Suggestions for a 35 mm lens

Giorgio Festa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am actually buying a 35 mm lens for my M9. I found a couple of options in the used marked :

- Summicron 35mm f2 pre asph IV serie

- Summicron 35mm f2 Asph

The Asph is a little bit more expensive (as it should be...). I am really undecided.

I will use them for reportage. I generally like good sharpness and good bokeh.

Can the pre asph give me both these characteristics? has some of you some experiences with the a.m. lens and the M9?

Thanks for your kind help

I'll put in a goood word for the v.4 Summicron. It is in fact better on the M9 (properly coded or identified) that it ever was on film! I own the v.2 Summilux ASPH too, but no way I will sell off my Summicron ... it is the most compact of all 35mm lenses, even the Summarit!

The example below was made in a "dramatically" lit exhibition hall, at ISO 1000 and f:4. No lack of detail – even at A4 size – and point highlights are well handled. The corners are a bit softer at f:2, but the image is not only useable, but pleasant.

The old man from the Spherical Age

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you Lars,

Great shot! have you got some other pictures of the summicron v4 where I can see the bokeh? I would like to have an idea about it...

thank you

Here's one that is mostly bokeh – utter gloom in the hall in which the warship Vasa is preserved. Lens fully open. Note the well rendered point sources of light.

The old man and his grandson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you Lars. I visited that museum some years ago...wonderful places!!

The bokeh is very good. Also the sharpness is nice. Some people says that the sharpness is not that good at f2 but this shot looks good...do you really see bad sharpness at f2?

sorry to bother you...

tks

Don't do that, Luigi. It will cost you 5500 Euro...:p

I am fatalistic on the matter... :o... I start with the principle that I will resist.. but IF I WON'T... well it simply means that I COULD NOT... my will is not responsible... :D

(I'm also very cabalistic on numbers... this is my post 6101---> sum equals 8... a clear signal that THERE i must stay on... :p)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

If you want a small lens to use at f/5.6 the f/2.8 summaron is real good, it will out perform the type IV at f/2 when it is at f/2.8...

Getting a mint example at a resonable porice is difficult.

The Konica and ZM lenses are also good performers, and as abouve the CV f/2.5 or f/1.7.

Noel

Hi

I'd a said the Cv f/2.5 was high contrast or rather it is compared with the f/2 and f/1.8 Canons I use (on LTM) and the Summaron f/2.8 that I borrow...

On a M8 or M9 you may want a lower contrast lens to tame the high lights a little.

Noel

I'll put in a goood word for the v.4 Summicron. It is in fact better on the M9 (properly coded or identified) that it ever was on film! I own the v.2 Summilux ASPH too, but no way I will sell off my Summicron ... it is the most compact of all 35mm lenses, even the Summarit!

That is my experience too, I experimented with the ASPH and the Summarit before I decided for the v.4. In colors, contrast and sharpness there is no such lens in that class of weight and size. The hood of the Summarit is an obstacle, the bokeh of the ASPH is not that smooth and you have to carry more weight for that setback.

I agree that the v.4 is even better than on the M9 than with the best slidefilm, and we already had to accept more weight and size changing from M3-M7 to M9, as well as from the 'spheric' to the aspheric lenses, so a little more handiness is a great value these days.

I agree with Xmas that the Summaron is great, but my v.4 is better in micro-contrast than my Summaron at 2.8, especially not at F3.5 and closer than 3.5m. I would prefer the Summaron above the Summarit though, just like I wouldn't want to miss the v.4 at F2.4. :-)

Edited by otto.f

I am fatalistic on the matter... :o... I start with the principle that I will resist.. but IF I WON'T... well it simply means that I COULD NOT... my will is not responsible... :D

(I'm also very cabalistic on numbers... this is my post 6101---> sum equals 8... a clear signal that THERE i must stay on... :p)

Oh dear Luigi. That post was actually 6102. Which equals 9. Decisions decisions. ;)

Regards

Alex