Summicron-C vs. Summarit 35

mawe3000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am considering a switch from my Summicron-C 40/2 to a (used) Summarit 35/2.5 as a compact everyday lens. I expect better bokeh and a little bit more brilliance, 'pop', whatever. I have also considered the Zeiss C Biogon 35/2.8, but I'm not sure if it is too contrasty for both colour and b/w work on digital.

Does this sound reasonable, or isn't the Summarit worth triple the price of the Summicron-C?

I have searched the web for comparisons, but I only found 'Summicron-C vs.Summicron 35' or 'Summicron 35 vs. Summarit' ones. Feel free to post me links if I overlooked something.

Thanks,

Matthias

The Summarit is of course a very good lens and excellent value for money, but that old Summicron is no slouch either. I am not convinced you will see enough of a quality improvement on your prints to justify the extra outlay. Certainly the difference in bokeh is a matter of taste.

I am considering a switch from my Summicron-C 40/2 to a (used) Summarit 35/2.5 as a compact everyday lens.

The Summicron is probably quite cheap, but I would most certainly get the Summarit 35.

• 6Bit coding
  • normal filter can be used (the Summicron-C is just annoying in terms of filters, which you will need on the M8. It's 39mm but no the regular 39mm)
  • there are frames for 35 on the M8

Plus the standard Summicron-C brings up the 50mm frames on the M8. You would have to modify it (file down some metal) to bring up the more appropriate 35mm frames.

So, unless the Summicron-C is dirt cheap I would prefer the Summarit 35...

and if it really has to be a Summicron-C (Leica CL lens), then I would take the Minolta version of it because it takes standard 40,5mm filters which you can actually buy (new) today.

All of this isn't an issue to me. I have filed my Summicron's bayonet, so the 35mm frame is brought up, and it matches the 40mm even better than a 35mm lens. And my B+W 39mm filter sits tightly in the thread. I'm really only concerned about image quality.

The Summicron is probably quite cheap, but I would most certainly get the Summarit 35.

• 6Bit coding
  • normal filter can be used (the Summicron-C is just annoying in terms of filters, which you will need on the M8. It's 39mm but no the regular 39mm)

Plus the standard Summicron-C brings up the 50mm frames on the M8. You would have to modify it (file down some metal) to bring up the more appropriate 35mm frames.

and if it really has to be a Summicron-C (Leica CL lens), then I would take the Minolta version of it because it takes standard 40,5mm filters which you can actually buy (new) today.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• 6Bit coding

Some considerations -

1. Coding/modifying is not expensive. Get a quote from a Leica repairperson. I paid under 100 Euro.

2. The standard rubber lenshood takes rimless glass from any 39 mm filter.

3. Heavystar sells a 39 mm adapter plus nice lenshood for the lens which is also quite inexpensive and of excellent quality.

4. The frames for 35 mm are better matched to 40 mm than to 35..:o

• 6Bit coding

but the summicron c is f2.0

is almost half the weight of the summarit

more compact, esp with rubber hood

-- probably more contrasty than the summarit though

-- better ergonomics (tab)

-- summarit will have better (more accurate/contemporary) colour, b/c of the modern coatings and more flare resistant

Edited by sparkie

This won't be any surprise to anyone, but I'd vote for the Summarit. This is a real little gem of a lens, and I'm pretty certain that in time it will become a much sought after item. :)

should be interesting to see down the line

not dissimilar to the 35 summicron 1st version - which is highly sought after. yet its sibling the 35 summaron is mostly forgotten/highly underestimated. but is a truly superb B&W lens - a little gem also

The Summarit delivers marvelous color transitions.

Fallen fronds

It's sharp, too. Even on the Web, you can tell the lens got these tree rings, even though you probably cannot really see the individual rings in the Web image.

Tree rings

Bokeh is not its strong point. Nothing wrong, just easier to get emotional bokeh with a longer focal length.

