Sign in to follow this  
kdriceman

M9 and Bundled Adobe Software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I already have Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 and have been using it with my M9 images so far. Should I download the PS/LR software with the Leica license now or wait until I need to add it to another computer? Does the Leica license give you free upgrades to a CS 6 when it is released or will I be paying for an upgrade? Is there M9 specific software that comes with this download. I sent a request to Leica a week ago, but they are slow getting back to me.

I never downloaded any software, but I did check it out and the Leica version was the same as I was already using.

I look forward the the update question, but I believe applies to LR only, not PS5. There are many past threads addressing conversations with Leica about upgrades, if it was not downloaded, etc. Just don't know where we ended up.

To note, with all of the major Adobe products- PS, LR, Illustrator, Acrobat, ID- you are able to load them on two computers, but only have one active at a time, the idea being one loads it on a laptop and a desktop.

Edited by tdtaylor

Thanks. Never mind. I got confused where Leica said "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" and it comes as a download "to guarantee the most current version is always available.". So it is only Lightroom. I already have it active on 2 computers which is ok with Adobe, as long as you don't use them at the same time. I'll download the Leica licensed one if I need it on a 3rd computer.

Alternativly do not activate your licence untill the next version of lightroom is released and you will have LR4 free.

Brian

Lightroom. I already have it active on 2 computers which is ok with Adobe, as long as you don't use them at the same time. I'll download the Leica licensed one if I need it on a 3rd computer.

Actually Lightroom (unlike other Adobe products) doesn't require activation and can be installed on as many computers as you like (though doing so may be in breach of the software license).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks. Never mind. I got confused where Leica said "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom"

Ya, it's weird, but that's what is has been called since version 2. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. Not to be confused with Adobe Photoshop.

Ya, it's weird, but that's what is has been called since version 2. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. Not to be confused with Adobe Photoshop.

Yes, Lightroom is part of the Photoshop Family...

A bit like the Walmart family really:)

Alternativly do not activate your licence untill the next version of lightroom is released and you will have LR4 free.

Brian

Are we sure about this? I was a matter of much debate and correspondence with Leica last Fall. I would love it if it is true, for I never activated my Leica copy for 11/2009.

Actually Lightroom (unlike other Adobe products) doesn't require activation and can be installed on as many computers as you like (though doing so may be in breach of the software license).

Yes, it is a breach, and when you open the program it calls the Mother Ship. I have about 10 copies, and in one instance had it on three machines, and it locked them up, as well as two other copies which were only on two machines. Had to call Adobe, plead a mistake, and have them reset the serial numbers.

Adobe didn't cut much slack for a mistake for a 20 year customer with lots of copies of the complete Suite.

And deactivating and activating does not work. After 8 times it locks up the copies.

Are we sure about this? I was a matter of much debate and correspondence with Leica last Fall. I would love it if it is true, for I never activated my Leica copy for 11/2009.

It worked for me.When I bought my M9, LR3 was not available and I was already running LR2.5 (I think that was the version) Once LR3 was available I downloaded and installed and activated it.I am sure their was a few posts at the time recomending that you could do this.

Brian

The activation code only works for the specified version of LR. (with the exception of LR2-3 for Leica after a lot of hassle, but I doubt that will be repeated.)

Hi Terry Jaap my well be right but it worked before so unless someone needed a third copy its worth waiting and seeing what happens. I have an unused M9 LR activation code ,if it activates LR4 assuming thats the next version then thats OK.If it does not its buy an upgrade or plan B .

Brian

Hi Terry Jaap my well be right but it worked before so unless someone needed a third copy its worth waiting and seeing what happens. I have an unused M9 LR activation code ,if it activates LR4 assuming thats the next version then thats OK.If it does not its buy an upgrade or plan B .

Brian

Agreed. LR4 is probably a year off.

Don't forget, Leica provide you with one version (whatever is current at the time you download it). They do NOT provide you with any free updates after that.

Don't forget, Leica provide you with one version (whatever is current at the time you download it). They do NOT provide you with any free updates after that.

Never downloaded it- already had multiple copies. And I would't expect updates- they have to pay for the continuing development of software somehow.

I agree , so by that reckoning "if" LR 4 is available in say 1 year an M9 user with an unused activation code should be able to activate it even if the M9 was purchased Feb 2011.

Brian:D