Macro Elmar 90mm f/4 Set; Some Observations

Lindolfi

Everyone thanked you but no one responded... I thank you because I have had my eye on this lens for some time as a travel kit. Maybe I will work on getting it now.

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by 3rdtrick
add text

Thanks Doc Henry, I already saw many of your posts with the 90/4 and it is nice to see a list here. I do not see the 90/4 as a replacement of faster lenses. But given the f/4 max it is a great lens for its purposes. My 75/1.4 will remain in the bag. :)

• Like 1

I would add that in my experience with this lens is not immune to flare, with or without the hood if badly provoked (directly into a very bright light source). Probably you could say that about most lenses. I don't recall experiencing flare with the Elmarit M but that is just anecdotal. I am actually getting mine back after selling it to a friend. I shall compare them in identical conditions for my own interest.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1

Did the test today you propose hoppyman, from tripod, same position and orientation, same light (strong light coming in from window above table). Both lenses were clean.

Here the Elmarit 90/2.8 without hood

L1012251.jpg

Here the Macro Elmar 90/4 without hood

L1012252.jpg

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for that. Practical contributions are the very best of the Forum content. On occasion with the Macro Elmar and sun angle within the excellent hood's edges I got non-image forming light obscuring almost all of the usable content.

• Like 1

Macro Elmar 90mm

ISO 250, f8, 1/90th second on the M9

It was probably near to 77cm focus

Took a bunch of flower pictures at Kew Gardens. This one was probably the best.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh OK. I missed that detail. Yes I was talking about the Elmarit M. I got one of the old ones too (mainly for Visoflex) but it had some fogging and was retired. I prefer the performance of the later designs. Personal preference, I know.

Geoff, I get the impression you're referring to the recent 90mm Elmarit-M while Lindolfi means the old 90mm Elmarit (in the first post he mentions using the lens head on a Visoflex).

Oh OK. I missed that detail. Yes I was talking about the Elmarit M. I got one of the old ones too (mainly for Visoflex) but it had some fogging and was retired. I prefer the performance of the later designs. Personal preference, I know.

Hi Geoff,

When would you consider a lens worth restoring to the degree possible?

Thanks, K-H.

That is not something I would contemplate personally. Most likely the repair costs would exceed the value of the old lens (typically maybe AUD 200 or less here). I'm not aware of anyone doing this type of work in this country anyway. The lens I mean is the old Elmar model I from 1949/63 and it has some fogging and fungus. I have the Tele Elmar 135 to use with my Visoflex and have the other, modern 90's.

• Like 1

That is not something I would contemplate personally. Most likely the repair costs would exceed the value of the old lens (typically maybe AUD 200 or less here). I'm not aware of anyone doing this type of work in this country anyway. The lens I mean is the old Elmar model I from 1949/63 and it has some fogging and fungus. I have the Tele Elmar 135 to use with my Visoflex and have the other, modern 90's.

Hi Geoff,

Is it this one ?

1954-1968

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/4_Elmar

Henry

The Macro Elmar is one of my favorite lenses but I find the supplied lens hood unusable as it makes it close to impossible to mount this lens with the hood in its storage position. As Lindolfi's post shows it's very difficult to make the lens flare even without hood. I am using a short Heliopan metal hood Heliopan 39mm Screw-In Metal Lens Hood (Short) 703019 B&H Photo mostly to prevent me to stick my fingers on the front lens. I am using a cheap eBay snap on 39mm lens cap - Leica's version is much wider than the hood and gets frequently caught when I pull the camera out of the bag.

According to my Pocket book all of the early versions of this very long lifed lens were optically the same although the bodies changed a lot. Mine is serial numbered 135xxxetc which is supposed to be from 1956 I think. Externally really good including glass and aperture fine. Sure does need an optical clean internally.

Send me a PM if you think it deserves a new home ;-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The Macro-Elmar M 90 mm f:4 its an all purposes lens. Real Macro.Photography it's not the realm of M cameras, but if you need to capture details, it's a must have in your pocket. It's lightweight and compact in the old tradition of collapsible lenses, and a great performer.

I got one and I would use it more, and your sggestion to use the Heliopan Hood (close to the Elmar-M 50 mm hood) it's very valuable.

• 3 weeks later...
According to my Pocket book all of the early versions of this very long lifed lens were optically the same although the bodies changed a lot. Mine is serial numbered 135xxxetc which is supposed to be from 1956 I think. Externally really good including glass and aperture fine. Sure does need an optical clean internally.

Send me a PM if you think it deserves a new home ;-)

[ATTACH]247567[/ATTACH]

Here is a 3-part panorama taken with M9 + Elmar 90 mm f/4. 2011.04.01 Panorama Truchas - winklers' Photos

Compared to an Elmarit-M f/2.8 it is just a little soft in the corners. 2011.04.01 Meditation Point Views - winklers' Photos

Best, K-H.

• Like 1