Reason for still using film (again)?

sm23221

Guest nafpie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think Thomasis' post was an over-reaction nor was it a veiled insult. Nafpie's post, on the other hand was a (not very) veiled insult - the intention was very clear, and even clearer in his follow-up remark. I don't see the need for anyone to jump to his defense.

Incidentally, I had to click to see nafpie's posts as I added him to my ignore list long ago for precisely this reason. Unfortunately there are some individuals who enjoy poking at what they consider the insecurities of their fellow human beings. Nafpie seems to enjoy the discomfort he causes. I have nothing but contempt for that sort of malicious behavior.

Thank you for making my theory more and more plausible.

... I don't see the need for anyone to jump to his defense.

Let me be clear about this, Mani, I wasn't jumping to anyone's defence. The comment was a derogatory generalisation about another forum member's behaviour and therefore an insult. To say: "As usual so-and-so misses the point ..." is derogatory and I felt it was unnecessary and would derail the thread. And as you can see the thread has been derailed.

Pete.

Let me be clear about this, Mani, I wasn't jumping to anyone's defence. The comment was a derogatory generalisation about another forum member's behaviour and therefore an insult. To say: "As usual so-and-so misses the point ..." is derogatory and I felt it was unnecessary and would derail the thread. And as you can see the thread has been derailed.

Pete.

I know nafpie more well by reading his earlier several posts. To generalize it'd be enough to read ONLY single post but I created my opinion based on several posts.

Better if you try to understand what we were talking about instead focusing too much on semantics. :rolleyes:

the thread is not derailed because we "still discuss" about film users insecurities whether it is due their weak character or other causes. :cool:

Hi Pete

Fair enough - I understand your viewpoint. For what it's worth, this is my take:

- there are some members on the forum who fill the threads with enthusiasm and information: they add to the utility of the forum and their interest and love for the medium is so palpable that it becomes infectious. I enjoy their contribution, even sometimes when their passion leads them to posts like the one from tomasis in this thread.

- there are other members who look to this forum as a place where they can exercise their malice and seek every opportunity to irritate and annoy. They can do this in manifold ways and often in such a sophisticated manner that they can defend their malicious comments as innocent and misunderstood, if anyone stands up and questions their motives.

Needless to say, those people end-up on my ignore list - especially when I notice that this negativity is their only contribution to the forum.

In any case, to begin to redirect the thread to its original purpose, but also address the attempted derailment: I don't see that film users are insecure about their choice in any way whatsoever - quite the reverse in fact. Choosing film is a very positive action these days, when undeniably the majority of photographers use digital cameras (or even just smartphones). Film users like me, who've pretty much grown-up with digital imagery, have nothing to be jealous or insecure about - especially when we tend to mix both media.

What we can be nervous about is the continued availability of film - and the only thing we can do concerning that, is buy and use as much film as possible - and encourage others to do the same.

Naturally there exist malevolent elements who enjoy our discomfort. Best to simply ignore them - as I have done.

• Like 3

One thing that makes me use film is how it differs to digital beyond the visual qualities.

On film, an image becomes matter. It can be seen, could even be felt (the Kodachrome engraving-like emulsion!) without having to use another interface, electronic or print. Every frame of film is already an object, created from what I've seen and photographed. To me that's more satisfying. It materializes what I perceived (well, in the ideal case...), instead of transforming it into pure mathematics which I don't grasp (no pun intended, tomasis7).

Cheers,

Alexander

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not that digital is bad or anything, but I prefer the film image. And in this world filled with technological gizmos, I like the more basic medium. It makes me feel more connected to the pictures. It's more rewarding when a good one pops up. The delayed satisfaction is very nice too. It extends the experience. And I figure that film may be gone some day (although that's becoming less likely). So why not use it while it is here?

• Like 2

I want to add one thing. I check MP thead sometimes and Im impressed by guys who buy a new MP. It requires strong character (and a bit of stubborness) :D;)

I'm a fairly young guy, but buying an MP is more than just a nostalgic dream. A camera that will last a lifetime, that my kids can use. Something to have pride in owning and maintaining.

I have never been excited about buying a digital body... Something that ultimately is unceremoniously tossed or sold within just years.

Come to think of it, almost all of my treasured prints and images are done with film too. It is just the way it is. It is a tactile, artisan's medium. Not everyone will understand or appreciate it... But that is cool with me

• Like 3

I just got an MP!!!!. Am I happy about it, very. but what about digital?? well, I really like film and silver gelatin prints. Is this better or worth?? I do not care, I like film, I like developing, manipulating, and printing in the darkroom. But what about the quality of the M9: Well, I have an M9, I like it very much, however, no matter how good the files are, I still like the look of film.

I think the issue of digital vs. film is about preference and taste. Let everyone enjoy what they like. For me, I added a Leica MP, to my already existing M3, and M7. (oh I forgot M9 as well).:)

Best,

Edgar

Edgar Angelone - Black and White Photography - Gelatin Silver and Platinum Prints

• Like 1

I just got an MP!!!!. Am I happy about it, very. but what about digital?? well, I really like film and silver gelatin prints. Is this better or worth?? I do not care, I like film, I like developing, manipulating, and printing in the darkroom. But what about the quality of the M9: Well, I have an M9, I like it very much, however, no matter how good the files are, I still like the look of film.

I think the issue of digital vs. film is about preference and taste. Let everyone enjoy what they like. For me, I added a Leica MP, to my already existing M3, and M7. (oh I forgot M9 as well).:)

Best,

Edgar

Edgar Angelone - Black and White Photography - Gelatin Silver and Platinum Prints

fine page a pleasure, to look in,

thx

kr matt

• Like 1

Best,

Edgar

Edgar;

You have a spectacular website! I absolutely love your bw gelatin prints. Enjoy the MP.

• Like 1