Sign in to follow this  
mawe3000

Summicron-C vs. Summarit 35

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I please second this comment....

I can't understand why people are so quick to turn their noses up at some lenses purely because of their lower cost.

Hi Nicol

[irony alert]

my purse is larger then your purse, and no returns, ya

[/irony alert]

sigh

There is a cult of CLs that have no kit lens cause they have been separated from their bodies.

People like the signature and focal length, of the cron-C.

I use the CV f/2.5 35mm and the CV f/1.4 40mm, as they are even cheaper than the Leica s, but are just as good, for photos, you wont see differences in grap shots at 1/125, if you always use a 10 kilo tripod you might need the asph for brick wall shots, otherwise.

Do you carry a tripod?

The cron-C is probably not colectible now you have filed it, I use an elastic band...

Noel

However, I prefer the Summarit's handling (short focus throw, weakly damped, better tab).

Yes, same reason I much prefer to use my 50 Summarit over my 50 Summilux ASPH. I also strongly prefer the balance of the slower smaller lenses on the camera body (particularly when using the M9 which has a kind of hollow 'tinny' feel to it).

Modern ones seem to be thicker in my experience. Old leica ones fit, and bare glass fits, but I had problems mounting a new B&W.

Just to add to the confusion, I have a B+W 5.5 and it fits the summicron-c hood perfectly. Not sure of its vintage, though the font is the same type as the UV/IR B+W in the eBay ad.

Edited by LondonR
Updated.

Will the 35 allow you to take better photographs than the 40? Almost all the technical differences can be fixed pp.

The quality of your eye is the thing.....

Graeme

Some (all?) photogs feel better with such or such lens and do take better photos with it. One of the reasons of the success of the 40/2 i guess. Could be the same with the 35/2.5 who knows. Better tab for those who prefer convex ones. Higher contrast for those preferring flashy colors. Less flare as well. Tempting less indeed. Pity that i have too many lenses according to Swmbo.

Some (all?) photogs feel better with such or such lens and do take better photos with it. One of the reasons of the success of the 40/2 i guess. Could be the same with the 35/2.5 who knows. Better tab for those who prefer convex ones. Higher contrast for those preferring flashy colors. Less flare as well. Tempting less indeed. Pity that i have too many lenses according to Swmbo.

I find using just one lens strangely liberating......

Graeme

Will the 35 allow you to take better photographs than the 40? Almost all the technical differences can be fixed pp.

The quality of your eye is the thing.....

Graeme

I really like the photographs the 40/2 allows you to take, Graeme.

Do you drink always the same wine?

Not the same thing at all.

The gadgetry is a distraction for me as an amateur. I need limits so that I have to work harder. It means when I goof I can't blame my tools.

Graeme

I like changing lenses but it's just me. Now i'm travelling with M8.2, 28/2.8A, 50/2.8 and CV 21/4 in a tiny case. Quite funny.

...I have a B+W 5.5 and it fits the summicron-c hood perfectly. Not sure of its vintage...

My current series 5.5 B+W UV/IR-cut 486 fits the 40/2 hood perfectly as well.

Just received the Summarit 35 (right). Significantly bulkier than Summicrons 40/2 (left) and 35/2v4 (middle). 9 diaphragm blades instead of 10. Closest focus distance 0.8 meter instead or 0.7.

Same making quality apparently. Smooth focusing. The aperture ring is close to the focussing ring, which is handy for me as i use the index finger to slide the focus tab. More so than with 40/2 and 35/2v4 i feel as the Summarit's aperture ring is entirely dented.

IQ wise, the Summarit 35 is part of those (too) rare lenses with high contrast, no perceptible flare and very soft bokeh.

Only tested it at f/2.8 so far (links below) but it could well dethrone the 35/2v4 as king of bokeh if it behaves the same at other apertures. What is remarkable is that OoF is smooth not only in backgrounds but also in foregrounds, which would be incompatible according to some theories.

It is too soon for me to conclude at this stage as i've just received the lens but this little boy could well replace the 40/2 in my Leica bag as the Summicron 40 does not fit well both 35mm and 50mm framelines of the M8.2.

M8.2, 35/2.5, f/2.8, handheld

(9 MB files)

http://tinyurl.com/6hooorc

http://tinyurl.com/628ax39

http://tinyurl.com/6zscr56

http://tinyurl.com/6jnxls5

I have a summicron-C which I think is just great due to its small size, however, I bought it used and it did not come with the rubber lens shade. This has resulted in some poor shots with flare from bright sunlight, which I had not anticipated.

Hi

I dont use digital but...

When I'm using a short scale film and it is sunny I use a SC lens (Canon LTM or Leica, or a CV SC 'special'), the modern MC lens will lazer weapon my high lighta all too frequently... M8 and M9 are not going to be that different... Yes you can get flare, and yes you really need a good hood, even for open scenes, dont need the sun just out of frame... The CLE lens may have better coating and be higher contrast.

Many people buy the Cv SCs from new...

As well as the contract compression you will get more pastel colors, dependent on scene contrast.

Series 5.5 filters all should fit under the CL hood they should be to the industry standard, the series 5.5 threads are not standard E39 threads how ever much you say... If series 39mm filters fit then some one ehas damaged the threads.

The CL 40mm cron does not have the performance of the Summarit at f/2.5 or even /5.6 and smaller, off axis it is softer but unless you use slow film and a tripod this wont be a real problem i.e. you wont see it. You can tell yourself porkies is you want.

Not got a summarit the CV f/2.5s better erginomically for me, smaller and cheaper as well, too contrasty for suny days though, the summarit probably more so.

Noel

I have a summicron-C which I think is just great due to its small size, however, I bought it used and it did not come with the rubber lens shade. This has resulted in some poor shots with flare from bright sunlight, which I had not anticipated.
I, too, find this lens to be quite prone to flare. I do not think a rubber lens shade will help much.

No - but the dedicated Heavystar shade will do the trick

...I do not think a rubber lens shade will help much.

Why so? I'm using the same for my 28, 35 & 50mm small lenses. It is more effective than modern built-in hoods by far.

Why so? I'm using the same for my 28, 35 & 50mm small lenses. It is more effective than modern built-in hoods by far.

And more so than the 39mm wide Heavystar, or Leica's 12549 / 12550 as well.

Which "the same" do you refer to? I have fashioned together a lens hood with a mask and it helps; my comment was with respect to 'standard-issue' hoods.

Summicron 40/2 hood (12518) compared to wide Heavystar and Leica 12550 for Elmar 50/2.8. The vented Heavystar is just one millimeter taller than the 12518.