Reason for still using film (again)?

sm23221

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What holds me back a bit about film is that once your camera is loaded with BW film, it cannot easily be changed to color until the roll is finished. If one always shoots in RAW then it is easier to either retain the color version or convert to BW. I wonder how many good shots have been sacrificed because of this limitation. (Do not interpret this response as a reason NOT to use film).

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/165258-b-w-negative-c41-color-negative.html

Pete

What holds me back a bit about film is that once your camera is loaded with BW film, it cannot easily be changed to color until the roll is finished. .

BTW, I switch rolls very often before finishing them. Jut make sure you always have a marker with you to note down the frame number where you left off. Very often I work on three rolls at the same time.

BTW, I switch rolls very often before finishing them. Jut make sure you always have a marker with you to note down the frame number where you left off. Very often I work on three rolls at the same time.

You might want to consider an extra body too.

As written in other similar threads, I have recently come 'back' to film and for the first time in over twenty years am processing my own b&w negs. I find it a fascinating and rewarding process (the whole gambit of composing, taking, developing and post-processing, that is). The move was partly prompted by a long-lingering love of b&w film, the fact that a lot of my digital images are taken with b&w in mind, then processed with SilverEfexPro and the desire to maximise the use of my M lenses. Result - an M7 recently joined my M9 giving me the best of both worlds and making me a very happy-chappy indeed. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

i) You can convert a C41 color negative to mono

Scan and photoshop or

internegative or

print on pan paper (not seen this last for a while - may be Dodo)

ii) I normally take two bodies on a hol or bus trip, easy to have one fail during. I normally have more then two on photo shoot, gets around the x36 shots problem, and the baseplate loading.

Noel

What holds me back a bit about film is that once your camera is loaded with BW film, it cannot easily be changed to color until the roll is finished. If one always shoots in RAW then it is easier to either retain the color version or convert to BW.

When I have a b/w film loaded I am looking for "b/w images". Its a totally different eye. Its restricting but also very inspiring.

• Like 1

When I have a b/w film loaded I am looking for "b/w images". Its a totally different eye. Its restricting but also very inspiring.

Hi

But that is not the point, if you have C41 color loaded and you see a nice shot, you can shoot a 'mono graphic image' in colorr, scan it, save it as a high dynamic range TIFF and convert it to a real mono image, the last the same as you would do with a M9 color image.

The only difference is the C41 toe and shoulder wont have the M9 '0' or '111...' respectively, they will be limited by the scanners ability to burn through the film.

But you can make an internegative on 5x4 pack...

Noel

But that is not the point, if you have C41 color loaded and you see a nice shot, you can shoot a 'mono graphic image' in colorr, scan it, save it as a high dynamic range TIFF and convert it to a real mono image, the last the same as you would do with a M9 color image.

Yes, but that is not the point either. It's a "head game", and one that I absolutely subscribe to. If I know I am using monochrome film, I see the world in monochrome and shoot accordingly. If I know I have the colour option, I do not see in such absolute terms.

I know where mscore is coming from... ;)

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill

You are not understanding the OP's situation, he is a (possibly ex-) Dcamera person, if you see a transitory B&W image and you have only color C41 or chrome loaded, you shoot anyway. You dont bother about swapping film or bodies.

Salvage a mono image later like you had a M8 or M9.

What would you do with a M8 or M9?

Noel

Edited by Xmas
declension

Hi Bill

You are not understanding the OP's situation, he is a (possibly ex-) Dcamera person, if you see a transitory B&W image and you have only color C41 or chrome loaded, you shoot anyway. You dont bother about swapping film or bodies.

Salvage a mono image later like you had a M8 or M9.

What would you do with a M8 or M9?

Noel

Well, you'd have the option to switch to shooting jpeg only in black and white. No colour images would be saved to the SD card, so in essence it would be the same as shooting black and white film.

Pete.

Guest nafpie
Why the heck would anyone need a 'reason' for using film!? :eek:

If you feel you want to use film (for whatever reason, or even no reason at all) then by all means go ahead and use it!

You missed the point.

Threads like this are helpful for people who decided to use film, but without being sure about their decision, looking for some encouragement.

Is this veiled insult necessary? It's ad hominem and unnecessarily alters the tone of the thread.:mad:

Pete.

insult? i dont think. negative post yes. I add another negative post after nafpies one :D

Guest nafpie
I add another negative post after nafpies one

I am sure my posting isn't negative in any way.

All I tried is to find an obvious motive for threads like this (there are plenty more existing and the number is growing in regular intervals).

Nothing to care about. ;)

BTW: I can't remember if I ever saw a thread called 'Reason for already using digital' or something like this.

I am sure my posting isn't negative in any way.

All I tried is to find an obvious motive for threads like this (there are plenty more existing and the number is growing in regular intervals).

Nothing to care about. ;)

BTW: I can't remember if I ever saw a thread called 'Reason for already using digital' or something like this.

Never mind. I overreacted a bit ;) I'm used to your jokes too much.

It is easy to understand when some hesitate if they hear horror stories about death of films, prices of material rise, labs are closing. Negativity spreads quite fast around on the internet as forum especially if very few doom sayers are very active.

It is not my problem really but I emphasize with them who are hesitant.

The reason for no thread as "reason for using digital" because digital is presence and future. People see that everybody (almost) use digital so they think "I must do same".

Sheep mentality, you know ;) Serious photographers are exception of course and Im glad that phones are taking over as "recording medium" so still digital photographers can be nice to get along with anyway.

• Like 1

I don't think Thomasis' post was an over-reaction nor was it a veiled insult. Nafpie's post, on the other hand was a (not very) veiled insult - the intention was very clear, and even clearer in his follow-up remark. I don't see the need for anyone to jump to his defense.

Incidentally, I had to click to see nafpie's posts as I added him to my ignore list long ago for precisely this reason. Unfortunately there are some individuals who enjoy poking at what they consider the insecurities of their fellow human beings. Nafpie seems to enjoy the discomfort he causes. I have nothing but contempt for that sort of malicious behavior.

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 1