Summicron-C vs. Summarit 35

mawe3000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is NOt the dedicated Heavystar hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is NOt the dedicated Heavystar hood.

The dedicated hood has the same size as the standard one i guess.

That is correct, but the hood you show is incomplete/ the configuration for E39 lenses. It comes with a 5.5 adapter ring which brings it ca 5 mm forward, thus making it more effective.

This is the complete Summicron C hood:

Edited by jaapv

Here is my approach to dealing with 35 mm Cron flare (apologies for the phone-photo). Obviously, this is a standard lens hood with its cover modified to mask-out as much extraneous light as possible on an M8. The cover is semi-permanently attached to the lens hood with automotive adhesive, the sort that is used to attach door-frame weather seal to the car body.

You could have done it after checking at f/2, hence my question.
No problem with the question. I have used this for over a year in a wide variety of lighting situations with no vignetting. I believe it helps to reduce flare and improve contrast although I have not done A-B tests in the field to confirm it.

That is quite an interesting Hood and Mask you've put together.

My Compliments. I shall have to consider futzing with something like that myself.

Query: I'm using the Rokkor 40mm vers ii (if I may call it that) which was original to the Minolta CLE's.

It is reputed that the design of this 40 is mechanically/optically a clone of the Summicron/Rokkor 40 that preceded it EXCEPT for Improved Coatings.

Can anyone authoritatively confirm this - from experience or cite sources?

Thanks for any inputs.

btw: have only used the lens a little so far, but it's visual signature as a drawer of images is a near clone of how my Summicron Fifty R looks when shot on my EOS.

Still coming to 'grips' with it's diminutive size!

Richard in Michigan

Thanks, Richard. It isn't difficult to fashion once you get past the notion of cutting into a perfectly good lens cap. I was inspired by a baffled, collapsable Hasselblad studio lens hood that I have and like.

I had a 40mm Minolta lens which seemed fine when I had a CL. I found the CL body (RF and shutter, specifically) to be problematic, however, so I traded out of it.

Thanks, Richard. It isn't difficult to fashion once you get past the notion of cutting into a perfectly good lens cap. I was inspired by a baffled, collapsable Hasselblad studio lens hood that I have and like.

I had a 40mm Minolta lens which seemed fine when I had a CL. I found the CL body (RF and shutter, specifically) to be problematic, however, so I traded out of it.

Hi Phil,

You seemed to have been inspired by a good source. The design seems quite usable and functional, as well. I've never owned any of the C mount M's, I just was faced with having a once in a lifetime windfall to go M and after opting for a Digital M: I had to be creative as all get out with my Lens Budget. I have a CV 28 f1.9, the Rokkor 40 f2, a CV 75 f2.5, and a Leica 90 f2.8, to round out my 'kit' for use on my Black M8.

I am loving my Camera, I love what I get out of it, and out of my lenses, too.

There's a steep learning curve between me and fluid unconscious operation of them!

Gawd! I've got all the grace and smoothness of an unfolding lawn chair with it in my hands. :-)

I love how it's making me think so hard about my photographic processes again!

Peace!

Richard in Mi.