Swanny Swanny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I'm new to all this so please be gentle ...I've just purchased a less than 1year old (leica dealer refurb so promised mint!) M9 ..... and while i await delivery

i'd be pleased to hear your thoughts on getting perhaps the Zagg M8 screen protector as i understand the M9 has the same 'plastic' screen as the M8 (from Ken Rockwell's review site) and so could do with some protection ( i have in mind the Zagg as i have an IPAD screen cover from them that is great)

Additionally if you know of any better? / other review sites I'd be grateful too as now I'm looking for some lenses to go with it

Once again all and any thoughts / comments appreciated

Swanny Swanny

There are quite a few opinons on this one - welcome btw :) and congratulations on your new camera- The most luxury one is a glass one by Giotto, I prefer usung the AcMaxx one and replacing it evry half year, others like to use Zagg or other foil type protectors. So whatever catches your fancy. And - don't attempt to keep the camera mint. Use it!! ;)

Sir,

For a screen protector, I would hands - down recommend the Giotto. It fits perfectly to your screen. It is perfectly clear and does serve to protect your M9 screen.

And, after a period of time you won't even know it is there.

Yes, it can break. Mine broke on the last day of Photokina last year. I was taking the train to Paris from Cologne. And, discovered when opening my camera bag that the protector had been cracked.

I know that had I not had the Giotto protector protecting my screen, unquestionably my screen would have been damaged.

Possibly cracked or broken.

The Giotto took the hit instead. Which is exactly why it was purchased.

Thus, the Giotto is a small price to pay for that superior level of insurance. And, whilst I have friends whose Giotto's protect their M9 screens...they've not had a break, nor a scratch or any damage whatsoever done to their screens or their Giotto protector.

Of course, should the Giotto become broken or damaged. As mine did. Simply purchase another.

It is far cheaper and less inconvenient than a damaged screen on your M9. Don't you think?

Again, my respectful recommendation is that YOU purchase the Giotto. I guarantee you it will be a good decision on your part.

With respects,

Norwin

• Like 1

I don't like the Zagg protectors because of the texture of the plastic, further worsening the LCD resolution of the M9. I don't like the Giotto because it can itself break. One thing solves both problems at a tiny fraction of the cost of either, a cut down iPhone screen protector. Out of an average six sheet set from Ebay you can make twelve screen protectors for probably less than $12.

Steve

+1 for cutting up a piece of iPhone screen protector, the belkin is a good candidate.

-1 for the Giotto, I have now officially cracked 3 of them. mind you, I started using these about 6 weeks ago, the camera is missing all kinds of paint and have been around since Oct when it was released, the Giotto cracks at very little physical force and when people say it "saved" the screen, they are right, it "may" have saved the screen from a nick. but my M9 screen have had physical relations with stones, tripods etc and never cracked, the Giotto screen crack by anything. good news is its easy to remove with dental-floss.

Anway, im now out of the Giotto i ordered from Amazon, and back to cutting a iphone screen protector to take some of the nicks and will replace it when it get torn off or up. :D

It is my personal opinion that we are _WAY_ underestimating the actual physical strenght of the M9 screen, and that the ones we have seen destroyed most likely would have been destroyed as well with a Giotto in front, only serious protection would be a laminated polycabonate screen.... but that would obstruct visibility. This is why I'm sticking to the build in screen, mine have survived so much physical trauma that I have no concerns using it as is.

I use the Giottos but I really dislike the way it has 3 pieces of writing on it. Really looks ugly. Maybe one piece of writing would have been acceptable but there is no reason for me to have the model number of a $20 piece of plastic showing on the back of my $7,000 camera. One of the (many) reasons I bought the M9 was that I liked the way it looked. The Giottos alters that look in a negative way and although I use the product because it works, it is a product that I don't like.

Let me also add that the Giotto screen protector does not simply protect your screen from being broken, it also will protect your screen from being scratched.

A scratch on a non-saphire M9 screen is not uncommon. It happens.

I think most of us would have paid to have had the better screen on our M9's, as well.

Of course, there will be those who shall respond to this post that we had paid enough for our M9's. Thus, we should have had the improved screen protection on the initial launch of the M9's thereby saving many of the problems which a screen can be subject to...as above described in this thread.

Therefore, the content of this post should not be whether we get a Giotto screen protector or some other protection, it should have been - why didn't we get a better screen protector from Leica?

They knew how to provide for a better screen protector when improving the original M8.

Thus, why didn't they carry this improvement forward to the M9?

Don't answer...it' was because of the added cost?

Please. We already know that excuse.

However, paying as much as we did for our M9's we should have obtained the Leica improvment on the M9. In the past, Leica always included those improvements which they previously had included on a prior camera model into the next range of their cameras...

Don't you agree?

Therfore, why didn't they give us the improved screen on the M9?

With my respects,

Norwin

• Like 1