Repurposed TUMI 5123D T-TECH Bag.

d2mini

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought I'd share my repurposed back that happened on accident.

I've had this Tumi bag for a while but hardly ever use it. Bought it a few years ago before I even had a Leica. This morning I was getting ready for a short weekend trip and looking for my luggage when this fell out of the closet. I had just bought a Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home bag a couple days ago to carry my 3 lens M9 kit. But it now dawned on me that I liked this little Tumi bag and it has more pockets and stuff then the Crumpler. THEN I remembered I have the Artisan & Artist Evan's Walker bag (the leather version) and the insert is removable. So i grabbed that and stuck it in the Tumi and it just barely fits! All together, it's a tad more comfortable than the Crumpler, has more pockets that are easier to access (the crumpler pockets are all very tight) and it really doesn't look like a camera bag, yet still modern. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Here's some pics. I don't have much in it at the moment. Just the M9 with 35 cron attached. 50mm Zeiss in one side and the 90mm Elmarit in the other, with the M9 lens down on top. Or I could pull out one of the dividers, stack the two lenses cap to cap, and the M9 can go all the way down in to the divider. But the M9 on top is quicker to access. The front pocket has my extra battery and memory card holder. Under the flap there are two more pockets for pens, papers, wallet, lens cloth, etc. Inside there is a large zippered mesh pocket. I have a couple nd filters loose in there. And on the back of the back there is yet another pocket that can easily fit my Kindle or even my ipad if I don't mind it sticking out a little. Good enough to take on the plane anyway.

I guess I'm going to return my Crumpler.

1213065075_75oVo-O.jpg

1213065070_bM9R5-O.jpg

1213065072_sfyWG-O.jpg

1213065138_TvtTj-O.jpg

• Like 1

ok, I guess I'll continue talking to myself... ;)

I put this little number together the day I was leaving for Miami.

I just got back yesterday and the bag performed better than any camera specific bag yet.

Here's some thoughts:

Better than the A&A bag I ganked the insert from because the Tumi has more storage (taller) making it better for travel. Plenty of room for flatter items that couldn't fit in the A&A at all without sticking way out of the rear pocket. But it does have something from the A&A that I personally prefer and that is a zipper as access to the main compartment. For me, this is much easier to work out of compared to a flap-top bag. The Tumi, worn cross-body like I wear all my camera bags, is more comfortable even without a shoulder pad. It hugs the body, and can be rotated from front to back with ease and never gets in the way even when traversing through tight crowds. My wife even carried it for a few minutes when my hands were full and the first thing out of her mouth was "wow, this is comfortable!"

Better than Billingham for me, due to a few reasons.

Styling - doesn't stand out due to a contrast in style both in what's in style these days and my own personal style. I'm a younger guy and I dress even younger. Billingham sticks out like a sore thumb on me.

Fuction - I love billingham's padding, but i prefer the pockets, zippers, flaps, and strap on the Tumi. Easy to work out of and feels more secure, especially the smaller pockets.

Size - This of course depends on which model Billingham, but I had the Hadley Pro and obviously this bag is much smaller but it worked great for a 3 lens kit and would fit another lens or two if you don't mind stacking. But i feel like i could fit more in this small bag compared to a Billingham in the same size.

Better than (current) canvas Domke for a few reasons as well. Compared to f-5xb and f-803 waxwear.

Construction... it's some kind of ballistic nylon or something. Super tough yet nice and flexible.

Easy access. The front clip/flap of the 803 sucks.

Storage. The pockets on the 803 flap are pretty worthless. Could fit an ipad in back and not fond of the front pockets and none of these feel secure.

Looks better (subjective).

Not that comfy to wear. 5xb is more comfy than the 803 imho, due to size i guess.

Crumpler.

Crumpler I always want to like. I like their modern look, they have some decent details/ideas for storage and great padding, yet they make their bags sooooo tight! They really need to "loosen the belt" a bit. Trying to access small pockets is a real chore, and I have small hands. This also restricts how much you can carry. They also utilize a flap to cover the main compartment which I already mentioned I'm not fond of. And due to the padding and tight design/construction, the bag doesn't hug the body.

Think Tank.

They make some amazing bags, especially for dslr cameras. They put more thought into the design/function of their bags than anyone, especially for the pro shooters. But they are ugly and bulky and just not made for rangefinders. Even their newer Retrospective line of bags which look better, are too bulky and just too much bag for an M kit, IMHO. I had Retro 10 when they were first released and returned it immediately. Another line of bags that I really want to like but just can't.

