My R8 is totally dead- any suggestions?

Posto 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My R8 is totally dead- I have changed the batteries, cleaned the contacts and tried coaxing it back to life, but unfortunately, it is totally dead (just as if there were no batteries fitted). Nothing shows any evidence of any power.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments, or should it perhaps be used as a paperweight (I doubt that Leica repairs would be cost-effective on such a camera)? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is there much reliability difference between the R8 and the R9 (in case I need to replace it)?

Edited by Posto 6

Batteries are brand-new (exp 2019), and were tested beforehand. The camera does not fire on any speed, and shows absolutely no signs of life- no lights, lcd functions, exposure info- absolutely nothing, as if there were no batteries present.

I have tried the shutter on every possible speed, with no results, unfortunately:mad:

Thanks, but I have checked the batteries in another camera as well (they are not the rechargeable ones), and they are really excellent. The problem seems to lie with the R8- although all visible connections seem fine, placing the batteries in the camera has absolutely no impact as far as any function, light or performance is concerned.

I know this sounds bizarre- but it is unfortunately true.

Thanks, but I have checked the batteries in another camera as well (they are not the rechargeable ones), and they are really excellent. The problem seems to lie with the R8- although all visible connections seem fine, placing the batteries in the camera has absolutely no impact as far as any function, light or performance is concerned.

I know this sounds bizarre- but it is unfortunately true.

But a Leicaflex SL 2 is also a nice camera:cool:

Looks like I will eventually probably scrap it for parts, as I have just bought an anthracite R9 from KEH in EX+ condition to replace it. Price was cheaper (~$150) than the new R8 kindly mentioned by Jaapv, but I hope that the R9 is also more durable and less troublesome than the R8.

I believe early R8 models has unreliable electronics which often lead to failures such as these. The same thing happened to mine a long time back and I was told electronics was being replaced by Contax electronics. Later R8 models may not have this problem and should as Jaap point out be as good as the R9.

If the camera was purchased new (or second hand) , less than 5 years, it is still under warranty.

...may be electrical contact at the barrel at left (where there is "off " and the different modes):

try to rotate the barrel.

if the camera is not used for a while, possible electrical problem

Ask advice from your Leica dealer !

Henry

PS : my R8 works perfectly well, I bought 2 years ago

Edited by Doc Henry

I going into my 9th year using R8s [both purchased used].

I've had to have the meter replaced in both of'em, and had a aperture linkage problem in one. That's the only repairs needed so far that wasn't my fault.

I dropped one onto some rocks, with no internal damage. There was external damage, a bent lens mount and a bent rear film door, but Kindermann fixed all that.

They are both humming along very well right now. :)

Gary

My R9 suffered from the "exposure meter death" Leica wanted 780 Euro to repair it -it is broken up for spares now. I bought one of those new R8s and it is as good a camera as the R9, maybe even better in conjunction with the DMR - and yes - five years guaranty :)