Sign in to follow this  
BLeventhal

Struggling with M8 decision

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I absolutely love my M8, but must admit that I am a little disappointed that I cannot take it out in inclement weather. I live in British Columbia, on the pacific coast. We get a lot of rain here, and I don't dare take my M8 on any outings where it is likely to get wet. I bought my son a used Olympus e3 for Christmas, and must say that that camera is built like a brick, and it is very well weather sealed. I am thinking of picking another one up for me, as an alternative to my M8 when I decide to head out into the elements. Oh, another thing...my M8 has literally frozen up on me in the cold and stops working when it is outside in sub-zero temperatures for more than a half hour. This same problem did not happen with my son's Olympus e3.
I must be doing something wrong - rain-snow-minus 20 C-anything - the camera just keeps on working. M8 and M9. The only thing I am careful about is condensation - that can kill any camera, including a weathersealed one. And I carry spare batteries in my pocket to keep them warm in the cold - again cold batteries lose most of their capacity for any camera, and the M9 is small and metal, so it loses heat faster than a plastic and rubber covered large brick.

Guest Linsengericht

No problem with temperature so far. I did have temporary problems with the M8 after a few hours in light rain: some rain managed to enter the viewfinder and it took some hours to dehumidify the camera.

My weather sealed Nikons worked fine under much worse condition, i.e. hours of heavy rain and snow, without any problems.

Edited by Linsengericht

I would like for the M9 to be weathersealed, but it does not seem to be that simple. Of course Leica did build a watertight M4, but nowadays it is more complicated, it appears - see the way the S2 is sealed. And of course - how to get the lenses waterproofed with a manual aperture ring?

Bruce, go for it, knowing its limitations..macro and tele.

My M8s have travelled all over. Desert included.

Any sensor shall get dirty. Sensible precautions should take care.

Landscapes..

All with the cron 28mm asph. Of course, I was very near to the mountain.

Good luck.

Edited by fursan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bruce,

You mentioned the M9 and a Summarit 35. My view is that if you plan to spend that much on a body, you should get higher end Leica lenses (eg, Crons, Luxs). That's just my view, and I fully expext to get some flack from the Summarit crowd ...

Bruce,

You mentioned the M9 and a Summarit 35. My view is that if you plan to spend that much on a body, you should get higher end Leica lenses (eg, Crons, Luxs). That's just my view, and I fully expext to get some flack from the Summarit crowd ...

Incoming..............

Love my 35mm Summarit. It is one very under rated lens just because people think it is "cheap".......

It is small, light, compact and one fantastic piece of glass.

Sits on M8.2 90% of the time and takes great pics even wide open......

Artillery barrage over......

Fursan,

Thanks for posting your images... the M8 really does produce some brilliant color and detail. I'd love to see more landscape / contemplative work from Leica shooters, as the potential is tremendous. While I realize that the RF cameras are best suited for street/photojournalism, the combination of quality and portability also makes for a great travel/landscape tool.

Ramosa and Big T,... thanks for your input about optics....

To all who have replied to this thread... thanks for your input. I decided to hold off on the purchase of the M8 for now. The combination of an upcoming photo-shoot/book project in Costa Rica, taxes, and spouse have forced me to put my transition to Leica on hold.

Having spent the better part of 22 years specializing on nature and wildlife photography, I am ready to stretch beyond my comfort zone... once I get past my obligations and the familial roadblock, I'll be Leica bound. Until then, I will continue to lurk at the wonderful work that I see in the l-camera forum.

Many thanks and regards,

bruce

The Way We See It

Bruce,

As a satisfied user of the Summarit 35, I'm curious as to why you think this lens is inferior to other Leica 35s. Have you ever used one? In what respect does it disappoint?

Erwin Puts has stated that it is competitive in IQ to the Summicron 35 ASPH, and even surpasses it in flare control, if I remember correctly.

Regards, Jim

As a satisfied user of the Summarit 35, I'm curious as to why you think this lens is inferior to other Leica 35s. Have you ever used one? In what respect does it disappoint?

Erwin Puts has stated that it is competitive in IQ to the Summicron 35 ASPH, and even surpasses it in flare control, if I remember correctly.

Regards, Jim

+1

I have the 50mm Summarit, its razor sharp.

My next 50mm will be the summilux. I don't see the point of the extra for the cron.

rgds

Bruce, stop worrying and just do it, buy the thing. You have nothing to loose; the M8 has to be an absolute bargain as even at £1,500 it is 2.5 times cheaper than a pre-owned M9, even if you could find one for sale. I bought an old M8 about a year ago as a stop-gap. I shoot raw and have been amazed at the images I get off it. I can afford an M9, but I'm really in no hurry at all. - the M8 - I love it...

Edited by zipper

Bruce you made a comment early on about your Canon 300 f2.8 IS. I have one of those and agree that it is a great lens, so sharp even at f2.8. If you buy an M8 or M9 with Leica lenses then you will get similar performance (or even better, it is very subjective) at much lower focal lengths.

For landscapes I prefer the M9 simply because of the number of pixels available. It was not long ago that 22Mp CCD backs on Hasselblads and Phaseone cameras were used extensively for landscapes. An M9 will give you similar performance.

You may not want to do it but used Canon 300mm F2.8 lenses are commanding very good prices as the new version is about twice the price and virtually unobtainable.

Jeff