Summicron-C vs. Summarit 35

mawe3000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I checked both Hupport und B&W website, neither lists series 5.5 filters anymore. I can occasionally find some used UV filters for 5.5 via the known channels.

So, my impression would be: no more new filters; if you can get your hands on one, buy it.

This is from http://foto-huppert.com as I'm tapping this on my phone:

Spezialfilter 486 UV IR Cut MRC

Serie 5,5 (36,0 mm)

B+W

Bestell-Nr.:90670486

1 Stück: 59,90 EUR

I checked it before I posted above and I rechecked just now. I can't say if they're in stock, but at least they're listed.

Carl

I think a current 5.5 filter may be too thick for the rubber hood and will only fit with the adapter - which has no thread to take a hood - :(.

Edited by jaapv

This won't be any surprise to anyone, but I'd vote for the Summarit. This is a real little gem of a lens, and I'm pretty certain that in time it will become a much sought after item. :)

I agree with Nicole.

I would add that, from an image quality perspective, the summarit has the advantage of a much more modern coating which is likely to produce significantly better results in images where flare is an issue. I love shooting into the sun, so for me, lenses with good flare control are essential.

--Gib

You don't need them, just remove the metal from any 39 mm filter and use the glass.

Not that easy, however. I broke a B+W filter trying to do so. Also, the Leica filters seem to have slightly larger glass that does not fit the hood.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You unscrew the retaining ring using a small sharp screwdriver of mini-chisel for the first mm or so and a piece of rubber for the rest. It comes out quite easily. I don't have experience with leica filters, I sacrifice B&W ones.

If you are not into Leica snobbery you might as well consider the CLE version of the Konica 40mm f/2 Hexanon which has the same optical diagram as the 40mm Summicron-C but with improved lens coating. The other benefits is that it uses standard 40.5mm filters and it's slightly cheaper than the Summicron-C at the used market.

I used a 5.5 adapter that was made for the lens and DAG cut some 39mm threads for me...:)

Yes good solution as well but needs to cut filter threads onto the adapter as you say. This adapter (# 11251) was not made for the 40/2 BTW but to retain series 5.5 filters onto the rubber hood (# 11250) of the Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8. Reason why it doesn't have filter threads for the latters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Having used both, the 40 Summicron has a much smoother transition to the the oof areas than the Summarit. Where the Summarit shines is when you want a wider depth to be in focus. It is a less "artful" lens than either the 40 Summicron or Rokkor. That said, each has it's own niche.

My personal choice has been the CL 40 Rokkor, as it's new coatings make it more flair resistant. Quality build, small package & wide open, it renders beautiful color & even better B&W images.

Interesting indeed. Do you mean that the M-Rokkor 40/2 is a Konica lens?

Yes, I meant the Konica Rokkor 40mm. Thanks. People rave about the 40mm summicron-c and there is a very good reason for it. But the 40mm Rokkor is basically the same lens with better coating.

The 40mm Summicron and the Rokkor have so convenient focal lenght, small, and cheap that is probably the lens I will never sell as long as I shoot with rangefinders.

Yes, I meant the Konica Rokkor 40mm. Thanks. People rave about the 40mm summicron-c and there is a very good reason for it. But the 40mm Rokkor is basically the same lens with better coating.

The 40mm Summicron and the Rokkor have so convenient focal lenght, small, and cheap that is probably the lens I will never sell as long as I shoot with rangefinders.

I think you are mistaken - the 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lenses were made by Minolta, not Konica, if the many Internet references to this lens are to believed. Konica did not acquire Minolta until much later, after manufacturing of this lens had been discontinued.

Regards, Jim

Guest joewehry

I have had both lenses. I loved the smoothness of the Summicron C for portrait work, but think it fell short when I wanted the sharpness and got the Summarit. The dif' between 2.5 and 2 is not important for my work. I also felt the focus on the Summicron C was stiffer and slower than the Summarit which I found easier and faster to focus.

I agree with advice of previous post to ask you dealer to do a few test shots at all apertures with each lens, make your prints and see which meets your needs and budget

• 1 month later...

A little update on the topic. I decided to try a new C-Biogon 35/2.8. I liked it but found it too contrasty in the sunlight, plus its strong vignetting wide open disturbed me. So it went back. Next I found a used Summarit 35/2.5 and Summaron 35/2.8 and couldn't resist to order both. The Summarit is a little bit more conrasty, the Summaron a bit less contrasty than my Summicron-C . I really liked the out-of-focus background rendering of the Summaron and might have chosen it over the others, but it had a slight front focus on my M8, so I sent it back. Which leaves me with the Summarit and the Summicron-C. Optically, at f2.8, I would consider them equal. However, I prefer the Summarit's handling (short focus throw, weakly damped, better tab).

By the way, having destroyed my B+W 39mm UV/IR filter when trying to remove the rim, I ordered the above mentioned Series 5.5 filter from Huppert. It took 4 weeks to arrive, but it's a perfect fit for the Summicron-C's hood. Seems they ordered two of them, because they have another one on ebay right now:

B+W 486 UV IR Cut Digital, Serie 5,5 für Leica M | eBay

Edited by mawe3000