Zeiss' focus ring too stiff?

bruno7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I just got a brand new Biogon 35/2. The build is exceptional, very beautiful lens.

Amazing as it is, the focus ring is so stiff that it's really hard to turn. Nearly impossible to turn with just one finger using the nob at the bottom of the lens.

It is stiffer when turning from the closest distance, it is slightly smoother when going the other way back.

Also, I thought it would be soundless when focusing but when listening from up close you can hear silent noise - I presume it's some metal moving inside. Not that there is anything loose, just probably two pieces too close to each other - it's hard to describe...

It's probably all right and I don't want to send it back as this is my only lens right now and I need to start shooting, I just cannot wait another week or two or three to get a new one.

So my question is: how is your Biogon doing?

Is it very stiff or smooth?

Can this stiffness go away in time when using frequently?

Thanks for help.

So my question is: how is your Biogon doing?

Not sure if it helps, but I was just recently shopping for 35 and 50 lenses for my M8. My dealer let me use the following Zeiss lenses:

Biogon 35, stiff

Planar 50, stiff

Biogon 28, smooth

Planar 50 2nd hand, stiff

(first three lenses new out of the box)

The dealer did, however, tell me that the focusing ring gets better after regular use. As I ended up buying Leica lenses, I did not bother to call Zeiss and ask. Perhaps you might consider giving Zeiss a call?

I have Biogon 21 and 35 as well as Planar 50. On none of them focussing is stiff. Focussing is smooth instead since day one. As I do not have new Leica lenses (my Leica lenses are 30 and 15 years old) I cannot compare to new Leica lenses, but my Zeiss lenses do show a tiny bit more resistance than the Leicas.

I cannot tell that my Zeiss lenses focussed much lighter over the time (exception: the planar, it needed repair after roughly 3-4 years: they replaced the lens completely), certainly all of my Zeiss lenses allow 1-finger-tab focussing.

So my guess - if focussing is not running smooth after say 10 turns of the ring, then there is something wrong that might fall back on you sooner or later. If you have bought that lens already, let it get serviced under warranty, if not, go for different lens.

Disclaimer: You are not comparing focus stiffness with the behaviour of the manual focus ring on an AF lens, are you?

Johannes

Disclaimer: You are not comparing focus stiffness with the behaviour of the manual focus ring on an AF lens, are you?

:-)

No, not at all. Those AF lenses are like a spinning wheel when you try to focus manually.

I've had a Hasseblad with Zeiss lens. And I know that it's a different format and most of all te size of the lens. But same maker, right? The focusing was a bit stiff (given the amount of glass and metal you have to move inside), but smoother than this.

I just got my M8 and this is my first lens so I have no experience with Zeiss ZM lenses.

But I had sensor cleaned today and the guy at the desk said, although they carry different brands, that the stiffness is kind of common among Zeiss lenses and it might get better in time.

Well, it's under 2-year warranty so I guess I'll just give it a go and if I'm not happy in few weeks/months, I'll send it back for check.

Thank you for help!

I own my first rangefinder, which is my lovely M8 and Biogon ZM 35mm lens, over a year a go. Previously I own a big chunk Nikon D3 and use the Zeiss ZF lenses (You can call me a big fan of Zeiss lenses, I don't even have Nikon lens at that time :D ), but I decided to sell the Nikon and ZFs.

Until this moment, I live my happy life with my M8+Biogon, it's an outstanding lens in terms of colour rendering, contrast, insanely sharp, and the 3D effect.

And yes, I acknowledge all Zeiss lenses I ever own (ZFs and ZM), the focus ring is too stiff (at least for me), and the ZM still doesn't show any sign of 'loosen'.

Wish I could make it smoother then it would become a perfect lens :cool: