Japan - A book for Fundraising

Alberti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the Blurb For Good web shop, I have presented a book on Japan: Kyoto, Eternal city of cherry blossoms, geishas and temples. You can search there for 'Kyoto'.

This is a book for fundraising. All profits go to the Japanese Red Cross.

The cover photo is from the Ryoanji Dry Garden, a special meditative temple.

M8, Summicron 35

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Enjoy, and do have a look at the book.

And be prepared - it is addictive. Something you will want, and can afford.

albert

Well, Paul,

I need more attention.

Like they say in marketing: there is overt behaviour (buying) and covert behaviour (appreciation). 'Store traffic' to the Blurb for Good shop has to be converted to . . .

To get the right spirit, I will post some pictures. Buying comes after enough appreciation!

This one is from Ryoanji Temple compound, the form of the stone is as I understand sacred (I do recognize a laying cow).

It symbolizes the need to donate for a good cause.

I am making several smaller books, as the price might be to steep for many (Blurb isn't that cheap).

albert

What is your opinion about this house in kyoto?

I have in the mean time made a new book that is a companion book.

It is called: Kyoto, city of rituals.

It is also for fundraising for the earthquake/tsunami disaster.

enjoy

albert

• Like 1

Thanks Robert.

I am now working on a third book, a book on Noren, the curtains in front of shops, bars and restaurants that are so typical of downtown Kyoto.

albert

I have just uploaded a new book for fundraising, called Kyoto, City of many signs

This book shows several of the signs that shops and restaurants have to invite their customers. In the old town of Kyoto you will not find many neon lights. Instead, shops and restaurants make themselves known through curtains in front of the shops. These 'noren' are silkscreened or sometimes hand-painted curtains hanging in front of the entrance.

I am making several books so it will fit with several peoples tastes and budget. Also here, the proceeds go to the Red Cross for Japan.

Blurb shows me there are about a hundred 'hits' from people looking at them. What would a conversion rate of 10% buying be good!

Let yourself be inspired,

albert

In Kyoto we see many temples and shrines where you can utter a wish or write one on a votive slab or piece of paper, and then post your wish for further attention.

As such, I would call that a 'wishing culture', to overcome using terms of reference from our christian-oriented culture. Without deep knowledge words fail me. What I do have are testimonies of ample attention for the otherness, from old and evern more, from the young.

For some it is a recurring ritual to buy a fortune slip (omikuji) and reverently read the outcome, to elevate your own spirit of thought.`or one can buy a votive placket of wood, and write a wish. Mostly seen is the writing of paper slips.

May I add a silent wish for Japan.

albert

I would like this to be an open posting thread, with pictures you have made in Japan.

:)

So please go ahead and add your images.

Here is another one of mine, this is from Kyoto Kamigamo shrine, from a Shinto wedding service. M8, Elmar 90 mm-macro.

Hope to see your contributions!

albert

• 3 weeks later...

If you're inviting pictures from Japan, then I will humbly submit some...now that I've finally learned to post pictures in threads:D

What I haven't learned to do yet is to space them out!

First one is the city of Sapporo, viewed from the breakfast room of a hotel

Second is from a rather subdued festival this year (due to the quake)

Third is of a crazy bunch of people playing the drums in minus-fifteen degree weather.

Hi Want-a-Leica (has a leica!),

nice pictures. I like the votive moment in the festival picture very much.The color and shadow work well together. I also browsed your Flickr photo's, some of those in the park are very interesting, the world upside down. They convey a real nice group spirit.

albert

Hi Want-a-Leica (has a leica!),

nice pictures. I like the votive moment in the festival picture very much.The color and shadow work well together. I also browsed your Flickr photo's, some of those in the park are very interesting, the world upside down. They convey a real nice group spirit.

albert

Thank you!

By "in the park", do you mean the kids jumping around like maniacs? Those guys are great. Natural showoffs:D Quite a challenge to catch just the right moment when you're using the M8, but that makes it far more fun and encourages me to really try and anticipate when the peak of the action's going to occur.

• 2 weeks later...

A few shots from a dance festival which was held over Golden Week

And there are also some new parkour shots up on flickr if you liked the last ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Want a Leica,

It is interesting how I can see the first (lady from back) and third, (lady laughing with mirror) as spontaneous.

The second and third show the professional care of the face with a kind of maybe pride or inner wisdom that I have seen so often in these dances. They are staged with utmost care.

The spring shines through in all four pictures with the fresh leaves.

albert