R Lens question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently accuired some wonderful Leica gear including some R lenses.Although I have been involved with SLR & rangefinder photography for many years it was never Leica gear.I am unfamiliar with the quality and relative value of the folowing R lenses.If any one has opinions on the following, I welcome them.I know that all companies create some lenses which are "to die for" and some that are "just o.k.".Before I start shooting through all of them(it will take a while) to see for myself ,I would appreciate your insights.

Super Elmar 15mm f3.5 #30... Wetzlar

Elmarit "fish eye" 16mm f2.8 #26... Wetzlar

Super-Angulon 21mm f4 #24... Wetzlar

Super-Angulon 28mm PC f2.8 #34... Germany

PA Curtagon 35mm f4 #24... Germany

Macro Elmarit 60mm f2.8 #28... Wetzlar

Angenieux 45/90mm f2.8 #12... France

Elmarit 135mm f2.8 #23... Wetzlar

Elmarit 180mm f2.8 #22... Wetzlar

Vario Elmar 80/200mm f4.5 #27... Wetzlar/Lens made in Japan(Minolta?)

APO Telyt 280mm f2.8 #32...Germany (big suitcase!)

Lenses appear minty and treated with reverance. Thanks, Rob.

• Like 1

Very nice set, I would say the ones that don't make it up to par are the, 15mm which is now replaced with the 15mm Elmarit F2.8... this "newer " version is also very expensive , about $6500 US. But an amazing lens nevertheless.

The next one is the 180mm Elmarit, which has been superceded by many different "APO" versions which far out perform this one.

The Angenieux lens and the Vario are both extremely underated lenses, someone or somehow when people at the time they released, issued their "Pontifical Judgments" on these lenses, somehow people never gave them a second look..... one was cursed because it wasn't a "true Leica" lens, the other was cursed because it was made by"Minolta"..overlooking the fact that Leica had insane quality standards that made them reject many and at times simply "redo" the lenses themselves...but no..that doesn't count once the "stigma" is fixed, the judgement is final.

If you like SLR, then may I suggest you get yourself an R8 or 9 and maybe consider getting a DMR later on.

If this is all"scooping info" for your Ebay sale..good luck.

Regards, Leicamann

I do agree with John R. Mead about his comments to the Leica lens line-up of yours.

I once followed John R. Mead's advise and bought the 60mm Macro-Elmarit.

I am so happy that I bought that 60mm Macro-Elmarit lens. My best Leica lens ever (!)

It delivers the most true-to-life colours - that I ever have seen a macro lens deliver (!).

All the best - Svenning, Denmark.

Agreed.

John's advice (and that of William L who also owns one) with regards to the 60 Macro-Elmarit is one of the best tips I have had here :)

So much so that the 50 that I also have is now redundant.

The 80-200 "Minolta" lens is also an absolute cracker and a real bargain.

I also agree with John's assessment of the Angenieux lenses as grossly underrated. The 45-90mm f2.8 lens is the only Angenieux "officially" recognized by Leitz/Leica, but the 35-70 f2.5-3.3 and the 70-210 f3.5 zoom lenses are also excellent and relatively easy to get S/H in Leice mount. I am still looking for a 180 APO to check out.

The 35-70 Angenieux is prone to flare, and you have to be aware of this when you use it, but I much prefer it to the 28-70 Vario-Elmar-R, which has a lot of distortion.

The Angenieux zoom lenses are bulkier, particularly the 35-70 and the 45-90, but the 70-210 compares well to the 80-200 f4.0 Vario-Elmar. The only reservation I have with this lens is that the focussing ring is closer to the body and the Zoom ring is out on the lens, the reverse of the usual arrangement for the Leica lenses and the other 2 Angenieux zoom lenses. You have to remenber this when the lens is mounted on your R body, but (deplorably) you have to be more careful when shooting as it will be less stable. But I still love it!

The 35-70 and the 70-210 also have the "Angenieux" polycarbonate look and feel. Definitely not a Leica look, but perfectly functional. The 45-90 is a metal barrel, but the proportions are unusual.

Guy