New Firmware for M8 and M9???

Kyler.

Dont know about full frame but can it please have GPRS !!! ...

If you're going to wish for radio connectivity why sell yourself short with GPRS; why not wish for UMTS? (The data transfer platform behind 3G for the uninitiated.:))

Pete.

So what do you all think will change with the new firmware? I'm wondering also do you think it's possible to enter non-6 bit coded lenses like the M9? (or maybe it already has that and I just don't realize it.. haven't got my M8 yet...

edit by mod -Moved into the existing thread on the subject- jaapv

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it is like a loop, Jim

Indeed. But When I posted, bpalme's post was in a different thread. The mods moved it here, where it should have been originally.

Regards, Jim

Edited by jamesk8752
clarity

... do you think it's possible to enter non-6 bit coded lenses like the M9? ...

Jim is right, bp.

Stefan Daniel has said this is not possible, but there are some people who keep fanning the flame. :)

When you look at the M8/M9 beta tester invitation, it seems to me it's only to be an attempt to correct the red-edge phenomenon.

A number of people have pointed out (correctly, I think) in various threads here that the M8 is a finished product now and isn't likely to get any new features.

Edited by ho_co

Jim is right, bp.

Stefan Daniel has said this is not possible, but there are some people who keep fanning the flame. :)

When you look at the M8/M9 beta tester invitation, it seems to me it's only to be an attempt to correct the red-edge phenomenon.

A number of people have pointed out (correctly, I think) in various threads here that the M8 is a finished product now and isn't likely to get any new features.

Ok.. thanks and sorry about the double thread.

I think that there is some thing that can be corrected by some small changes in the firmware: the EXIF lens information it's not clearly recognised by some programs.

The problem can be addressed by external programmers, but some correction in the EXIF data saved by the camera could correct this.

(...)

The problem can be addressed by external programmers, but some correction in the EXIF data saved by the camera could correct this.

Could you elaborate what needs to be corrected by the camera?

Thanks and best,

Michael

One Automator APP with the

exiftool -P -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile @ '-xmp-aux:Lens<LensType' -tagsfromfile @ '-xmp-exif:ApertureValue<ApproximateFNumber'

command changes the EXIF so Aperture can read the data for coded lenses. Other Mac apps need something in the same direction.

I use varioations of this code to get the data corrected for not coded lenses, But if coded lenses are correctly read, we reduce the manual work.

exiftool -P -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile @ '-xmp-aux:Lens<LensType' -tagsfromfile @ '-xmp-exif:ApertureValue<ApproximateFNumber'

command changes the EXIF so Aperture can read the data for coded lenses. Other Mac apps need something in the same direction.

I use varioations of this code to get the data corrected for not coded lenses, But if coded lenses are correctly read, we reduce the manual work.

But this is a fault/feature of the app and no bug of the firmware...

You just have to press SET twice! There is no need for an ISO-button...

W/o iso button, we have to:

1: press set twice

2: scroll up or down

3: press set again and shoot

With an iso button we could just have to:

1: press the button

2: scroll up or down and shoot

Am i missing something?

Guest Ming Rider

Yep, just what I was thinking :)

I think that there is some thing that can be corrected by some small changes in the firmware: the EXIF lens information it's not clearly recognised by some programs.

The EXIF data is correct as is. The camera doesn’t store the f-number as it isn’t known, but if it can guesstimate an f-number it stores that info as part of the proprietary Maker Notes. That’s the correct approach to take and shouldn’t be changed.

W/o iso button, we have to:

1: press set twice

3: press set again and shoot

2: scroll up or down and shoot

Am i missing something?

I haven't used M9 before so I don't know. Maybe, you need to set or do something between scroll up or down and shot. If it is true then the difference is the 1st step. :)

LCT, I think you'd have to add:

3: press SET

4: shoot

Just a guess, knowing how much Leica loves the SET button. ;)

IOW, you need a way of telling the camera to accept your input as complete.

Similar example: If you don't press SET when choosing the focal length of the WATE, the camera lets you shoot, but keeps the previous focal length, not the new one.

Edited by ho_co