Leica X2: Rumors and Wishlist

davidhunternyc

............but if I was to improve the design I'd want a rigid lens and no pop up flash............

An X1 with a built in viewfinder and a proper fixed lens could be a great camera.

FrankR

What I mean by this is that at one time Leica stood for something other than just high price. I think that I will be perfectly happy using an X100 (have one on order) and for Leica to come out with a "me too" camera will just have many yawning. The "X" series needs to be a full frame, fixed lens (both in terms of not recessing when turned off and fixed aperture), high quality camera with a top notch viewfinder. They need to put the full power of their technology in the "X" and digital "M" series and that means moving the processing power of the "S" series into these models. In the film world they stood for simplicity, high quality and high price. Now that they have some cash in their pockets, they need to get back to basics and produce the same. No need for slow processing, autofocus that leaves one wanting and viewfinder options from my six year olds point and shoot. Well, to be fair, my six year old can't put a 1920's external optical viewfinder on her camera.

Edited by contaxgary

. . . The "X" series needs to be a full frame, fixed lens (both in terms of not recessing when turned off and fixed aperture), high quality camera with a top notch viewfinder. . .

and it will not be pocketable nor affordable if a crop sensor w/a leica lens is about $2000us

A ff w/a leica lens would have to be have to be 4000-5000

and who is going to buy that ???when a m9 body is 7000US

and it will not be pocketable nor affordable if a crop sensor w/a leica lens is about $2000us

A ff w/a leica lens would have to be have to be 4000-5000

and who is going to buy that ???when a m9 body is 7000US

I can afford it. I just sell one of my old cars. I will give up fixed lens if I can be sure that the camera will be 100% for many years. Perhaps, you need to have a Leica. I don't... I have half a dozen Leica film cameras and the images coming from my CV, or Ikons look just the same. Many manufacturers will come up with great smaller sensor, compact cameras. I'm just as happy with Fuji on my camera as Leica. The M10 will not be 7K and I prefer not having to clean the sensor on a very expensive camera.

I guess that what I am saying is that I will pay a high price for a camera that gives me something that I don't get with other, less expensive cameras from competing manufacturers. I look for value and the Fujifilm X100 seems to have it. The X1 doesn't and never did.

Edited by contaxgary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can afford it. I just sell one of my old cars. I will give up fixed lens if I can be sure that the camera will be 100% for many years. Perhaps, you need to have a Leica. I don't... I have half a dozen Leica film cameras and the images coming from my CV, or Ikons look just the same. Many manufacturers will come up with great smaller sensor, compact cameras. I'm just as happy with Fuji on my camera as Leica. The M10 will not be 7K and I prefer not having to clean the sensor on a very expensive camera.

I guess that what I am saying is that I will pay a high price for a camera that gives me something that I don't get with other, less expensive cameras from competing manufacturers. I look for value and the Fujifilm X100 seems to have it. The X1 doesn't and never did.

i believe you are in the minority. i may be wrong- and if i am- then leica may see a market for what you propose-if i am right - there won't be enough a market to pay the r&d costs -

additionally, what you desire may ultimately take away sales from the m series

you are correct the m10 won't be 7000 usd prob closer to 10K but by then a good used m9 will be in the 5k territory and you can use your zeiss or cv lenses on it...

we disagree on the x100 v x1 - to me the value is in the quality of the image- which i know the x1 has- and i have yet to see in any example posted to date of the x100

• Like 1

i believe you are in the minority. i may be wrong- and if i am- then leica may see a market for what you propose-if i am right - there won't be enough a market to pay the r&d costs -

additionally, what you desire may ultimately take away sales from the m series

you are correct the m10 won't be 7000 usd prob closer to 10K but by then a good used m9 will be in the 5k territory and you can use your zeiss or cv lenses on it...

we disagree on the x100 v x1 - to me the value is in the quality of the image- which i know the x1 has- and i have yet to see in any example posted to date of the x100

You may be right about market and if so, I will stay with what I consider to be best for the money. I believe that you are wrong about R&D. What I am saying is put the same sensor and processor in the X2 as the M10. Use custom micro-lenses for each camera. This should reduce R&D cost

Regarding the X100, again we agree. We will need to wait for a good raw converter. These companies should just produce DNG and be done with it.

Perhaps I also suffer from filmitis. I am in love with film. My 1DMKIII has hardly been used. I need to sell it. I feel much more relaxed and wait and see about digital.

Edited by contaxgary

Quote from a Tweet by @Leica_Camera in response to my moan about no DNG only option in V2.0.

"DNG only mode in the X1 will not be possible but we have heard you as far as future model developments are concerned"

Ta! We live in hope.

Faster AF and wake-up would be nice, but I'm not seriously inconvenienced at present.

To include an optical view finder would IMO make an X-2 too bulky - it's right on the limit of 'pocketability' now.

An alternative could be a plug-in EVF a la D-Lux5 - hopefully with improved definition over the current ones. If it were to then have a zoom lens like the Digilux 2 ..... we might be getting close to a successor for that sorely missed camera. Alas I fear an APS-C sensor with an f2 zoom might make the lens too large --- apart from the cost!

............to include an optical viewfinder would IMO make an X-2 too bulky............

I don't think so, because if you put a 40mm (for example) lens on it, with AF you don't need a RF, only a built in VF for 40mm.

FrankR

Edited by freusen

A 40mm f2.0 and an optical viewfinder would make it a must-have for me.

Regards,

Bill

For me 40mm fixed would be a bit long a focal length and probably a deal breaker. I hope I didn't give the impression that I was against f2 - 'cos I'm not.

Quite like the idea of the pop-up finder - that flash is a PITA.

If Leica insist on a flash then it needs a small slide lock to release it, rather than the current push action.

Edited by spylaw4

Many of us spoke of a pop-up VF, in lieu of the hardly-used flash. Hence preserving portability, which IMO is the whole point of the X1- a compact with big sensor.

The X1 still wins the "highest IQ in an as small and lightweight package as possible" contest. I hope Leica is not giving up its pole position with making the successor bulkier.

• Like 2

I got my X1 for $1300 from Austria when the Euro tanked.

How much does everyone think their X2 here described would cost?

Add a better display, OVF, and many other features requested and I think you are talking 3K, more than twice that of the Fuji, and with no movie mode or hybrid finder (I doubt Leica would do those in their flagship compact).

Does anyone think that's a winning combination for Leica or consumers? If you think 2K for the X1 was a lot, the X2 with said features wold likely be another Gspot. I'm sure the Leica Old Guard doesn't mind but at that price Leica customers like me would move on.

Compact body, (no OVF) flip out screen to be able to shoot from the ground or over peoples heads or around corners, most people don't know that you are taking pictures using one of these......fixed f2 50mm (in the old format) lens.....fast into action, long battery life, no noises or flashing lights when shooting......firmware that gives excellent results in JPEG......not too many buttons and choices......and all in black.

Would make a nice "street" camera, (call it ST1) one I would have with me all the time......

btw, don't try to copy the X100, no point, its already available.

Edited by cernobila

If Leica made a proper digital CM, with a lens as good as the CM, and with an optical viewfinder better than the CM (because that was pretty ropey), autofocus at least as good as a CM and with a sensor from an X1, I would buy one tomorrow.

I won't buy an X1 tomorrow. Or any tomorrow.

I suspect that there are thousands like me who want a proper, compact, quality digital camera that doesn't require a squint and extended arms to use, nor an add-on viewfinder.

Cash waiting.

Agree totally!