why do so many M8 users shoot......

due163

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see a lot of m8 shots that are black and white , especially on flickr

Most of what I post online is in black and white. The reason? Colour is more difficult. I don't mean that the M8 can't accurately reproduce colours - it can - but colour photography involves knowing how colours work together. Something I for one haven't studied. For example very often colour _detracts_ from the composition rather than contributes to it.

I'm not saying that there are hard and fast rules about how colour is used, and it's all a personal opinion anyway.

I think it is simply a matter of preference. I sometimes retain color images but mostly convert to B&W because I find it lends itself to being more of an artistic medium. A photo of a red apple will likely be boring but a black & white image of the same apple will be more interesting to me.

Not only does the M8 do very nice B&W images, it is almost the perfect platform for IR images, given that the required filter is almost impossible to see through with a SLR camera.

It is not a problem with an rangefinder camera.

Also in an article by Harold Merklinger (luLa I think), he claimed that the M8 light meter gave perfect exposures with an IR filter in place.

So........ very good B&W camera, terrific IR camera :cool:

Not only does the M8 do very nice B&W images, it is almost the perfect platform for IR images, given that the required filter is almost impossible to see through with a SLR camera.

It is not a problem with an rangefinder camera.

Also in an article by Harold Merklinger (luLa I think), he claimed that the M8 light meter gave perfect exposures with an IR filter in place.

So........ very good B&W camera, terrific IR camera :cool:

If you Google IR and the M8 you will find that the M8 is a very bad choice as IR camera, many other cameras are easily freed of their internal AA filter pack and much better results are possible, the Nikon D200 is one of the best options I know of, I will recommend to join NikonGear.com if you are into UV or IR photography, some of the most knowledge people in this field can help you go further into the invisible world.

:confused::confused:Why should an artistic preference of a group of users influence a buying decision?

Because some people think a camera will make them better photographers. I would imagine a huge amount of camera sales are grateful to it. Leica must have had a fair slice of the pie.

A survey of gallery inventories and prices as well as auction results clearly supports this.In many galleries it is uncommon to see any color work at all. .

I collect vintage photographs and books, virtually all black and white, but your statement doesn't reflect the recent market, particularly regarding auction values. The top two photographs here , at $3 million plus, are color photographs. Other contemporary photographers such as Cindy Sherman, et. al. command extremely high prices. Many people who collect contemporary paintings have begun collecting contemporary color photography. This has brought prices way up since, compared to some paintings, the photographs are still relatively 'inexpensive'...although few here would consider $3 million inexpensive. And, as the Steichen photograph shows, one doesn't have to be contemporary.

Jeff

If you Google IR and the M8 you will find that the M8 is a very bad choice as IR camera, many other cameras are easily freed of their internal AA filter pack and much better results are possible, the Nikon D200 is one of the best options I know of, I will recommend to join NikonGear.com if you are into UV or IR photography, some of the most knowledge people in this field can help you go further into the invisible world.

I feel such a fool.....:o:rolleyes: Want some UV shots too? The M8 is probably the best IR/UV camera there is, for one thing you don't lose the viewfinder image or the focussing, and the IR sensitivity is ample for handheld shooting. It runs rings around any chopped DSLR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have also collected vintage photographs over the last several decades so perhaps most of my comments ore in the context of my statement of B&W being historically significant photography and perhaps not entirely precise regarding the contemporary art prhotography market. I just spent four days in Santa Fe and visited a number of photo galleries. Most of the exhibited work was still B&W--though I did see some Annie Liebowitz color portraits and Chris Burkett color landscapes.

You can mount the filter in front of the sensor, that way you have full control of the process and get documented, much better UV and IR captures.

Please visit one of my friends site for more information:

Photography of the Invisible World

Sorry but I'm definitely not impressed by those two captures, but if they fulfill you goal than keep shooting;)

I lived in Santa Fe for 5 years. The galleries there cater to the tons of photographers who go there to try and emulate famous b/w photographers who visited. Go to LA, NY or any other large market and you'll see much more diversity. I didn't have to wander far this past weekend in Baltimore to see this exhibit , which includes recent b/w and color work from the museum's archive.

The Photo-Eye book store and gallery in Santa Fe, however, is worth a visit.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I agree with Jaap. The M8 is an excellent camera for IR; all it takes is a visible spectrum blocking filter screwed to the lens of your choice and away you go. The camera meters well, with a suitably fast lens IR can be shot hand held, there's no problem viewing the scene, and normal photography can be resumed as desired by unscrewing the filter.

Otoh, a Canon D200 either has to be dedicated to IR by having the IR blocking filter over its sensor replaced with a visible spectrum blocking filter, or by removing its IR blocking filter and using a visible spectrum blocking filter, which means the TTL viewfinder can't be used.

Some examples of M8 IR shots with a B+H 093 "black" filter handheld:

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

And I googled IR and M8 and I am utterly puzzled where the assertion "very bad IR camera" comes from. The only thing I could find was a post in RFF where somebody posted some horrible stuff with extreme camera shake and out of focus, but that is hardly the camera at fault.

• Like 1

Because some people think a camera will make them better photographers. I would imagine a huge amount of camera sales are grateful to it. Leica must have had a fair slice of the pie.

Im not sure what you mean , are you making a statement about photography in general? or about me specifically?

And I googled IR and M8 and I am utterly puzzled where the assertion "very bad IR camera" comes from. The only thing I could find was a post in RFF where somebody posted some horrible stuff with extreme camera shake and out of focus, but that is hardly the camera at fault.

I stated it was 'a bad choice' ;) not "very bad IR camera",,, :rolleyes:

What I meant by trying a Google search for IR M8 was exactly what you did; Nothing

However if you search for: 'IR Nikon D200' then you will find a wealth of IR :D

There are a several technical reasons for this that I don't bother with, I just enjoy the experts advice. It was meant as a heads up for Invisible light prospects.

Truly I'm sorry for stepping on your 'Red Velvet Leica Carpet' I'll try and behave in the future ;)

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund

How can the M8 be a bad choice for IR photography when you not only don't need to resort to surgery, but can see what you are photographing?

I just did a search on "Leica M8 photography" and got 38,000 hits. I searched "M8 IR photographs" and got 198,000 hits. "IR M8" gave just over 2,000,000 hits. Can't understand how you couldn't find any.