Ok, that's pretty much it. If any of this helps anyone, cool. Remember, it's all just my personal opinion and what works for me may not work for you and vice-versa. I've seen a lot of people mention the re-purposing of non-camera bags for M kits and hadn't given much thought to it before. But I see now that the right bag with the right insert can make a world of difference. :cool:

Edited by d2mini
  • Like 2

I've been looking at Tumi bags for a while, working out whether one would be good for me. I like the amount of carrying space I get with my Thinktank Urban Disguise 30, as well as the carrying handles, but it does get in the way sometimes. Thanks for the pictures and write up, this helps a lot.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

d2mini,

I can't find your bag, the 5123D, in TUMI's web page...

Maybe it's discontinued.

In any case, I like your solution very much.

Thanks for sharing!

Manolo

Yes, while google searching for it just to get the right name/model number, it appeared to me as well that it is probably discontinued. Tumi seems to like to keep coming up with new designs so I guess the older stuff has to go. I bought this bag early 2008 so it is a few years old now. But I'm sure they must have current bags that would work just as well if not better. If it helps any, the exterior dimensions of this bag are around 11" x 11" x 3.5".

That's the point, the dimensions (11x11x3.5 in = 28x28x9 cm) of that bag mean a quite flat thing (it adapts to the body), but at the same time large enough to hold a smaller book, a folded magazine or a writing pad, besides of the A&A insert (I love that bright red colour!).

Thank you!

That's the point, the dimensions (11x11x3.5 in = 28x28x9 cm) of that bag mean a quite flat thing (it adapts to the body), but at the same time large enough to hold a smaller book, a folded magazine or a writing pad, besides of the A&A insert (I love that bright red colour!).

Thank you!

Yup, exactly. This bag is as flat as you can get, yet the material/design allows it to open and flex so easily that working out of it is a cinch. And even at that size it holds plenty of kit.

I kinda mentioned in the first post too, if the inside isn't stuffed too much, the back pocket can even fit an ipad with the apple case. But of course this makes the whole bag much stiffer... not something I'd want to do while out shooting, but for getting from A to B when traveling it would be ok.

Glad I could help. :)

It's interesting, isn't it? Over here Tumi is regarded as the choice of "road warriors" - those sales-rep or mid-range consultant types who have to carry a large laptop together with a clean shirt and a change of socks. You see them by the hundred at Heathrow Airport on a Monday morning, all cheap Boss suits with one side worn shiny by the abrasion of the ballistic nylon bag... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

It's interesting, isn't it? Over here Tumi is regarded as the choice of "road warriors" - those sales-rep or mid-range consultant types who have to carry a large laptop together with a clean shirt and a change of socks. You see them by the hundred at Heathrow Airport on a Monday morning, all cheap Boss suits with one side worn shiny by the abrasion of the ballistic nylon bag... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

Yup, same here! Probably why I never gave them a second thought for photo use... so associated for travel/business purposes.

Probably why I never gave them a second thought for photo use... so associated for travel/business purposes.

That's exactly why I'm now looking for a Tumi to repurpose. Excluding the notebook compatible models, most would not give a Tumi a second look. Who would want to steal "boring" business papers?

My thought regarding the 'no camera bag look' is buy insurance, use common sense security precautions, and get over it. Thieves are as likely to want to steal laptops, e-readers, iphones, and just about any tech device that can fit in any bag, flat or thick.

Jeff

My thought regarding the 'no camera bag look' is buy insurance, use common sense security precautions, and get over it. Thieves are as likely to want to steal laptops, e-readers, iphones, and just about any tech device that can fit in any bag, flat or thick.

Jeff

This is totally true and you are not alone in this regard. I've said the same myself.

We have no idea what's going to attract a would be thief.

This is the very bottom of the list for reasons I like the bag... but truthfully, it's still a reason because I think there is still a little merit to this thought, even if any truth to it is small. You have to admit that if you saw me walking down the street with this bag and you saw another guy walking down the street with a big lowepro bag... he would probably be a target for theft before I would.

You have to admit that if you saw me walking down the street with this bag and you saw another guy walking down the street with a big lowepro bag... he would probably be a target for theft before I would.

Missed my point; the thief may not want a camera. Laptops and another trinkets are nice, too.

Jeff

Missed my point; the thief may not want a camera. Laptops and another trinkets are nice, too.

Jeff

I totally got your point.

MY point was that I AGREE with you, but you just don't know for sure either way. When looking at the two bags... which looks like it would be more fun to steal? A little man purse, or the one that looks like it's full of expensive electronic gizmos. ;)

Either way, I'm not worried about it.

I'm not worried either, but since you phrased the question as your Tumi versus a Lowepro, the Tumi is apparently more often used by business folk carrying laptops according to other posts above. And, even if this weren't the case (so to speak), I fail to see why the thief would go for the Lowepro any more than another bag.

But, I don't to profess to know the mind of a thief, hence I get the bag that suits my needs (which btw would have a flap rather than a zipper for better weather protection).

Jeff