Ken Rockwell just posted some large JPG files taken with the modern Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH on an M9. For about 20% of the price if you look around, the Summarit gives better photos, to my eye.

B+W makes new 486 (UV/IR) filters in Series 5.5. Foto Huppert lists them at €60 incl german VAT

Finding a rubber hood that is fully functional will be a challenge, they're showing their age and are getting brittle and hard to work with. You can off cause be lucky and find one that works as intended. I have two that don't really work so I stuck a metal hood on mine.

I like both lenses (I have used the 35/2.5 on my M8), so I'd say it depends on what you like, want and are prepared to pay.

If you get the Summarit, buy the extra hood and cap. Think of it as insurance.

Carl

Edited by cbretteville

Really? I would have expected the opposite from a single coated lens of the 70s compared to a modern lens.

Pretty sure. I have both but not shot either recently. The summicron C is a very sharp and contrasty lens in my experience.

B+W makes new 486 (UV/IR) filters in Series 5.5. Foto Huppert lists them at €60 incl german VAT

I checked both Hupport und B&W website, neither lists series 5.5 filters anymore. I can occasionally find some used UV filters for 5.5 via the known channels.

So, my impression would be: no more new filters; if you can get your hands on one, buy it.

Pretty sure. I have both but not shot either recently. The summicron C is a very sharp and contrasty lens in my experience.

IMHO the Summicron-C does not have more contrast. It is noticeably (certainly on digital, less so on film) less sharp wide open at 2.0 this improves with smaller apertures. But then, the Summarit is a stop slower to begin with.

Both lenses quite simply have different characteristics - you have to try both and decide for yourself as this is really a matter of taste.

There are the known advantages of getting a Summarit lens; we have discussed those already.

I think, both the Summicron-C and Summarit are highly underrated and under appreciated lenses. The Summicron-C was widely seen as the cheapo lens for the Leica CL with a Minolta twin. The Summarit is widely seen as a cheapo Leica lens for people who can't afford the real thing.

Neither is true. Both are excellent lenses (and the Summarit may be cheap by Leica standards, but it is still a 1500 EUR lens). Both are centuries apart and both have distinct characteristics with the newer lenses (as most newer Leica lenses) focusing quite a bit on sharpness and contrast.

• Like 4

I think, both the Summicron-C and Summarit are highly underrated and under appreciated lenses. The Summicron-C was widely seen as the cheapo lens for the Leica CL with a Minolta twin. The Summarit is widely seen as a cheapo Leica lens for people who can't afford the real thing.

Neither is true. Both are excellent lenses (and the Summarit may be cheap by Leica standards, but it is still a 1500 EUR lens). Both are centuries apart and both have distinct characteristics with the newer lenses (as most newer Leica lenses) focusing quite a bit on sharpness and contrast.

May I please second this comment.

There does seem to be a lot of 'cost snobbery' around these days. Not just here in the Leica forum, but in general. I've owned and used many different Leica lenses in the past, and I find the Summarits to be excellent lenses in all respects. If you really need the extra speed, then you will have to pay more for more expensive lenses. But for the rest of the time f:2.5 is fine, and you get a more compact lens that you don't have to sell your children to afford.

The same holds true for other brands too. Although I have a Nikon 50mm f:1.4G lens, I also have a couple of the 50mm f:1.8d lenses. I love the compact size and low weight of these, and the images that they can produce are lovely and sharp with very nice contrast. I discovered this a long time ago when they first appeared as the manual focus series E lens, and I've used them ever since. (The AF version works very well in MF too.)

I can't understand why people are so quick to turn their noses up at some lenses purely because of their lower cost. :confused:

• Like 2

I checked both Hupport und B&W website, neither lists series 5.5 filters anymore. I can occasionally find some used UV filters for 5.5 via the known channels.

So, my impression would be: no more new filters; if you can get your hands on one, buy it.

You don't need them, just remove the metal from any 39 mm filter and use the glass.