022xx. I'm curious as to when it was made.

From what I can gather through forum searches, this body is a very early one, possibly from the first batch produced. My friend said that it was one of the first ones sold in this area, and that he sent it back to Solms for service not long after he bought it (possibly as part of a recall). I suspect that it has a new sensor.

Any ideas as to when it was made, and is it from the first batch? Thanks in advance...

Regards, Jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No. The highest 2006 number is 3101500. This is a camera from the first 2007 batch. Send it to Leica for a CLA This series suffered from sudden death, and if it has not been done already will get an electronics upgrade from Leica.

If serial # corresponds to year of manufacture, mine is older, as it's got a lower SN. Is there any way to submit that info to the page you linked to?
Cameras sold in November 2006 have the numbers 3100001- 3101500. They were not sold in any particular order. Mine from Nov. 9th ( the official introduction was Nov. 17th) has 3101100. No cameras were put on the market in December 2006. (According to Leica back then) Edited by jaapv

Hi,

I've been a lurker here for many moons. I have a Chrome M8 with a serial number 320001# ....it was the number that sealed the deal for me ....apart form the looks of course.

Interestingly however I am sad to say that I am now a member of both the "Coffee Ring" club and the "Verticle Line" club.

However the camera works ok on sunny days...so far. I suppose now that the warranty is over it will become a nice paperweight in time.... but still a design classic.

Back to humping the D300 around then.

Hi Jaapv,

Well I'm hoping that the verticle line doesn't get worse (it's only obvious at ISO 640and on dark images at that).

As for the Coffee Ring..well it's only obvious with a complete black screen, also from what I have read here it doesn't affect the recorded image...I can live with that!.

I have looked at your website and the Landscapes really show what an M8 can.... do thats for sure.

No. The highest 2006 number is 3101500. This is a camera from the first 2007 batch. Send it to Leica for a CLA This series suffered from sudden death, and if it has not been done already will get an electronics upgrade from Leica.

Thanks Jaapv.

The former owner sent it back to Solms soon after he bought it. He was not certain what service was performed, but he though that it might have received a new sensor. Can I assume that it has already had the upgrade you mention, or should I ask Leica? (assuming that they keep service records...).

Regards, Jim

The statement below is incorrect since according to the link above, cameras with S/N much higher than 3101500 (e.g.,S/N 3104772) were manufactured in 2006.

No. The highest 2006 number is 3101500.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...The serial number is 31022xx. I'm curious as to when it was made...

Misread your first post sorry i thought that you knew the year already.

According to the French site Summilux.net referred to above, your body has been manufactured in 2006.

Beware that dates recorded by this site are purchase dates though.

Summilux.net - Serial numbers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 7 years later...