Leica R8 Question?

croutt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just picked up a used Leica R8. Something seems odd. Put fresh batteries in the camera. When I power on the camera it is non-responsive. It will only turn on when I push down on the DOF lever by the lens. It also shuts down after 60 seconds of inactivity, and will only turn on again by pushing the DOF lever again. Is this normal for the R8?

Just picked up a used Leica R8. Something seems odd. Put fresh batteries in the camera. When I power on the camera it is non-responsive. It will only turn on when I push down on the DOF lever by the lens. It also shuts down after 60 seconds of inactivity, and will only turn on again by pushing the DOF lever again. Is this normal for the R8?

Hello and welcome to the Forum. What mode have you turned it on to? If you have just turned it on to "F" (Flash) mode, and there is no film loaded, you might not get anything much. ["F" mode requires a test metering to be done by depressing the DOF lever.] Try switching on to P, A, T or M mode, and depress the shutter half-way to wake it up.

Just a suggestion - maybe it's not this at all - in which case there may well be a fault.

• Like 1

Check what you said John :)

If it does not work, check the electrical contacts at the battery compartment

I also do like John said, I turn the barrel (on left of the camera) in all directions

to re-establish contact !

especially if the camera is not used for a long time (oxidized contacts)

if it does not work, contact Customer service of Solms

If you bought it less than 5 years, the camera is still under warranty

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry and John...just picked up the camera from adorama. I haven't ran any film through it. It just seems like odd behavior to me. I am an M shooter and this is the first time with the R series.

It is non-responsive in all modes, P, A, T, M, and F. The battery contacts look good. Just seems odd to have to push the DOF lever to get it to turn on. If this is not normal I'll send it back.

Thanks.

Chris

Thanks Henry and John...just picked up the camera from adorama. I haven't ran any film through it. It just seems like odd behavior to me. I am an M shooter and this is the first time with the R series.

It is non-responsive in all modes, P, A, T, M, and F. The battery contacts look good. Just seems odd to have to push the DOF lever to get it to turn on. If this is not normal I'll send it back.

Thanks.

Chris

If you can get it to work temporarily using the DOF lever, then power must be getting through to the electronics; it's not normal behaviour!

Edited by masjah

• 1 year later...
If you can get it to work temporarily using the DOF lever, then power must be getting through to the electronics; it's not normal behaviour!

+ adding one more question. I'm new to Leica. Bought an R8. I don't how to open the battery compartment. I need to change the batteries. I tried to ' |> ' slide knob at the bottom and then tried to push the battery cover out...nothing's happening ! :) I don't know how to do it !!

Could anyone give me the 'step by step' how to open the battery compartment on Leica R8?

Thanks,

Ahsan -- aahsan01@yahoo.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's quite simple. Please turn it off and unlock latch at the bottom. Please refer to page 8.

Here is the link to download the R8 manual if you do not have a manual:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_r8-1.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_r8-2.pdf

It's a great camera. Enjoy!

Edited by AB007
edit

• 1 year later...

and another R8 question... I just picked up a used R8, and I've no experience with them nor after doing my due-diligence research have I been able to locate the answer to this, so hopefully someone here will know. The shutter will not cock manually. There are no batteries in the camera, and I haven't been out to pick any up yet, but is that normal behavior? Should the shutter cock and the film advance work without batteries in the R8? It acts as though it is already cocked, but the top shutter is showing, and the shutter won't release even on "M" at 1/30th.

Thanks!

and another R8 question... I just picked up a used R8, and I've no experience with them nor after doing my due-diligence research have I been able to locate the answer to this, so hopefully someone here will know. The shutter will not cock manually. There are no batteries in the camera, and I haven't been out to pick any up yet, but is that normal behavior? Should the shutter cock and the film advance work without batteries in the R8? It acts as though it is already cocked, but the top shutter is showing, and the shutter won't release even on "M" at 1/30th.

Thanks!

The R8/9 cameras are total battery dependant so what you're describing sounds normal. The shutter has probably been cocked but will not fire with no battery so it may seem jammed but it's not. Just get some batteries and report back.

• Like 2

• 8 years later...

Hi all,

I realize this thread hasn't had anything posted in the last couple of years but my R8 has recently experienced this issue after working flawlessly for the last couple of months. I checked contacts and replaced with new batteries as suggested in this post. The camera will only "turn on" once the DOF is slightly engaged which will display information in the viewfinder for up to 60 secs or unless a shot is taken within that time frame. Was there any other suggestions on what to try or if the camera needs to be sent somewhere for a repair? Appreciate the help!

Hi! Same deal as the above. 

I bought an R8 and have used it many times, but when I use an on camera flash, which I'm using a Metz 54MZ-3, it will shut down after 1-3 shots even with film in it. I'm on the F(Flash) Mode and press the DOP preview down then it just stops. 

Any notion on this?

• 1 month later...

Hi, KurtL!

Try using the camera in Auto or P mode when you use the flash. I believe you're using the correct Metz/Leica flash here, but you can also procure an SF-20 and use it with the camera in Program mode.

I was lucky enough to get an SF-58, which I use with my R8 and R9 bodies in P. The exposures are better than expected, and whenever there were problems it was my fault. For instance, I tilted the flash head the wrong way...

Best of luck with your camera!